S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

JVC VS Alpine

Old 05-20-2010, 11:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default JVC VS Alpine

I just got a JVC and installed it. I noticed i could get an alpine for 10$ more. should i take it back

here are the radios

JVC

Alpine
Old 05-20-2010, 12:13 PM

Alpines have fell off in quality. I had a JVC for a while and is messed up on me. I now have a Pioneer Premier and love it.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by Crackerballer,May 20 2010, 12:13 PM
Alpines have fell off in quality. I had a JVC for a while and is messed up on me. I now have a Pioneer Premier and love it.
If you had to choose which one would you pick?
Old 05-20-2010, 02:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've never bought JVC... and have had several Alpines with no problems... I'd say Alpine? I think it looks better, too.
Old 05-20-2010, 02:59 PM

thanks....hey man did you know heroes is over? it was cancelled.

I like the jvc because of the custom colors...you can create your own hue to match your dash.
Old 05-20-2010, 06:20 PM
DJT

I've actually spent several hours at the Crutchfield store the last couple of weeks comparing JVC vs Alpine. I like the look and feel of the Alpines. They seem quite solid, but, I noticed what eventually has become a major deal breaker for me.

I think it's more of a problem with the iPhones perhaps.

Try to use your iPhone to control your iPhone's iPod feature while connected to an Alpine. It's not possible. You are forced to use the Alpine to control your iPhone's music. The iPhone just tells you that it's connected to an external unit.

That's not so bad, unless you want to do something like this:

Loving listening to my Led Zepplin. Hmm ... let me play songs from a different album by Led Zepplin. You have to go back to the top menu: Artists [scroll, scroll, scroll] -> Albums [scroll, scroll, scroll] -> etc...

Not such a good design imho. One might even call it a pain in the neck. At least with the JVC (and I think a couple of other) units you can let the iPhone keep control (or not, it's an option) and just use the head unit to play, pause, forward, next, etc...

I guess it's personal preference but the difficulty in backing up one menu level AND the inability to switch between head unit control vs. iPhone control ... make for some major deal breakers for me.

EDIT: I may be incorrect about having to go up to the top level menu. But I could swear I tried hitting the "back" button on the X305S and nothing happened. I'll have to go back up to C'field tomorrow morning. ;-)
Old 05-20-2010, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by DJT,May 20 2010, 06:20 PM
I've actually spent several hours at the Crutchfield store the last couple of weeks comparing JVC vs Alpine. I like the look and feel of the Alpines. They seem quite solid, but, I noticed what eventually has become a major deal breaker for me.

I think it's more of a problem with the iPhones perhaps.

Try to use your iPhone to control your iPhone's iPod feature while connected to an Alpine. It's not possible. You are forced to use the Alpine to control your iPhone's music. The iPhone just tells you that it's connected to an external unit.

That's not so bad, unless you want to do something like this:

Loving listening to my Led Zepplin. Hmm ... let me play songs from a different album by Led Zepplin. You have to go back to the top menu: Artists [scroll, scroll, scroll] -> Albums [scroll, scroll, scroll] -> etc...

Not such a good design imho. One might even call it a pain in the neck. At least with the JVC (and I think a couple of other) units you can let the iPhone keep control (or not, it's an option) and just use the head unit to play, pause, forward, next, etc...

I guess it's personal preference but the difficulty in backing up one menu level AND the inability to switch between head unit control vs. iPhone control ... make for some major deal breakers for me.

EDIT: I may be incorrect about having to go up to the top level menu. But I could swear I tried hitting the "back" button on the X305S and nothing happened. I'll have to go back up to C'field tomorrow morning. ;-)
yeah i noticed that...also the jvc i have is advertized as having high speed usb....it reads from usb sticks and harddrives and ipods extremely fast. moving through songs and menus are pretty good.
Old 05-21-2010, 04:43 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Push,May 20 2010, 11:59 AM
I just got a JVC and installed it. I noticed i could get an alpine for 10$ more. should i take it back
Your judgment call. No one can tell you if it's worth it to you. I considered the Modifry DCI and PnP harness combo a plus in the Alpine column. YMMV, of course.

Originally Posted by DJT,May 20 2010, 06:20 PM
My Alpine (9886) has percentage search. Hit the preset buttons to skip to certain points in the list. IIRC the iDA's have this as well. I don't use it much as I rely on my playlists.

My iPod lives in the secret compartment so controlling via the iPod isn't a deciding factor for me. Again, YMMV.

[QUOTE=DJT,May 20 2010, 06:20 PM]EDIT: