S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Its time to order, which would you choose?

Old 02-09-2005, 03:15 PM
bao

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Its time to order, which would you choose?

I posted recently about my upcoming system build up.. and after many hours of doing my homework and listening to oh.. I don't know how many different sets of speakers, many store visits, and friend's cars takeovers.. I have decided on these particular choices.. all you have to tell me is which you would choose out of the list.

Head Unit... no choice here, I'm going to use my Alpine 7998

Component speakers:

A. Focal Utopia
B. Boston Acoustics Z6
C. Boston Acoustics Pro
D. Dyn Audio 240GT

Sub -No choice here either, I decided on it already.

A. Image Dynamics IDMAX 10 (I have 2, but I'm just going to use one)

Amp (sub)

A. Zapco Reference 1100.1
B. Arc Audio 1500XXK ( a little out of price range but i'd still buy it if i get good inputs)
C. Memphis 16-MC1000
D. Memphis 16-pr1kd

Amp (comps)

A. Soundstream Van Gogh 600.2
B. PG titanium 600.2

And any reccomendations for a 2 channel amp would be appreciated.

I'm looking for good sound quality, clarity is a must (i listen to alot of guitar solos) I used to have infinity perfects and they're too harsh, I want something not quite so "ear screeching". And as far as bass go, I want clean bass, none of that trying to thump the cars next to me, I dont care for showing off, I just want to have a nice system for myself, and myself alone in my car.

You could choose off the list or offer a good suggestion, that would all be appreciated.

I start ordering my stuff in a couple of days, Hopefull ya'll would be able to help me out.

By the way I'm using all STINGER wiring products.
Old 02-09-2005, 04:47 PM

Bao,

Here is my suggestion.

First of all i have a question. What is your budget?

You said you want clean bass, so it looks like you are asking for suggestions, on bass yet you say you have that all taken care off already for bass.

Ok here we go.

Headunit- you got that already taken care off

Components- if you want clear accurate speakers, then I am going to have to recommend Focal Utopia's. I have them in my car, and they are amazing, doesn't get any better in terms of accurate musical reproduction. Some say Utopia's are over kill for our car due to all the road noise (no sound deadning in our car) but I still went with them and I dont regret it. They sound awesome, handle tons of power ( I am running 125 watts to them and they dont even flinch, I can't even put the volume any higher than half before my ears start to bleed). Only con is the price. I dont know much about the other's you listed, i have heard boston acoustic pro's are great too, that was my first choice before I found out about the Utopia's.

Amp- now, here I am going to recommend you ditch the second amp idea and go with a 4 channel amp to power the whole thing. Once again I am going to recommend what I have. Sound Stream Van gogh 500.4. You said you want clean power and primarily sound quality. This amp will give you this and great power out put. It puts out 125 watts per channel at 4 ohms. I have mine set up as follows:

125 watts per channel to the front components (focal Utopia's)
I have the two rear channels bridged at 2 ohms giving 500 watts to my sub.

The amp is not expensive, great sound quality, runs cool and best of all not that big. I have mine on a PAS2KNUT amp rack in the spare tire area. The trunk in the S is not the biggest, so you want to retain as much as possible, 2 amps is really going to take up some room.

Hope this helps, there are many different choices to choose from and I am sure some of the electronics gods are going to chime in on this for further suggestions.

Pikka
Old 02-09-2005, 05:11 PM
c13

I used to sell car audio for about 3 years. my advise, utopias! can't beat them. i have 180w's in one of my cars and they make my polk momos in my other sound horrible! give them lots of power, bi-amp if possible. i run 90 to my mids and 50 to my tweets with Xtant amps. these would also be my recomendation for amps if you can find a dealer. jl audio makes killer amps as well. i would stay away from the soundstream amps as well, they've kinda gone downhill. kinda living off past glory like rockford fosgate! just my .02 cents
Old 02-09-2005, 08:44 PM
bao

pikkashoe,

Sorry about the confususion on the sub/bass part, what I meant to ask was which amp for my sub would give me good clean bass, none of that "audiobahn" cheap bass.

I have like a 3-4000 dollar budget for now (remember to include wiring, enclosure, and materials i need to have a clean installation because i refuse to have my amps showing), if needed i will wait and spend some more. I'm going to do it right the first time.

As far as the bridge-ing the two other channels idea, my idmax is 1000w rms, I like to overpower or atleast have adequate power to my sub, I hate to underpower it. And I still really want to run separate amps anyway.

I do like utopias, and i also like the boston acoustics, the price isn't a big deal, I just want to know that when I crank it up, which is still going to stay clear and clean. Remember that I am not looking for the "mb quart style" tone.. way too harsh for me.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:53 PM
Spammer

Bao, i understand that you are pretty set on the items that you have listed. but i have only one suggestion to you, the component speakers.

