S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Modifry DCI Confusion

Old 11-04-2014, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Modifry DCI Confusion

bought my bone stock AP2, needs an aftermarket radio of course. called crutchfield, they recommended i get a Sony (CDX-GT270MP) head unit, and a PAC SWI-RC adapter for my radio controls. got the radio hooked up fine, but in the process of doing the steering wheel controls, i fried the stupid board for the controls. instructions were "universal".

ordered a new board, called crutchfield and set up my return for the PAC SWI-RC. i know everyone gets the Modifry PnP harness, so i was just going to dish out the cash and do it right this time. so here i am, https://modifry.com/products/dci/buy.htm and im confused as hell. i pick the wired DCI for Sony, move on to step 2.

"If you have an Alpine, Kenwood, or Pioneer head unit consider skipping this step and buying the Plug-n-Play harness in step 3. For all other head units or if you don't mind splicing wires, get the Modifry Adapter Harness by clicking "Add to Cart" below. "

so the option in step 2 is NOT plug n play. and theres no Sony option in step 3.

someone help me. wtf do i need to do from here? i want an aftermarket radio, with an AUX input, and i want my volume +/- and mute button to work. and ideally not have to solder a damn thing so i dont ruin my dash controls AGAIN.

what do i need from modifry to make this work with little to no soldering?

what setup did you use to keep your dash controls working?

should i just send everything back to crutchfield and start over with a butchered wiring harness?

ALTERNATVIELY, has anyone used the PAC SWI-RC with a sony head unit and can tell me which wires to solder together and which to leave alone? the wiring diagram they sent me literally only tells me which of the dozen wires is power and ground.

inb4radiodelete
Old 11-04-2014, 04:02 PM
oth

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

Modifry only offers a plug&play harness for a limited number of brands, apparently not Sony.
Buy his regular adapter harness, and splice it to the Sony headunit harness. Won't be difficult -
just match wire colors, and you can use crimped butt splices if you don't want to solder
(even a cheap crimping tool should work fine for this job). His instructions will also be more
clear/accurate, being s2000-specific rather than "universal."
I'd recommend disconnecting the negative battery terminal while installing the headunit (or
doing any other electrical work) - makes it much less likely you'll fry anything with an
inadvertent touch.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup -- if you want PnP then you need to have a supported brand of head unit. What you should do all depends on whatever is your biggest priority.

I bought Alpine back in 2007 since it was the only option at the time. Very easy install with Modifry's PnP harness.

Originally Posted by Snuggie
i know everyone gets the Modifry PnP harness
Everyone doesn't. I highly recommend it though.
Old 11-05-2014, 06:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by takeshi
Yup -- if you want PnP then you need to have a supported brand of head unit. What you should do all depends on whatever is your biggest priority.

I bought Alpine back in 2007 since it was the only option at the time. Very easy install with Modifry's PnP harness.

Originally Posted by Snuggie' timestamp='1415125404' post='23393439
i know everyone gets the Modifry PnP harness
Everyone doesn't. I highly recommend it though.

Yeah I talked to Bob @ Modifry, he explained it to me a lot better than than I could figure out on my own. I ordered the wired DCI and the instructions on their website are 10 times better than any I could find for the PAC SWI-RC.

So PnP isn't an option at this point, but I'd rather not send my radio back to crutchfueld just to order a similar radio with a different brand name. I'd be radio-less for a while because my factory one went kaput.

I guess I'm just gonna suck it up and resolder everything using Modifry's harness, and just scrap the mess I got from crutchfield.