S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

I've looked... Need help w/ trunkwell volume! PLEASE

Old 01-20-2004, 10:27 AM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I've looked... Need help w/ trunkwell volume! PLEASE

I know someone said someone said that the toolwell holds about 1.2 cu.ft. I used the search and not with good results. My shop believes there is definitely more than 1.2 with all the carpeting gone. can anyone link the thread where this volume was measured or was it measured with the carpet in?

Again, thanks. I really don't want to go buy more sand!
Old 01-20-2004, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay,

First, I'll give you the validity of this. My friend who helped with math is halfway through a math degree, so his best guess could technically be only a half guess. I was 20% through my engineering degree, so that makes our guess like only 10% lol.

Okay, joking aside we got approximately 1.5 cu ft based on measurements of my trunk the other day. This number is probably a little bit high, so we'd guess with variance and what not that it'd be about 1.2.

Do you need an exact?

Note: This was with carpet in when I took this measurements.
Old 01-20-2004, 11:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no more sand!

Skip, i'm fairly sure that the measurements b0mbrman made (i think his is the 1.2 cu ft number) were done w/ the carpeting in. it's an old old thread and might be very tough to find... he mentions the number in his FAQ, but not how he measured it - which is in another thread...
is there really that much less w/ the carpeting out? also, imo if i were going to measure the volume, i wouldn't do it w/ sand (which i know you were told previously)...
packing peanuts are way cheaper and infinitely lighter.

you could also use something a bit more home friendly... have you tried putting some loosely bunched/folded bath towels in there? then transfer the towels out and fill up a large box (*cough* laundry basket *cough*) and measure/calculate the volume of the box (fill it as many times as it takes - and estimating a partial load). you'll have to try hard to not pack the towels in either case, and focus on maintaining the same approximate packing density. it won't be perfect, but it should give you something ballparkish.

i'm trying to think of something that you might have at the house that would be a bit more regular and consistent than towels, but still easy to clean up...
charcoal? (line the trunk w/ plastic? potential for messy.)
shredded paper from the office? (not as messy, and easy vacuum cleanup, but tricky to not pack.)
you could use polyfill from old pillows... (if you have a bunch of old pillows around, otherwise expensive to buy.)
wife/kid's stuffed animals?

bah, i'm getting desperate here... the towels, charcoal and shredded paper are probably good useable ideas...
Old 01-20-2004, 11:36 AM

I think I received 1.2 cu. ft. as a measurement w/ the carpet in. Although I'm tackling this new enclosure myself, I went to the shop to get some tips. The guy who built my enclosure before, eye-balled it and said it was definitely more than 1.2 with the carpet out.

So 1.5 sounds about right. Unless someone has actually taken a hard measurement, I'll do it as soon as I get a chance. And another note, I asked Jason(my installer) how much space there was in my final product. He said the enclosure he built for me ended up at 1.0 cu ft for 2 JL 10W3v2's. And it hit great. I can't imagine how it's going to sound now!

Old 01-20-2004, 11:40 AM

Thanks!

Gas grill. I guess I'll go to the UPS store and ask if I can "boroow" some packing nuts and then give them back! I just figure sand or water will give a more exact total. Either way, I will provide the answer(w/ pics of course!).
Old 01-20-2004, 11:48 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by FF2Skip
I guess I'll go to the UPS store and ask if I can "borrow" some packing nuts and then give them back!
Old 01-20-2004, 11:53 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by dave22
Don't you think when you're done the inside volume of your enclosure will be about the same as the carpeted trunk?
Old 01-20-2004, 12:03 PM

Originally posted by FF2Skip
Big difference between the two... seriously!
Nevermind, then

And thanks for the offer of your "nuts," but I was in the Marine Corps- not the Navy!
Old 01-20-2004, 12:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

of course, sand or water would give you your best total... but i was trying to keep it from becoming insanely messy...

and all this talk about nuts?
Old 01-20-2004, 12:25 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PJK3
of course, sand or water would give you your best total...

Quick Reply: I've looked... Need help w/ trunkwell volume! PLEASE