S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

AEM config for ITB's

Old 03-15-2010, 10:06 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default AEM config for ITB's

I'm hoping someone can advise on how to configure a AEM 1052 for this following setup. ( I know Motec backwards/forwards but cannot find all the settings in the AEMpro software)

Fuel and ignition tables are throttle position vs rpm

MAP sensor is vented to atmosphere to be used for barometric compensation.

ie, MAP fuel compensation table so 0kpa=0%, 100kpa=100%, 200kpa=200%.

I found a tick box for speed density in the MAP sensor calibration(unsure what this changes).

I also found a "TPS used for fuel" in the options which seens to get the fuel vs TPS OK.

I cannot find a "TPS used for ign", though I have found a TPS vs load table, perhaps this allows ignition to have an axis of load, but load is a function of TPS as defined by this table.
Old 03-17-2010, 03:23 PM

Got the answer from a friendly AEM guru .

" Go to setup--> sensors--> map sensor --> options.
Uncheck speed density
load offset= 0
Map filter= 0
load scalar= 1

Now go to configure --> units change load units to Percent."

Follow that and leave TPS base fuel map OFF. It will work based on throttle.

The axis or "breakpoints" as we call it is adjustable by clicking on the break point values in the fuel/igni map table views. Just change the value and hit "enter". You will need to adjust it so that the top row on the table is 100%

Also, for the barometric fuel compensation.

The EMS has an internal baro sensor; setup--> sensors--> baro sensor.
Make sure BAR/INP is checked for the baro to be functional. You will also find the Baro correction table under that menu.

Baro compensation is a subject long argued and talked about. I would say adjust it to your needs. Typically if you go up elevation you would need to decrease fuel. A good starting point is 10% less fuel for every drop in 10kpa. Example 80kpa = -20%fuel 110kpa = +10% fuel.

The "TPS based fuel map" option, is if you want to use MAP for Alpha-N hybrid where fuel is based on TPS with MAP compensation, and ignition is based on MAP as usual.
Old 03-24-2010, 08:48 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

you dont want ONLY tps for load.. it will work but its not the best

for ITB's the absolute best way to do it is a combination of boost comp and tps based fuel map. You still want the ignition map to be based on load.

the ems has a built in barometric pressure sensor, but honestly the amount of correction that you would use there is very small.
Old 03-25-2010, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have aem ems 1012 on its was along with TWM itbs. after i install both of these. can i drive the car normally to get it tuned. how hard is this whole setup?

does anyone know what injectors fit in 52mm TWM
Old 03-27-2010, 07:47 PM

You will need to get a base map from a car with a similar build in order for it to be driveable. If you cant get one then plan on getting the car flat bedded to your tuner. The fuel maps are significantly different to a car with a single TB and it will be unlikely to run or idle.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by wadzii,Mar 25 2010, 02:48 AM
you dont want ONLY tps for load.. it will work but its not the best

for ITB's the absolute best way to do it is a combination of boost comp and tps based fuel map. You still want the ignition map to be based on load.

the ems has a built in barometric pressure sensor, but honestly the amount of correction that you would use there is very small.
Thanks for your advice.

Only reason I wanted barometric compensation is one of our race tracks is at enough of an altitude to require 2-3% trim if there is a low pressure over the area as well.

Understand that the boost comp method will also provide these trims.
Old 03-29-2010, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how would i go about getting a similar base map. could i send the ems somehwere and have it set up then sent back to me? does the car have to be on a dyno to have the ems tuned? sorry these are probally stupid questions but you seem to know what your talking about.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by amusepanda,Mar 30 2010, 12:18 PM
how would i go about getting a similar base map. could i send the ems somehwere and have it set up then sent back to me? does the car have to be on a dyno to have the ems tuned? sorry these are probally stupid questions but you seem to know what your talking about.
You should open a thread and list your modifications/engine build. If you are lucky someone with a similar build may be able to provide you a startup map.