S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

AEM EMS dilema

Old 09-30-2015, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AEM EMS dilema

Hi everyone,

Im kinda new to the forum, but not new to the s2k world. Basically i have found myself in a bit of a situation. I recently purchased an AEM EMS series 2 unit from someone off of craigslist, but didn't check the part number until a few days later... i guess i just got a bit too excited and antsy when i bought it. After running the numbers (30-6030), i found it was made for k-series engines. i sent the original owner a message and he swears that he used this ecu in his S and told me who installed it and he also told me that the same place removed the ecu when he went to sell the car and converted back to stock.

So, i made a ton of calls to different tuners around as well as AEM directly. i am somewhat under the impression that these ecus can be reconfigured to run just about anything with them. But no one really gives any information or proof that they can do it.

I guess what I'm really asking here is if anyone has had any first hand experience with reconfiguring these or if anyone knows for sure that it can be done and worth my time? I would like to use this ecu for my swap if i can because i already have it but if it is going to be too difficult then i will get rid of it and look for the right one.

Oh, and just for a little more info, this unit will be used for my f20c swap into another chassis and i will not be using any type of emissions system or even the gauge cluster. i just need a way to tune the engine as i am going boost.

Thanks for any help!!
Old 10-01-2015, 12:39 AM

I guest it can be done. You need to find a competent tuner.

As far as i know the install will require a rewire or custom jumper harness and some inside box work, probably just a trigger (both crank and cam) jumper stting changes as F20C uses magnetic pickups and K20 uses hall effect sensors. Usually JPT1 and JPT2 deals with the trigger signals but i ignore if thats right for that board.

Good luck.
Old 10-01-2015, 03:53 AM

2 of my local tuners say they can "probably" do it. I'm not really wanting them to use me as a test dummy, especially if they might have to open up the case. I was also wondering if I do the kpro style conversion, would that make it easier? I don't really know why it wouldn't work, but I'm also not a tuner.

As for the wiring, I have no problem building a jumper/adapter. I plan to redo most of my harness already for my swap.
Old 10-01-2015, 04:14 AM

Then, why don't you just sell that one and buy the S2000 AEM EMS?
Old 10-01-2015, 05:17 AM

Honestly, that's what I'm leaning towards doing. That would be doing it the right way. But the reason I am lookin into it is just because I want to know if it could work and why or why not. A lot of people out there are so quick to say no, or they just hold back information. I guess I'm just trying to push the envelope in a way and trying to learn more.