S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.
View Poll Results: What tuning system do you run and prefer?
AEM EMS
49.16%
Hondata
45.25%
Other
5.59%
Voters: 537. You may not vote on this poll

AEM ems vs Hondata

Old 09-30-2015, 06:03 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by wadzii
<snip helpful clarification from wadzii on the fact that in the end Hondata is just programming a stock time-based Honda ECU>

If you want to spend a boat load of money on an ecu with fewer features and crappy support kpro is the ecu for you. For the same money and a ton less work you can have an infinity setup with lambda sensor, fuel pressure sensor, oil pressure sensor, flex fuel sensor and do way more stuff with it.
Thanks for clarifying. Very much appreciated.

So I originally had my sights set on the AEM Infinity. But when I called and spoke with the tuner I'll be using (Alex at dynonh.com, one of the best around me afaik) he said that (while he thinks the Infinity is great and that he is trained on it) for my _street_ needs the Hondata will:
1) be less problematic relative to emissions
2) improve resale/relocation potential due to complying with emissions variations across the states
3) accommodate all the features I need (AP1 isn't DBW, taking into account my upgrade path detailed below)
4) in the end a Honda ECU on a Honda engine is inherently more stable.
More context on 4: Alex said the Infinity is a clean slate, tuning a bare standalone ECU. While it can be made stable it can take more time to dial it in.

My planned AP1 upgrade path is:
1) smooth out the torque and HP across the RPM range (lower VTEC to ~5500).
2) add the Urge Designs scavanging Gernpipe and T1R dual exhaust
3) add the SOS stage2 supercharger (and still pass emissions in say NC).

Once I add the S/C I'd imagine all bets are off on passing inspection (without throwing a DTC) by swapping the OEM ECU back in (to attempt to pass emissions in say NC).

So all this being said, what do you recommend for my particular case? (feel free to PM me if that helps)
Old 09-30-2015, 06:16 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

From my experience I cant say hondata is more reliable than Infinity. There were some early hardware issues with the infinity, but if you make sure to buy from a direct distributor (like me.. shameless plug) then you'll be sure that you arent getting an ecu that's been sitting on the shelf for a year and has not been updated, etc.

Resale is a moot point IMHO, to some aem is worth more, to some emissions is worth more

for a basic supercharged setup you are correct, but hondata does not have any real protections built in .. fuel pressure, oil pressure, coolant temp, oil temp... what happens when like most people you get bored of the supercharger and want more boost, maybe you go turbo or add flex fuel down the road.

The honda ecu part of it is reliable, but I see problems with the hardware hondata adds all the time.

At least down here emissions is a pretty easy thing to get around. a non communications waiver is usually the easiest so long as all the emissions stuff is visibly "there"

Most importantly though is to use what your tuner is best at. Sounds like he already doesnt like Infinity or want to tune it. In your case put kpro on it.. the best ecu in the world wont do you any good if the guy tuning it doesnt want to/know/like it/etc.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:24 AM

Received 80 Likes on 60 Posts

What about the Haltech Platinum Pro? Its VE Tuning.

/ducks
Old 09-30-2015, 06:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by s2000ellier
What about the Haltech Platinum Pro? Its VE Tuning.

/ducks

I'm not fan but I havent used more than one or 2.
Old 09-30-2015, 06:53 AM

wadzii,

Alex works on AEM Infinity and likes it but he isn't evangelical about it. He seemed more concerned about my experience with the car more so than his tuning work being simpler/elegant/polished.

But I do hear what you're saying though: the Infinity is more capable at the higher end of the upgrade spectrum.

To that end, I _could_ cross that bridge (when I get to it) by adding AEM Infinity at that point. IIUC the AEM Infinity will "just work" with the various sensors and other changes that Hondata requires? Chitoki's setup seems to confirm this...
Old 09-30-2015, 07:18 AM
Banned

Yes the aem will work w the 06+ sensors. You'll have to do a bit of wiring but its not a big deal.

Honestly with what your car has at the current time and your plans you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the 2. Usually aem cars will carry power a tad better and be a little smoother but probably not enough for you to notice
Old 09-30-2015, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by wadzii
Yes the aem will work w the 06+ sensors. You'll have to do a bit of wiring but its not a big deal.

Honestly with what your car has at the current time and your plans you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the 2. Usually aem cars will carry power a tad better and be a little smoother but probably not enough for you to notice
OK. I'd really prefer to just change the ECU and not all the other sensors Hondata Kpro4 requires.
Old 03-09-2018, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok here is my 2 cents on the matter,
For all you guys saying KPRO because it passes emissions, WHAT THE ACTUAL ****!!!!! we have all been in the car scene long enough to where we know someone who knows someone who knows someone. easy 150 to 300 work around depending on your state and hook up. Not knocking KPRO just saying your reasoning is ****ing absurd. KPRO is nice for most beginner aspects and I have used it before, great product for a mild DD build. If you want to get the most out of your setup definitely go with the AEM. That being said I run my turbo S2K on 18lbs street driven on 91 pump gas tuned on AEM V2. I drive my car 2 to 5 days a week depending on my schedule. I have nothing special done only mods are precision 67mm turbo(currently on a log manifold, switch up to a sidewinder soon) upgraded fuel pump 1000cc ID injectors fuel rail 3in full exhaust. Air pump delete, please note if you decide to remove your air pump Ballade sports in Garden Grove California makes a n air pump bypass for $15 with instructions and pictures wooooooo lol. without this you will have a huge headache and issues trying to get power to your ecu. (again this is solely for removing the air pump. I have had no start up issues, runs and responds well. I have nothing bad to say about my AEM other than don't use RC injectors or you will have to buy the injector driver kit. I fried mine using RC. AEM was good about looking it over fixing my issue small fee less than 100 and sending it back in a quick manner. I also kept my ac and power steering. As well please people, do your research on your tuner. There are a lot of bad "tuners" out there that think they know how to tune. Reputation is everything so yes I would rather spend upwards of 1000 to 2k on my tune rather than save a few bucks.