S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

F20C in kit car - Wiring help

Old 01-23-2018, 02:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F20C in kit car - Wiring help

Hi Everyone,
Im building a car commonly referred to as a Locost, which is basically a tricked out lotus super 7 build.
I have decided to use an F20C

I'm really struggling with the wiring. I (probably mistakenly) thought if i plugged in all the wiring looms I could just turn the key and it would start up for me. I'm beginning to realise that's not the case. I started with the engine wiring harness, thought I could just jump the starter and have it run... no go
I got the steering column and keys when I bought the engine, but the guy was junking about 4 cars so I'm not 100% certain that the ECM and key is matched.

Now i have the following

Engine harness
Right engine bay harness with all the fuse boxes etc.
Dash harness A
Gauge cluster

From what I can tell I need at least The Dash harness B, and Left engine compartment harness as well, which are going to add up - I'd rather save the money for an aftermarket ECU if it will work.

I am thinking that with all the fuss an aftermarket ECU would be the best option, but I have never gone this route before. I see that the ECM unit just plugs straight in to the original wiring, and comes with a base map

If I buy an aftermarket ECU can I just 'Plug'" it into the engine loom (with minor modification) or do i need the rest of the dash/engine bay wiring.
which wiring looms do I need to get the engine up and running?

Thanks in advance for all your help
Old 01-25-2018, 03:42 AM

Received 102 Likes on 71 Posts

You are dealing with the immobilizer, and possibly some other wires.

Easiest thing to do is go with an aftermarket ecu. Hondata Kpro, Aem, or similiar will do the trick but will require a tune after you get it running.
Old 01-26-2018, 07:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RAIN H8R
You are dealing with the immobilizer, and possibly some other wires.

Easiest thing to do is go with an aftermarket ecu. Hondata Kpro, Aem, or similiar will do the trick but will require a tune after you get it running.
I know of several people who have got an F20C up and running on the original wiring harness, I'm sure theres something I'm missing

However, I have found a company that makes a more or less stanalone ECM/Wiring harness system for S2000 engined kit cars. Bit on the pricey side but should be a suitable option. Out of curiosity what would you usually expect to pay for an aftermarket system tune?