S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Looking for speakers upgrade

Old 03-12-2010, 12:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm running my Digital Designs 6.5 component set off the stock deck for the time being and they sound 100 times better then the stock speakers. I seriously have a great amount of bass and the highs are great too.

My next mod is an Alpine CDA-9887 so, the speakers will only sound better. But, When the CDA-9887 goes in I will be amping my speakers at the same time, so I probably wont do a test of the Alpine vs Stock deck sound.
Old 03-12-2010, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an alpine 9856 deck just upgraded to Infiniti 6022i speakers from www.crutchfield.com a local member pointed them out to me. Spent $65 on the speakers they sound fantastic. they are co-axial speakers so no amp required. They sound great with out having to be supported by an amp.

-Jerry
Old 03-12-2010, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by s2kAtTracks,Mar 12 2010, 02:24 PM
I'm running my Digital Designs 6.5 component set off the stock deck for the time being and they sound 100 times better then the stock speakers. I seriously have a great amount of bass and the highs are great too.

My next mod is an Alpine CDA-9887 so, the speakers will only sound better. But, When the CDA-9887 goes in I will be amping my speakers at the same time, so I probably wont do a test of the Alpine vs Stock deck sound.
Its 1000000000x times better I did it. There is no comparison.

-Jerry
Old 03-12-2010, 01:53 PM

yes 100000000x is more like it

I'm serious, I've never heard this much bass out of a mid bass. Its a super clean sound too.

Digital Design, is some good stuff!
Old 03-12-2010, 04:14 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sillyboybmxer,Mar 11 2010, 10:40 PM
juice steez, ...i asked the "knowledgeable" best buy team and they told me that you dont "NEED" an amp with components.,....i know i wont get the most from them but will it "suck" if you run them without an amp???
also, those three you listed are not "shallow" speakers,....will we have issues trying to install them??
You don’t need to run components off an AMP just don’t crank the volume really high. If you choose to buy a nice set of components it makes sense to run them off a properly matched AMP to make them shine . They will sound noticeably better then stock speakers
Old 03-13-2010, 08:23 AM

It it normal round 6,5" speakers? No weird brackets or custom shapes?

About the HU, is it ISO connectors stock or possible to find Honda to ISO harness?

Sorrt about the OT stuff.
Old 03-13-2010, 09:14 AM

Yes, A normal 6.5 speaker. If you have 02+ with stock tweeter locations you'll want a component set(a mid bass and a seperate tweeter)
Old 03-13-2010, 09:35 AM

Cool, thanks!
Old 03-13-2010, 10:12 AM

To the OP, and anyone considering a speaker upgrade, the first suggestion I always make is to go to a local store and compare speakers. yes, speakers on a wall is not an ideal representation of what they'll sound like in your car, but you can get a sense of how different models compare to one another, and more generally, if you prefer a more "detailed/bright" or "warm/smooth" sound. A rule of thumb, but not applicable in all cases, is that metal material tweeters are brighter, silk/textile tweeters are more smooth.

Since you are going to be using the amp built into the head unit, one key "spec" to look at is sensitivity (expressed in decibels). The higher the sensitivity, the more efficient the speaker - meaning it will play louder with less power.

All that said, one reasonably safe recommendation is the Polk db6501 component set. 92db, silk tweeter, shallower mount.

You can find them for $110 here:
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_9109_P...io+db6501+.html

And here's a review I found on crutchfield.com from an S2000 owner:
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_107DB6501/Pol...vf=N&tab=review

Written By steve, san francisco, ca on Wednesday, July 01, 2009

"I bought these for my 2005 S2000 despite crutchfield's claim that it will not fit, I was able to make it fit by simply using the included plastic spacer. Check some of the online forums for installation tips. A trip to the hardware store is necessary for several mounting screws since the OEM speaker mounting screws will not fit. When I was comparing the OEM honda with these speakers, I did not think that it was going to sound that much better because the size and weight of the magnet/speaker was only slightly larger/heavier than oem. When I powered it up though, the sound was 10 times better that stock. I am only using a pioneer DEH-P5000UB head unit and I like the bass it produces even if I turn it up. Unfortunately, I have a convertible so the interior cabin is noisy on the freeway even with the top up so there a bit of distortion if I turn it up really high. An amp would probably do these speakers justice."
Old 03-13-2010, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by GTS Jeff,Mar 5 2010, 02:01 AM
It's common sense that a good amp can compensate for bad speakers whereas good speakers won't help a bad amp. In this case, an aftermarket deck can feed a lot more clean power (even if it isn't much) than the OEM deck.
I was going to disagree with you, as a system is only as good as its weakest link. However, I think it's just your choice of words that caught me - one item "compensating for" another...

If what you're getting at that even the cheapest speaker is still a mechanical device that will respond to/reflect what's being sent to it (so improving the amplifier gets more out of the speaker) vs a poor amplifier is sending a weak signal all the time, so upgrading the mechanical linkage doesn't do much good - then I agree.

Quick Reply: Looking for speakers upgrade