S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Thinking of buying this - would like feedback

Old 03-13-2004, 04:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking of buying this - would like feedback

Hi all-
I have a 03 that I can't wait to upgrade the system in. Could I get some feedback on what I am thinking of buying right now? I'll be honest that I don't know a whole lot on systems as this is the first car I have ever tried to build a system in.

First of all, I listen to hip-hop, rock, and alternative music but it is also important to me to have a great clean sound as I also enjoy jazz/R&B music.

I would like to spend 800-1000 dollars for the system at this point - I'm not looking to win competitions but I do want something that sounds decent.

I already have a HU that I like - Alpine CDA 7893.

As of now, I was thinking of MB Quarts PCE 216 components in the front with either a JL audio or Phoenix Gold amp running these. Not sure what size amp I would need.

As for the sub - I have heard such good things about the elemental designs subs that I think I want this (E10A.22). However, these are pretty expensive and I wondered if I could get something cheaper for close to the same sound quality. I also don't know what amp to get to run the sub yet - could you help me out with that?

Thanks everyone.
Old 03-13-2004, 05:31 PM

My mom used to say to me,
"Billy you've got champagne tastes on a beer budget."

I think you're a bit like me.

Your gonna have trouble getting that all for under $1000. I'd start with a great pair of components up front with a nice juicy 4 channel amp.

The quarts are ok, listen to them first, and PG makes good amps. Get a four channel.

Four channel, why? So you can add a good sub and box later.

IMO it is better to build slowly and methodically than all at once.

check out the s2000 FAQs, it answers many questions that you will have.
Old 03-13-2004, 06:30 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bill, your mom was definetely right, but in the car audio world, I will give you Cristal for bud light prices......

Here is a system that you will LOVE, and be WELL under your budget.......
AMPLIFIER

Choice #1...aka....amp for life....

This is a Soundstream D'Artagnan....one of the best multi channel amps ever made. It has 6 channels of pure muscular bliss. Granted, you only need a few of these channels, but this is an amp you can use in all your cars for years to come. This amp is approximatelly $1190.00 new, and is very hard to get. Also great if you are looking to upgrade to rear speakers later down the road.

You can mount it on PAS2kNUT's (jim) spare tire board and it will be completely hidden.

THe specs of this amp (which will actually allow you to bi-amp your components) are......

Specifications

# NUMBER OF CHANNELS 6 OUTPUT POWER (WATTS) :
# RMS @ 4 Ohms 65 x 5, 200 x 1
# RMS @ 2 Ohms 100 x 5, 400 x 1
# RMS @ 1 Ohms 500 x 1 (subwoofer channel only)

This amplifier is available from www.millionbuy.com right now for a escaped mental institution price of $349.00!!!!!!! They do however, sell very fast, so think quickly......

Choice B.....amp for now......

Another great amp......

Soundstream Van Gogh 500.4

This amplifier delivers 125wrms x4 @ 4ohms, enough to drive your sub, and front speakers....This amp is going on ebay at a buy it now price of $379.99

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...0&category=4950

SPEAKERS........listen to them yourself......

I suggest Infinity Kappa Perfects 6.1
(www.hookedontronics.com $218.00)

Or the mid line focal.....136K perhaps
(www.onlinecarstereo.com $299)

I have Infinity myself, and have nothing but praise for them. Focal might be a llittle more your taste however.

Finally, wiring.....

From www.knukonceptz.com
get the 4AWG 4 channel installation kit, $36.00
Subwoofer wire is under speaker wire, Karma 8AWG Speaker Kable

Thats it. You sir are done. Later down the road, you can add a subwoofer, rear speakers, whatever you desire.....

Total price......

My personal selection.....

Kappa Parfects 6.1s $218
D'Artagnan $349
Wiring $ 36
_____
Total $603
Total with Focals $684
That leaves plenty of money for a sub/WLAURENT enclosure, and rear speakers if you wish.

Total with ...
Elemental Designs e8A.44 $145
WLAURENT enclosure $190
Subwoofer Wiring $1.50 per foot, x 13.5 feet or so.......$20.00

Total Subwoofer price....$355

Total system price......
With Infinity $958.
With Focal $1039
Driving 100mph, music clear as day, top down, with a girl, PRICELESS.
There are some things money cant buy, for everything else, there's Dave.

DAMN IM GOOD!

Good luck, let me know if you need any more help or advice........
_-Dave
Old 03-13-2004, 07:49 PM

I like the idea of the bigger amp that will drive everything - especially since it seems like they aren't too expensive. NFRs2000NYC - how can an amp be marked down from $1190.00 to $349? That is one hell of a discount. I've listened to the MB Quarts at the local store and they sounded alright, I have to go searching to listen to the focals and kappa perfects.
I may be jumping into the recent post on improving the FAQ section but, I think there should be a section on speaker reviews to help us new guys. NFRs2000NYC - you say Focals may be more my style over Kappas. A post in FAQ explaining each speakers qualities might be helpful to understand which speakers will be best for my style. Just a thought...

thanks for your help willie gee and dave

-jeff
Old 03-13-2004, 08:02 PM
Former Moderator

The reason why certain soundstream gear is being discounted, is that soundstream discontinued certain top of the line models......I.E. Davinci, D'Art, certain tarantulas. So since the stores need their 2004 gear, they are closing out. These amps still have warrantees.

Focals are better suited for real music (from real musical instruments) while Infinitys are better with electronic music (dance, hip hop, 80s pop....etc...) I also think that Kappas are a little better with female vocals, but this is subject for debate. However, take my word for it, the mid line MBQUARTS are not nearly as good as the Kappas. Remember, listening in stores is tricky, as there is a lot of ambient noise, and you dont know what amp they are using (if one) to power them. ALso, bring your OWN mix CD with every type of music you listen to. Just post what you decide to get to see if we can prevent a disaster... Also, there is a heap of very smart guys on this board, so dont listen to what a shop tells you......remember one magic word in the sales world, COMMISSION! (JL is #1 )
Old 03-13-2004, 08:41 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just switched from a JL to Soundstream and must say that the soundstream stuff blows away the JL and you can even save a few bucks. The sound quality of the Soundstream Van Gogh 500.4 is second to none. I had a friend over today to let him listen to the upgraded system. We could not even sit in the car because the power and clarity of this amp combined with the quality of Focals front and back was just deafening.

I also bought a Soundstream Rubicon II 500.1 amp for my Elemental Designs e8A.44 sub. Unfortunately these are on back order right now. So, I can't provide feedback on the amp yet. It's sitting in my trunk waiting for the sub to arrive. I have WLAURENT 8" sub enclosure and also highly recommend it.

When it comes to speakers I highly recommend that you try and listen to the different brand you would like to buy and decide which one sounds best to your ears. I like Focals for their clarity and sound reproduction. I like loud clear sound that I can hear every instrument with a warm feel.

So, basically I with NFRs2000NYC. I can't believe I just said that.
Old 03-13-2004, 08:51 PM
Former Moderator

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PAS2KNut

So, basically I with NFRs2000NYC.
Old 03-13-2004, 09:03 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by NFRs2000NYC
Old 03-13-2004, 09:20 PM
Former Moderator

Check it.........these bad boys put out 1.5wrms @4ohms STABLE!

Gonna need quite a few of these.........
Old 03-14-2004, 09:36 AM

i don't think i can add too much to this outside of the fact that the 6.5" Focals are the 165K's not the 130K's (5.25")
http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/Pr...ufacturerID=638

the 165K's are $20 more... http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/Pr...ProductID=11708

Quick Reply: Thinking of buying this - would like feedback