S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

Flashpro Map Question? Car Stall Coming to a Stop! Random

Old 09-10-2012, 11:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Flashpro Map Question? Car Stall Coming to a Stop! Random

Hello guys. I'm trying to figure out an issue that I am having with flashpro and possibly a map related issue.

A brief history. I got my car tuned and running great for the last 8-9 months without no issue. The last 2 months, I have been having some issue.
The car suddenly would stall coasting to a stop. Example, I'm exiting the freeway, put the car in neutral. RPM would go down and would typically stay at 1k however randomly it would go below 1k and sometime it would recover to 1k but there has been times when it shut off and not recover. I am able to restart the car with no issue. It seem the car ran rich before it happen.

Note: Nothing has been changed to the car as far as mods go

Tuner suggest I fix a few things which included the following:

1. Start with the obvious. Replaced the Primary O2 sensor. It could be worn out. I replaced it and still the same symptom.

2. Exhaust leak. checked and there wasn't any.

3. PCV valve needed to be replaced. Did that.

4. Checked spark plugs. Nothing wrong with them but replaced them anyways to stock spec ngk plugs. I had the ngk bkr8eix in them before.

5. Check for any vacuum leak, can't find any.

6. The gauge cluster was flickering. It was a faulty alternator rectifier which was replaced and still the same symptom. Thought it could be related somehow.

Anyways, as describe above when coasting to a stop and then the other day I noticed that if I'm on the freeway and I push in the clutch, it would also shut off on me!! I can't seem to find a pattern to why it would do that.

So that is the history of the car. When I load the tuned map, all of the above would happen. However if I go with the Toda Stock cal map, it doesn't do it. So does that mean the map is the issue?

I recently updated the flashpro to 1.3.3 but before that I had 1.2.XX not sure if that would cause any of this.

Any thoughts and suggestion is greatly appreciated. GERNBY would love to have your input on this!!
Old 09-10-2012, 01:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it could be a tuning related issue. if you'd like, e-mail me the calibration and i can give you feedback.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:51 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by silvermonster
6. The gauge cluster was flickering. It was a faulty alternator rectifier which was replaced and still the same symptom. Thought it could be related somehow.
I had this problem before. I noticed that some of the basemaps have the engine idle speed too low. Raise the idle speed in small increments until flicker goes away. Setting it to around 950 rpm solved my problem.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:15 AM

Yes the flicker would go away when revs goes up. If your is flickering, it will get bad over time. I did a lot of research on the flickering and it comes down to replacing the rectifier in the alternator. The honda alternator is expensive!! the part was only 200 bucks. The hardest part was taking the alternator out for the first time as its stuck in the groove and you have to pry it out carefully.

anyways, anyone else have any suggestion. Brian is taking a look at my map. Wish I was on the east coast! You guys have billman, brian, etc...
Old 09-12-2012, 03:11 PM

well i spoke too soon. Been running the stock toda map from flashpro since it doesn't stall but today it stalled on me. One was approaching a stop like before and the other one just testing it on the freeway. I'm driving at 70 mph, push in clutch, RPM goes down and usually would stop at 1k RPM but this instance it went all the way down and stalled. Restarted thank god. Was datalogging so I capture some data.

Can a faulty map sensor cause this?

or maybe a dirty IAC.

It wouldn't do it everytime which is why its hard to pinpoint.