S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

S2000 Dials flickering and frozen

Old 09-11-2018, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had work done at Honda.

Earth on back of Engine is tight and clean.

Battery was tested twice - once on arrival and a second Time after a 4 hour charge. Both tests came back to say the battery was 50% charged but OK. Clearly that is not a good sign so I replaced the battery.

Tested again today by pulling up both window switches on drivers door at the same time and the issue occurred.

Seems to still be a electrical load issue but because I know what replicates it I will live with it.... Does not happen if I do both windows separately.

If anyone else does have any other ideas of course... Please do chime in.

I noticed by cars alarm siren does not work (H&P alarm). I press the lock button for 5 secs to test and the indicators flash constantly but no siren. Wonder if in some weird way this is related.

Ho hum!
Old 09-11-2018, 12:58 PM
oth

Received 54 Likes on 49 Posts

bad voltage regulator?
Old 09-11-2018, 08:06 PM

Received 1,443 Likes on 967 Posts

Can you pull the fuse on the aftermarket alarm & still have the car work? Try that and see if the issues resolve.

Good luck! :thumbup"
Old 09-11-2018, 11:46 PM

Thanks for the ideas guys!

I did think maybe a bad voltage regulator but when I test with a multimeter the voltage proves to be at charging levels no matter if I have accessories on or off.

It does seem to be under that specific load so I guess it could be the VR if it is beginning to give out.

I shall look for a fuse for the alarm... :-D

Im still unsure what the hell the 2 random wires are in my video above. They end along the drivers (UK) door sill. Very ODD!
Old 09-12-2018, 06:03 AM
oth

Through the sill would be a common wiring route for trunk (boot) mounted amplifier and/or subwoofer.
What's strange is that if one was uninstalling, why would they clip the wires in the middle of the sill
rather than one end or the other?
Old 09-12-2018, 06:15 AM

Yeah it is a odd one. I am not entirely sure.

This may be a crazy idea but could it be an antenna wire for the key fob?
Old 09-16-2018, 06:16 PM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Wow, strange issue. I was thinking maybe your gauge cluster could be going out, but your experience with the radio controls makes me think otherwise.

I wonder if it could be it be electrical interference/noise. If you crank the volume on the radio (preferably using a quiet song or silent track), is there a sound through the speakers which changes pitch with engine speed, or a sound specifically when rolling both windows until the dial issue occurs?

You say you have an aftermarket alarm system, any change if its brain box is unplugged? (car may not start if there's an ignition switch cut relay)

Have you been able to follow those two wires you had taped up? I wonder where they lead? A broken wire like that can pick up electrical noise like an antenna.

I wonder also about that fuse and relay that are taped together at 1:10 in your video.
That looks aftermarket, possibly part of the alarm. Does your keyfob by chance allow you to roll the windows up or down by holding unlock or an aux button?

Last edited by mikeyds; 09-16-2018 at 08:26 PM.
Old 09-19-2018, 03:07 AM

Thanks Mikeyds!

The alarm is actually a standard Hamilton & Palmer alarm that comes standard in a lot of UK S2000's.

I have read this are troublesome.

I may try and unplug the fuses from that relay and fusebox you pointed out in my video to see if that does in fact cause the Alarm/Unlock to not work.
Old 10-23-2018, 04:26 AM

New development!

If you look at the video at around 00:58 - You see a Blue connector (Marker written "44") and above it a Grey connector (Marker written "29"),

These (cant work out exactly which as i cant get my ear close enough as it is tight in the footwell) makes a "Crackling" noise like there is a cable not correctly connected.

When i "wiggle" these connectors, my speedo and dials go nuts. the Fuel tank shows as full, if i pull the window switch and get to the top/bottom and hold the switch I hear a relay clicking in the drivers door.

When i then push the wires in a particular way it sorts itself out.

Need to get in there and look more closely but it seems this is the cause.

Since i put it back i have not had the issue

took a few attempts to put the kick plate back in without issue occurring.
Old 10-23-2018, 06:39 AM
oth

the gray connector "29" appears to be C502 - "connects dashboard wire harness A to driver's door wire harness"
Interestingly, the black wire leads to ground G501, the very ground identified earlier as common to the gauges
and dash controls. Try jiggling just that wire if you can.

Quick Reply: S2000 Dials flickering and frozen