S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

Gernby eTune Review

Old 05-20-2016, 03:21 AM

Received 1,131 Likes on 994 Posts

Glad you found this! (I just posted a recommendation on your other message today.)

The ECU remains fully functional. I can watch my air-fuel-ratios (on my iPad) being constantly adjusted to the ideal settings while on the road for example.

Greg's email should be in the member area. If you can't find it PM me and I'll send it.

After Greg gets your PayPal payment you'll get very detailed instructions and a set of seven (7) diagnostic tunes via email. You'll run each calibration three (3) times and sent the data back to him for analysis. I initially had trouble loading these into the ECU -- nervousness and failure to read the FlashPro instructions!

You'll repeat the process at least once, maybe 2 times after which you'll get a final tune to leave in the ECU. Greg will want to see an extended capture of that as well to determine if any tweaks need to be made. I changed exhausts mid stream so it took three sets.

-- Chuck
Old 05-20-2016, 05:52 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I apologize for not posting sooner. I've been tied up with my day job and changes in "living arrangements" for the past several weeks.

It seems that the recent questions have been answered, but if something isn't clear, feel free to click the email button under my avatar to email me.
Old 06-10-2016, 04:06 PM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I recently requested an etune from gernby (Greg). I have had little to no experience with a flashpro. The closest thing I've done to this was use a cobb accessport to load stage1 maps to my wrx.

I have to say that Greg was more than patient with me. Being a complete noob I had tons of questions. I probably sent Greg 20 emails throughout the process.

As for the actual tuning process itself everything was very straight forward. Greg sent me an e-mail with 7 calibrations and very specific (easy to follow) instructions on how the data logs should be collected. Once I had the logs I sent them to Greg who then sent me another batch. After the 2nd batch of calibrations were completed I was given a STD map which I could use for daily driving. A few small tweaks later and I couldn't be happier.

I believe lowering vtec makes the biggest difference. Mine now engages at 3600rpm. Of all of the bolt on modifications I've made to my cars over the years this tune made the greatest noticeable difference. 3rd gear pulls harder than it ever has.

Anyways rest assured that Gernby knows his stuff!!!
Old 09-02-2016, 12:56 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick plug for Gernby Just finished an eTune with Gernby, couldn't be happier. Power is much more linear, VTEC kicks in at 3600 instead of 6400 (due to high altitude), feels more powerful on the old butt dyno and much more fun to drive. At first wasn't sure about the tamer throttle map, but turns out it is a life saver in stop and go traffic. Mods include a FIPK and Berk 63.5mm HFC.
Old 09-03-2016, 03:31 AM

Same intake and cat as markman. With the Tanabe Medalion Touring exhaust the car dynoed at 221 bhp at the rear wheels on a conservative Mustang dyno. But more important than peak power is where it is! Mid range power is greatly improved -- was astounding at first and is for friends driving the car for the first time.

RPM climbs so fast in the lower gears (and on freeway on-ramps) I installed a red line alarm to keep from hitting the rev limiter so often! Cruising in the 75 - 80 mph range, about 4000 rpm on the low power cam, there is frequently no need to downshift one (or two) gears to get around show movers on the freeway, VTEC is right under my right foot. Fuel economy on the highway remains the same.

-- Chuck
Old 09-03-2016, 08:53 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I just touched up my old e-tune with Gernby since i removed my s/c and went back to stock plus a TP. Process once again was nice n easy. I have a perfect area to do the pulls and datalog, so this helps expedite the evolution. Greg really helped me out again and as always receives a from me!
Old 09-06-2017, 06:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gernby
I apologize for not posting sooner. I've been tied up with my day job and changes in "living arrangements" for the past several weeks.

It seems that the recent questions have been answered, but if something isn't clear, feel free to click the email button under my avatar to email me.
Does anyone know if Gernby still providing etunes
Old 09-07-2017, 03:39 AM

You'll have to email him but posts earlier this summer indicate he was still supplying this service.

-- Chuck
Old 09-11-2017, 12:57 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, he is still currently providing tunes. I'm currently about 90% done with my Tune with gernby. I'm running the standard tune and just set him the datalogs. Now waiting to see if we need to make any more adjustments. Process took me about more than a month timeline. Takes me a few days to send him the datalogs and then Greg will respond back with the some more calibrations in a few days.

Only mods I have to the car is a takeda intake, berk hfc, and tanabe medallion exhaust.

The car is an absolute blast to drive. Just exactly how the guys have described in this thread. Night and day difference for everyday street spirited driving.

Last edited by s2kTdo; 09-11-2017 at 01:00 AM.
Old 09-18-2017, 01:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another satisfied customer... Gernby is awesome !!!

Hello Gents
Just wanted to chime in and share with you my experience with a Gernby tune.
Simply put..... its AWESOME!
Dont even think twice about doing it, eliminate any reservations you may have about a Gernby tune; you won't be sorry. Best NA tunner hands down !

Re: The process
Greg is a super nice guy, he was very pleasant and knowledgeable. By the time the datalogs go back and forth and it's all said and done, the process will take a few weeks. IMO it's pretty cool to take part in the tunning process; i.e. Follow his specific instructions, record your datalogs, download them, email them back etc. I know it sounds lengthy and complicated but it really isn't. You also get a feeling of involvement whereas dyno tunning you just pay someone to make your car perform. Hope this post helps anyone who is on the fence about tunning or just looking for that perfect tunner. I figured this short review was the least I could do for Mr. Gernby after getting one of his amazing tunes.
Keep up the great work Greg !!!

Regards
BF_S2000

Quick Reply: Gernby eTune Review