S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Qube's Blue Dash Project - Stage II (pics, of course!)

Old 10-16-2002, 09:49 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MacGyver
[B]Hmmmm, I would tend to question simply plugging in a 2nd inverter in parallel.
Old 10-16-2002, 04:07 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No, I still disagree with the inverter in parallel deal. The only way that would work is if the two inverters had EXACT same frequency and same phase. First off let's say that yu somehow managed to get those inverters to run at the exact same frequency, but the phase was 180 degrees out of phase....the output of one would completely cancel that of the other. Now, assume we could get the EXACT SAME PHASE< BUT THE FREQUENCIES WERE OFF BY SOME SMALL AMOUNT (say one ran at 1,000 Hz, and the other ran at 1,001 Hz....every other second you would see an alternating dark (inverters cancel in phase) and really bright (inverters match phase) panel. You'd think it was a slow disco. Either way, you're not doing either inverter any good. Whoever is giving this advice needs to rethink basic power electronics theory.
Old 10-16-2002, 11:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For best results of course the inverter circuit would be designed specifically for the EL panel it is driving, and apart from brightness I'm also talking about lifetime and efficiency (though the latter is probably not important in this application).

I'm assuming the panel in this case is something which was cut out of a larger sheet, in which case the inverter designed for the large sheet is not the best solution for a cut one.

I'm not saying it won't work, in fact it will probably give quite good results, but it's certainly not going to be the best it can be.

Is the inverter circuit encapsulated or can you see what IC it uses?

potfish
Old 10-17-2002, 04:16 AM

are you working with this guy whos selling the kit?
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...&threadid=82954
Old 10-17-2002, 06:32 AM

Can someone tell me how exactly this panel works? Thanks.
Old 10-17-2002, 07:37 AM

pot: I've never worked with cut sheets, only full, so can you tell me how iinverters can be specialized to work with cut sheets. I can't think of any logical reason why it would/wouldn't work any better...

s2k: In a VERY loose fashion, EL (electro-luminescent) panels work in the same manner as fluorescent lightbulbs...you excite the electrons and they give off light. The "excitement" is given by the inverter which produces a high frequency AC signal (1-2 kHz).
Old 10-17-2002, 08:30 AM

DJ Qube,

A thought--as you are having the same problem I resolved in my kit: if you can't get enough brightness to resolve the full sunlight w/sunglasses on issue, you might consider going with a two-tone solution I did with the kit.

Since the tach, temp and fuel gauges have such small aperatures, I made those areas a lighter, paler blue. The speedo could then be a deeper, richer blue and still be read w/sunglasses on!

Since you are filtering a white EL sheet (similar to my kit filtering the stock incandescents), the same low-tech solution would be successful--the overall look wouldn't be quite as "perfect" (two-tone instead of one), but it's definately works.

Enjoy,

Randy
Old 10-17-2002, 09:03 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MacGyver
[B]s2k: In a VERY loose fashion, EL (electro-luminescent) panels work in the same manner as fluorescent lightbulbs...you excite the electrons and they give off light.
Old 10-17-2002, 01:15 PM

Originally posted by potfish
As you cut the panel you are obviously reducing its capacitance so the load it puts on the driver circuit is changed, hence the waveform will change. If you want to get back to what you decided was the best waveform for your application you need to tweak the component values in your driver circuit.
Hmmm, excellent point...but this begs the question, are the inverters truly designed for a sheet with a specific capacitance, or are they designed with a large range in mind? I would assume the latter to make it cheaper (most inverters have about 5-6 components, that's all), so if it was designed with a large range in mind, cutting the sheet shouldn't make any real difference. But point taken...
Old 10-21-2002, 01:58 AM

hmm, does this mean i should start trying the AC controls? or should i wait till ur done with this.. or u can just do it urself hahaha since u already did the radio.. *shrug* good stuff though

Quick Reply: Qube's Blue Dash Project - Stage II (pics, of course!)