S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

gern-tune review

Old 07-08-2019, 07:19 PM

Received 1,133 Likes on 996 Posts

There was only one FlashPro when I bought mine which included Bluetooth. No CARB version available then. I can find the box if you're still curious.

It's "For Off Road Use Only" according to notes on the box and probably the unit itself.

Original Gernby tune was put in the car 4 years ago and never touched.

-- Chuck
Old 07-08-2019, 07:31 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by lookstoomuch
Was inquiring to both software / hardware as believe there are a few different FlashPro hardware version (Race, CARB, etc..). I'm only guessing that the software could detect what version of hardware was being used and force some parameters to cover the company legally if they ever got sued, i.e. Race version would never set readiness monitor where CARB would but then not let the tuner override other parameters. Moot point as you're likely running the same hardware I am.

Either way all my googling concluded that the ability to set the readiness codes was disabled in the past couiple of years. Your points of reference kind of support that theory as you had passed emissions in the past while now the car would not pass the same test.
I have the "Race" FlashPro. The only difference is that you have the ability to turn off the checks that are used for the readiness codes (eg: rear o2), where the "CARB" version doesn't even give you the option. The readiness codes will still function as normal if they are all turned on, but the FlashPro cannot be forced to report OK anymore (not sure if this was ever true actually, maybe many years ago). Basically you can't use the FlashPro to cheat the reediness codes. I have passed a smog check with the OEM equivalent tune, so I know the readiness monitors are functioning as designed. I don't think anyone should ever consider the "CARB" version, as it limits the options and there are really no symptoms that the car has an aftermarket tune on it (unless your tune sucks). CARB certification is just stating that the product as been checked and meets CA standards.

Google "spark defouler". Just be sure to remove right before you go in for the smog check (unless you have one of those kiosks...) The rear o2 usually takes a few drive cycles to report a problem.
Old 07-09-2019, 03:57 AM

Got a recommended defouler? I'm curious if the readiness codes will reset on my car with one even though I don't need an e-check in this county.

-- Chuck
Old 07-09-2019, 06:56 AM

Any defouler will work, so get the one that is cheap. You have to modify it anyway (basically enlarge the hole so it's large enough for the o2 sensor to fit).
Old 07-10-2019, 01:33 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Have you tried to pass smog with the Gernby FlashPro tune in California? Just curious. I passed smog 3 times in Ohio with mine but it's a OBD2 port test. Berk high flow cat. No CEL.

-- Chuck
I didn't dare try. I just flashed back to the factory tune. The smog testing system did recognize that the ecu had been disconnected/flashed. I had to return to get it to pass. I put ~50 miles on the car before the emissions sensors were back to functioning correctly. I also put the oem catalytic converter back in.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Mugen_is_best
I didn't dare try. I just flashed back to the factory tune. The smog testing system did recognize that the ecu had been disconnected/flashed. I had to return to get it to pass. I put ~50 miles on the car before the emissions sensors were back to functioning correctly. I also put the oem catalytic converter back in.
What the smog testing system is checking is actually the readiness codes. It doesn't know that the ECU has been reset or disconnected. What is is reading is that the readiness codes are in the "not ready" state.

I don't even attempt a smog check before checking the readiness codes with an OBD2 reader. It just wastes your time & money if even one code is reporting "not ready" or "fail".
Old 07-11-2019, 12:21 PM

Mine will apparently fail now as the blinking CEL indicates. For the unacquainted turn the ignition On but don't start the car. Watch the CEL. If it goes out in maybe 30 seconds you're set. If it keeps blinking you're not.

-- Chuck