S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Options for music

Old 04-23-2014, 07:24 AM

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Options for music

I posted this in the electronics subforum but that board is a bit slow, mods you can delete this is its against the rules.

So ive never really cared much about audio and know almost nothing about it, but I do think the stock S2000 speakers suck (I have a 2002) and im planning a LONG road trip this summer so I need a better way to play my own music. What are my options when it comes to better speakers and playing my own music. The ones im thinking of are
Burning a bunch of CDs and using them. This would be almost no work but would be a hassle to change CDs and trying to find songs and actually making the CDs
Getting a head unit that I could plug a AUX cable into. The thing about this is I think most aftermarket head units look ricey and I do not want to lose my hand controls.
Or I can use a FM transmitter. Problem with that is when I used to use one it took up space on the cig lighter that I need for charging my phone and the music played really quiet, I could barely hear it top down. Maybe my FM transmitter just sucked, in which case id be willing to buy a better one.

So is there any way I can plug in a Ipod/aux while retaining my hand controls and have good quality music?

Also if im looking to upgrade speakers which ones should I look at and how much can I expect to pay? Id like them to be able to take some bass, since the stock speakers are fine for like rock music but when I play bass heavy music they just sound shitty.
Old 04-23-2014, 07:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi you can buy an adapter which plugs into the back of your original cd player, you plug it into the spot where your cd changer would plug in and then just hit the CD button twice on the radio to play from your new adapter, heres a link of an example
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009L4...&robot_redir=1
Old 04-23-2014, 08:05 AM

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mydlay
Hi you can buy an adapter which plugs into the back of your original cd player, you plug it into the spot where your cd changer would plug in and then just hit the CD button twice on the radio to play from your new adapter, heres a link of an example
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009L4...&robot_redir=1
wow, had no idea this existed. ty.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:23 AM

There is a way to retain the hand controls on the left of the dash. Modifry.com
Kind of pricey for $99 but it comes with the harness. Install is easy, also comes with other features.

Just get a bluetooth headunit with variable color changing and set it to the orange to match the dash. I find the blue light on lots of aftermarket stereos are what make them look a little too flashy
Old 04-23-2014, 09:37 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by superstuddc27
Kind of pricey for $99 but it comes with the harness. Install is easy, also comes with other features.

Just get a bluetooth headunit with variable color changing and set it to the orange to match the dash. I find the blue light on lots of aftermarket stereos are what make them look a little too flashy
So aftermarket deck + modifry DCI = OEM function for radio controls? Thanks man. starting to get really bored of playing CD's and shit lol
Old 04-23-2014, 10:05 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Get a new head unit for your S2000. For roughly 100 bucks you can get a descent one with USB and AUX. You REALLY should look at the modifry DCI as it enables your existing dash controls and further expands upon the functionality of them by enabling multi button functions for things like next/previous song/folder. I never open my door as I have a micro 16 gig USB jump drive in the front with more music than one should be allowed to have in a car.

Find info HERE.

Installing a DCI and head unit isn't that terribly hard.

Here is a video of a guy removing the AP1 radio cover HERE

You can even get a plug and play wiring harness for certain head units from Modifry. No soldering needed!!

PM me and maybe I can point you in the right direction for a head unit.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by jimboslice
Originally Posted by superstuddc27' timestamp='1398273816' post='23126427

So aftermarket deck + modifry DCI = OEM function for radio controls? Thanks man. starting to get really bored of playing CD's and shit lol
Yep. And the DCI does more than just the standard controls. You can set it to do more functions and if you get the optional speedometer thing, it will increase the volume in the increments of your choosing, as you go faster. And one setting for top down and another for top up.

I personally never use the hand controls anymore so i didnt get one but on my last s2000 I had it. it worked great.

This is the headunit I got after much research. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KDCX...er-reviews-tab
Biggest thing for me was the bluetooth syncing needed to be flawless. I had a pioneer that would require me to turn on/off my bt on my phone everytime I turned the ignition on/off.
This one syncs up automatically no matter what. Sound quality is way better than stock, has variable color changing so I set it to the stock orange color.

Also has front aux and USB. Pandora, soundcloud, etc. all work via bt as well as google maps navigation voice commands.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:34 AM
AZH

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought the USA SPEC product and it worked well for 8 months. Wire was faulty and they replaced it. Now the thing plays two audio sources at the same time and I'm considering getting a new HU and DCI instead. I went the way you wanted (plug and play with OEM HU) and now I'm going to start from scratch with all aftermarket options.
Old 04-23-2014, 11:57 AM

Received 1,572 Likes on 936 Posts

In addition to all the above, you can find a HU that streams bluetooth. You can stream music from your Android or iPhone. Pandora or canned. No wires.
Some HU also have the ability to charge a device hooked to them.
Old 04-23-2014, 01:48 PM

Received 100 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by superstuddc27
This is the headunit I got after much research. http://www.crutchfield.com/p_113KDCX...er-reviews-tab
Biggest thing for me was the bluetooth syncing needed to be flawless. I had a pioneer that would require me to turn on/off my bt on my phone everytime I turned the ignition on/off.
This one syncs up automatically no matter what. Sound quality is way better than stock, has variable color changing so I set it to the stock orange color.

Also has front aux and USB. Pandora, soundcloud, etc. all work via bt as well as google maps navigation voice commands.
This looks good. Does this HU charge a phone with just a normal USB cable? Taking an 850mi road trip soon and if it does this, I'll order one right away.

Quick Reply: Options for music