S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Upgrading stock speakers

Old 01-28-2016, 01:07 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by webbysdad
Originally Posted by MikeekiM' timestamp='1450831810' post='23834791
[quote name='webbysdad' timestamp='1450828781' post='23834763']
[quote name='MikeekiM' timestamp='1450822862' post='23834699']
[quote name='webbysdad' timestamp='1450810246' post='23834501']
[quote name='MikeekiM' timestamp='1450757549' post='23833957']
I went with the Kenwood KDC-X998 headunit...has all the basic things you would want from a modern headunit... And I replaced my stock speakers with the Polk DB-6501 component speakers...

For a simple swap, I couldn't be happier... At some point, I may upgrade to an amped set up, add a subwoofer and replace the Polks for Focal speakers...but for now, I am happy with the swap upgrade...
How much hacking did you have to do to get the Polk component speakers in? Crutchfield says 'does not fit' my car...
It's been about a year, and my memory is not what it used to be...

IIRC, there was minimal modifications necessary... They are just a little larger (thicker) than stock, which makes it a little tight when you re-install the door panel... In fact, I think the speaker may have a bit of contact with the door panel, where there is no contact with the stock speakers... It's definitely a tight fit... The screw pattern is different, and I think I may have had to cut out the backing of the stock speaker enclosure to make room for the bigger magnet/driver... I think I used the included Polk speaker ring adapters that go between the speaker and the stock enclosure...

I wish I took more photos...here is what I was able to find in my photo archives...

[/quote]

Wow, thanks for the pics - very helpful. No issues mounting the tweeters or crossovers, I assume? As long as I don't have to cut the door panels themselves, I don't have any issues with making minor mods to the enclosures & backing.
[/quote]

You are very welcome!

Honestly, I can't recall if I actually had to cut the backing of the stock speaker enclosure...there's a good chance that you don't even need to do that to be honest...

The tweeter was no big deal... Unscrew two screws to remove it from the door panel... The stock tweeter is held to the bracket by a single screw in the center back... The new tweeter does not have a screw hole in the back of it, so it won't mount the same way... You'll simply need to bend a small metal tab out of the way and use some silicone glue to secure it to the bracket, and then mount the bracket to the door panel... Easy peezy...

The crossover gets installed in a little cubbyhole in the door panel... Use a nice double stick 3M tape to secure it to the door panel...

Here's a photo of the door panel... The cubbyhole is in the bottom righthand side of the photo...you can see the tweeter mounted into the door panel...

[/quote]

Mike - Thanks again for all the info & pics. I finally got my Polks installed & they certainly sound better that the ones I replaced. Install was pretty easy; Low-Mids fit perfectly and the tweeters only needed a little creativity to get mounted. Funny thing, the ones I took out weren't stockers. They turned out to be Boston Acoustic just like the sub. Sounded like complete crap though. Still can't figure out how to get at the amp & connections on the sub in the trunk - installer really installed the hell out of it! - but that's a project for another rainy day.

Anyway, thanks again for all the help. It made a big difference.
[/quote]

Sweet! Glad I could offer some helpful information... And certainly happy to hear that the swap resulted in an improvement to your previous set-up!

Congrats!