I have heard almost everything you can think of, i have owned many many sets of speakers. I used to have Focal Audiom midrange before, which is their flagship driver. the clarity of the midrange from the audiom does not compare to the SEAS Lotus Reference. i understand what you are looking for, transparent sound and great clarity throughout the entire freq. range. the midbass is snappy like it should be. the midbass from the Lotus will make the midbass from Focal seem sloppy, and the midrange clarity will make the Focals seem warm. the only thing i miss from my Focal setup is the cymbal crashes from the TN-51 tweeter. Keep in mind though that the highs from the Lotus Reference is smooth as butter, never fatiguing like the TN-51 can be sometimes. many audiophiles have said that the midrange is one of the best out there for car audio. with a price tag of only $729, its definately something worth checking out.

everything you need to know about the speakers can be found here SEAS Lotus the reference line is the flagship model.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:55 PM

Focal Utopia.... 750.00 for (2) 6.5 door speaks.?

I'll have whatever it is you guys have been drinking
Old 02-10-2005, 12:48 AM

I think your original suggestions plus Pikka's amp sound right on. That's a very safe, musical system you're working on. One recommendation from me is that you'll want to budget rear speakers in S-Pods from the get-go. I have a hunch that anyone looking for Utopia-type sound is going to want some more rear fill.

I run the MB Quarts and very powerful bass and don't quite need the rears (although sometimes I'd like them), but in the two cars I've heard with Utopias both owners added rear speakers and to my ears they were needed to complete the sound (the rears run at 1-2/10ths of the door speakers but raise the sound image up higher).
Old 02-10-2005, 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by S2K'ing-IN-Spokane' date='Feb 9 2005, 10:55 PM
Focal Utopia.... 750.00 for (2) 6.5 door speaks.?

I'll have whatever it is you guys have been drinking
What, you bought a USD $30k car and not a Toyota Echo!!!?

Constructive posts only, please. Everyone's priorities are different. When you pay the bills then you can pass judgement.

I'm not trying to flame here, but really, let's keep it constructive.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:30 AM
bao

MR ASDF,

I'm not that fixated on the items I've listed, it's just that I've heard them and liked them alot. But I will give your SEAS Lotus a try, because from the setup you listed, I can tell you know what you're talking about. Com'on ARC Audio? Thats not something you can get at Circuit City. I was really considering alot of ARC Audio equipment, but decided to go with Zapco.

At this point I may even change my head unit, I have a Nakamichi 45z that I could use, but it lacks mp3s, and that's not something I am willing to compromise at this point simply because I hate to switch CDs.

S2K'ing-IN-Spokane,

I don't think $750 for a pair of component speakers are that expensive. And are well worth it if you're purchasing the right equipment. There's a set of Dynaudio that costs about $4000, I've heard them and in my opinion blows Focal Utopias away. Just like everything else in life, you et what you pay for.

flitcroft,

I'm not adding Spods for a reason right now, I really dont like the way they're constructed and personally dont think it's that nice looking at all. I hope to have someone be able to custom make a kick panel for me somewhere, where it doesn't place the speaker right behind my head, I have a feeling that will be awkward for me (me, i'm picky with some of my stuff).

Note.
I know that I say I don't want to show off, and I don't, but my close friend has a prelude (i also had the exact one) with his Inifinity reference in front and rear, with PG 4 channel and JL 100.1 pushing one 12" Kicker Comp running off Alpine IVA300? (the touchscreen one). And he thinks his system is so bad ass, So i'm like... ok sure buddy. Just wait til I'm done with my S2K, my one little 10'' will kick your 12''s ass, my components will make yours sound like jensen. I'm competitive, but I don't like to show off in public like some of the people I see around town, always trying to thump their Audiobahn subs pushed by Sony Amps like it was competition quality or something.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:05 AM

BAO

First of all, 1000 watts going to any sub in an S2000 is going to be super overkill. I dont suggest you run that much. Its just over kill. The sub is only about 2 feet behind you. I have 500 watts going to mine and thats more than enough, actually excessive since I have the bass set really low. Now if you want to shake the whole neighborhood and have people in China hear you bass then go for it.

I cannot vouch for FOCAL AUDIOM's , but currently Focal's flagship line is the Utopia line. I dont think it can get any better than the focal utopias. If you are looking for clear sound that you can crank really really loud, these will be perfect. LIke I said, I can't put the volume higher than half, because its actually painful and you can feel yourself loosing your hearing. Mid bass with the Focal's is incredible, I dont know what ASDF was referring to, maybe the older line Audiom, but my Utopia's put out some incredible bass, and there are others on this Forum that can vouch for that (oatnet). Before I had my sub, i had the crossover set at 50hz to the Utopia's, and people would ask me where my sub was!

With a $3000 to $4000 budget, the sky's pretty much the limit. I spent $2000 on my system, this included head unit (which you have already), amp, sub, focals, materials used to make my mdf subwoofer box, all wiring, xm radio components, and speaker grille and dynamat. I dont think you will need to spend that much, save $2000 and get some rims.

$4000 Dynaaudio's, I have heard of those, but I thought it was a myth. How do they sound? Thats bling bling money, Pdiddy style.

One last thing. Since you want a stealth install, I would highly recommend you getting a PAS2KNUT amp rack, that way you can put the amp in the spare tire area, and then cover it up. Thats how I have mine set up. All you would ever be able to see would be your headunit and the sub.

You can see in this picture below, all you see is the sub, the amp is in the spare tire area behind the carpet.

Quick Reply: Its time to order, which would you choose?