S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Kicker KX550.3 opinions

Old 04-13-2004, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Kicker KX550.3 opinions

It's time to upgrade my stock audio.

I'm seriously considering using the Kicker KX550.3 amp. For now I plan on keeping the stock head unit, adding the amp, upgrading component speakers, and adding a sub while maintaining maximum trunk space (most likely 1 Wlaurent enclosure w/8" sub, probably 4 Ohm DVC).

I like the fact the the KX550 has the class D amp for the sub and AB for the components, and I only have to install 1 amp (the price is nice too, less than $200-refurb).

My only reservation is that I'm not sure if it will provide enough power for the components. It will put out 75x2 at 2ohms, or 40 RMSx2 at 4 ohms. Since I have never seen any components with a 2 Ohm impedance, it looks like I'll have 40 watts. Anyone have any recommendations for some efficient components that will be happy with this much power, or do I need to look at a different amp? I'm sure I'll have plenty for the sub (400w).

Any feedback on these ideas is welcome!
Old 04-14-2004, 07:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my older Kicker ZR series was severely underrated (i output 151% the power i'm rated for.). the later KX series amps are also underrated, but not as extremely. you will have more than 40 Wrms x 2 channels, but i dare not speculate how much more.

if you're planning on running some relatively sensitive components (sensitivity greater than 90dB/W/m), i would think that this should be fine... especially since it seems you're on a relatively low budget. what components were you thinking about?
my recommendations would be the Focal 165A (Access series), the Infinity 6000CS reference components, the Polk db6500 components, or maybe the Boston RC620 Rallys (though they aren't as sensitive as the others).

just some thoughts.
Old 04-15-2004, 08:16 AM

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes, I am on a budget. I had been looking at the Infinity Reference components.

I did see a set of Kenwood Excelon KFC-XR61P's on clearance at my local Good Guys for under $100 and am now seriously considering them (92dB sensitivity, low power requirements, good frequency response). Anyone have any experience with Kenwood speakers?

I saw in another thread that most of you recommend upgrading the head unit before adding an amp. In my opinion, I think I'll notice the most improvement by getting the amp & sub first rather that feeding some components with a head unit. Head units in themselves can be had pretty cheaply, but if you want to maintain the dash controls, the price goes up in a hurry. I can always go back and upgrade the head unit later, in the meantime, I'll have the huge improvement that comes from having an amp & sub.

Any other opinions on what speakers to use with 40w (+?) RMS?
Old 04-15-2004, 09:33 AM

Another question...

When I install this amp, should I use 4-gauge wire for power and ground, or would 8-gauge be OK?

(edit-nevermind, found the answer)
Old 04-15-2004, 10:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

regarding your speaker choices ---

go and listen to help make your decisions. you'll have to balance the "money spent to quality of sound" equation for yourself.

I saw in another thread that most of you recommend upgrading the head unit before adding an amp. In my opinion, I think I'll notice the most improvement by getting the amp & sub first rather that feeding some components with a head unit. Head units in themselves can be had pretty cheaply, but if you want to maintain the dash controls, the price goes up in a hurry. I can always go back and upgrade the head unit later, in the meantime, I'll have the huge improvement that comes from having an amp & sub.
yeah, i generally do recommend that first... the OEM head unit is a poor sound quality unit w/ a poor sound quality amp. that means it just doesn't sound all that good... when you just tag on an amp, you're taking all that noise and poor quality, and amplifying it... thus making it even greater.
however, i try to always be flexible and help people with their needs... you seem to want more volume and some bass...

if you can afford it, do the aftermarket HU. but i agree, the DCI options are generally an immediate $80+ increase to the cost.
(yes, i know the DCI is $100, but it comes w/ a $20 harness you'd normally buy at CC or BB).

regarding other speakers:
there are loads of speakers out there that you can try -- just remember, since you'll not have tons of power, you'll want to maximize that power by using sensitive speakers. the ones i recommended to you are the ones i know that best reproduce accurate and clean sound at lower power levels... beyond those... *shrug* i've heard a lot of speakers in my time... nowhere near 'all' of them... those are the ones that stand out to me for producing the most musical sound.