S2000 Electronics Information and discussion related to S2000 electronics such as ICE, GPS, and alarms.

Wow. Never realized the stock spkrs were so crap.

Old 09-26-2008, 10:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wow. Never realized the stock spkrs were so crap.

Year or so ago, I bought some lucid rear panels on here from a gentleman in the OR S2000 group. He was generous enough to give me the speakers for those and a pair of 6.5 Kenwoods at the same time. Since then they've sat on a shelf, waiting for me to do something with them. I've also had a set of Diamond 6.5s sitting on the same shelf for even longer.

Today i got a weird urge to run speakers in the S. I was talking to one of the guys I work with and he was like "sure, we can make adapters for 6.5s!" I went over to his place, realized I didn't need no steenkin' adapters, and went back to my place, ready to attack my doors after stealing his jigsaw.

So I got home, and tried to fit the Diamonds in the stock buckets. No dice. Too big of a basket. I tried to fit them in the door. Damn. Too deep w/o the spacer of the bucket.

Determined to not put the door back with the pathetic paper-cone speakers, I dug out those Kenwoods. They fit perfectly in the OEM buckets. They fit beautifully in the door,and while they don't sound mindblowingly awesome, they sound SO MUCH better than stock it's astounding to me. They sound like i'd have expected the OEM pieces to sound in the first place.

Funniest thing is, I was doing this out of boredom. I genuinely never had a problem with the OEM paper-cone speakers once I added 2k2 doorpanels last year! Now, I realize there was a major problem and I didn't know it. Heh.

Next up: Installing those Lucid rear panels and the 5.25s I have to fit them, the SoundGate Zune adapter, firing the changer, installing the 2k6 OEM headunit I have, and then running an amp on linelevel converters. This should hold me in for a while though. (and yes, I have a reason for keeping the OEM headunit instead of buying an Alpine, etc.)

Anyhow, wanted to post and say "if you haven't done it yet... do it! You don't know what you're missing!"
Old 09-27-2008, 05:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the stock speakers sound pretty damn good. The door panel speakers are 6x9's, correct?
Old 09-27-2008, 06:18 AM

^ HAHAHAHA!! sorry that just made me laugh... don't take it personally.

Your not serious though... are you...?

You have a 2007, so you have 6.5 components in the doors and you may or my not have rear speakers.

Seriously though you need to go listen to an S with upgraded speakers and headunit. The sound is amazing compared to stock.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:09 AM

Eric, Your 2007 speakers are better than mine. You get poly cone speakers that do actually sound decent. I had rental-car spec paper cones that were showing their age and exposure to humidity.

I'll never go to your extent, Darkknight... the listening environ in a convertible isn't good enough... but if i had the 2007 setup with the headrest tweets, door tweets and poly 6.5s, I wouldn't be doing any of this work i'm gonna end up doing.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:29 AM

everyone says that... but that's how it starts my friend. Then you hear better sound and then you get back in your car.... and then it happens... you think to yourself damn that sounded pretty good... my radio sucks... ummm.... what can I do to change that.

Then your back on here asking what you need to do... then you get directed to the FAQ, then you come back and say you couldn't find what you were looking for. So one of us tells you what you need. Then your hooked

Its ok its happens to all of us... you'll fit right in hehe
Old 09-27-2008, 12:59 PM

Haha.

Nah, i've fallen down that trap before. I have one car that gets a decent stereo. It's got a kenwood head unit, Kappa amp for the mains, and a 1000w Kenwood for the sub, with Focal 6.5s and Focal 6x9s. Used to have a Thunderform in the trunk but i sold it. Gonna probably talk to Audio Integrations up here about hookin me up with a new fitted box at some point. It's also got a roof.

Hell, i used to have a Kenwood in the S and I pulled it back out and put the OEM back in.

My Miata has a stock STI headunit and some JBLs in the doors. The STI unit got me 6-disc MP3 changer, and sattelite radio built in, variety and loud enough to hear over the ITBs. Good enough.

The S will get a 2006 OEM unit, my Sirius reciever, a Zune OE stereo controller, my Zune, an amp on linelevel converters, rear speakers and that's about it. Give me variety and volume, that's about all I ask for when the top's down.
Old 10-02-2008, 09:10 PM

Stupid traps! Fell right in!

So yeah, i went from zero to headunit in what... 4 days? I haven't even been able to drive to car for three of them (blew the diff).

Friend was trading in his S2k tonight, told me I could have whatever I wanted as long as the stereo worked when he turned it in.

I got an Alpine CDA-9857 and modifry plug-in unit, plus iPod cable and Zune adapter power line for a price to be determined later. All that stereo work i did on his car a week ago is now sitting on my shelf in the garage.

I'm a sucker. Heh.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:20 PM

.............& u called urself a 'noizemaker'

~tina~
Old 10-03-2008, 02:16 AM

@ your sig!!
Old 10-03-2008, 04:44 AM

mine were blue plastic honda speakers... not paper at all?!?!

I put new speakers in anyway

Quick Reply: Wow. Never realized the stock spkrs were so crap.