S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Speakers....

Old 05-31-2017, 06:22 AM

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I put the Polk DB6501 component in my '06 and pleasantly surprised by the upgrade with my stock head unit. Installing them required a bit of creativity but did not require modifying the stock basket for the woofer.
Old 05-31-2017, 06:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SkidPad
I bet it sounds killer....where did you install the sub?
Usual Zenclosures tool kit box, it fit well.
The following users liked this post:
SkidPad (06-01-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 07:53 AM
Community Organizer

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

They must have changed the DB6501 again. When I installed mine, the holes for the woofer would not align with the basket holes (I would have had to drill the metal to attach it to the basket). I used the included adapter rings to mount the speaker. Coupled with an external amp, aftermarket HU, and low profile sub, the sound is greatly improved over the OEM setup. The next time I decide to revisit the setup, I'm going to go with a footwell sub box for the improved sound quality of a full-size subwoofer.

Last edited by Fokker; 05-31-2017 at 08:08 AM.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rpg51
Could you explain this a bit more? I have never been inside these doors. Is the area that needs trimming part of the door or part of the speaker? Sorry for the dumb question! Are you trimming out plastic or metal?

I am considering whether to keep my stock speakers or upgrade. I have a new Alpine head unit. I'm considering adding the small alpine amp that fits behind the dash and maybe a speaker upgrade, that's it. No sub no added speakers. Just trying to get a little more depth to the sound I have now which is not too bad as is. Although it is certainly nothing to write home about.

Mostly, I just listen to the engine growl.
In January I installed a new stereo system.

Polk DB6502 speakers--I used the stock baskets without having to remove any material, but the mounting holes in the DB6502s were about 1/2 screw diameter outside the holes in the baskets, so I filled the holes in the baskets with epoxy and drilled new holes in the proper location.

Alpine head unit CDE-163BT. I like the 9-band equalizer and used it to even out the frequency response via a tone generator app on my phone.

Alpine KTP-445U Power Pack, running in bridged configuration for 90W per channel.

This sounds much better than the stock stereo (one speaker of which was a little buzzy at volume). It gets loud enough now with better fidelity. But now I'm thinking I need a sub since there's zero sub-50 Hz.
Old 05-31-2017, 12:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rpg51
Could you explain this a bit more? I have never been inside these doors. Is the area that needs trimming part of the door or part of the speaker? Sorry for the dumb question! Are you trimming out plastic or metal?

I am considering whether to keep my stock speakers or upgrade. I have a new Alpine head unit. I'm considering adding the small alpine amp that fits behind the dash and maybe a speaker upgrade, that's it. No sub no added speakers. Just trying to get a little more depth to the sound I have now which is not too bad as is. Although it is certainly nothing to write home about.

Mostly, I just listen to the engine growl.
Sorry, forgot to explain the trimming part. The stock speaker baskets are plastic, removable from the doors with the speakers installed in them, and too shallow for some speaker magnets. So some people have to trim the plastic.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:17 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

When I did a cheapo upgrade with a 75w x 2 cadence amp, PG RSD 6.5 coaxials and a headunit it made a huge difference in sound quality. They were coaxes so it sounded weird with a passenger, but overall it was a massive improvement. The stock s2k speakers can't put out any kind of midbass. Don't cheap out on speaker brackets. The stock plastic spacers are often not going to work, use CCF between the speaker+bracket and bracket+door so there's a proper seal. First time I made a bracket out of MDF. Second time around I bought modifry brackets which I haven't used yet.
Old 06-01-2017, 08:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MrFunk
I went Focal a few weeks ago.
Great so far. There's only so much two speakers can do though.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I have the same speakers in my car, along with a 6" sub, JL amp, and Kenwood HU. The sound quality from the Focal's is excellent, but they need the amp. I'd also strongly advise you buy Focal's from a local audio shop that is an authorized dealer. TONS of fake Focals out there...
Old 06-05-2017, 09:01 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

I placed a Focal powered SW behind driver's seat. Works well.

Name:  focal%20ibus%202%20subwoofer%203_zpsja4u9cln.jpg
Views: 900
Size:  10.53 MB
Old 06-05-2017, 05:35 PM

Received 256 Likes on 219 Posts

Is this the SW you used?

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_091IBU...c&awug=9002419

How hard is the install?
Old 06-05-2017, 07:52 PM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Easy install. I screwed the unit into body --- with short metal tapping fasteners. Into panel facing the seat. Maybe, one can rig a plywood base and suspend it from hooks or something. To avoid "de-flowering" the body work.

Quick Reply: Speakers....