S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

How to update VIN on Hondata Kpro?

Old 04-05-2019, 12:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How to update VIN on Hondata Kpro?

Hi, I recently bought a year 2000 AP1 which came with a Hondata Kpro. I just went to inspect the car and the shop told me that it got flagged by the Inspection computer and asked me if I had changed ECUs. After reading a few threads, I am thinking that the VIN in the Kpro ECU did not match the VIN of the car itself. I've read that there is a way of changing the VIN on Kpro but have been poking around for a while here and in the KManager software with no luck.

How can I update VIN on Hondata Kpro?
Old 04-05-2019, 02:34 PM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Only place to change that I know of is under notes https://www.hondata.com/help/kmanage...parameters.htm
Not sure if this will actually be the VIN that the inspection reads, might need a dealer or similar to rewrite that.
Old 04-05-2019, 06:52 PM

Received 1,132 Likes on 995 Posts

You bet you changed ECUs. Or the previous owner did.
KPro S2000
This is a specially adapted ECU which allows the 2000-2005 S2000 to run from a RSX ECU. The engine crank and cam sensors must be changed to equivalent 2006-2007 parts - see below.

The S2000 KPro includes a new or user supplied RSX (PRB) ECU adapted for the S2000, and a wiring harness for the crank and cam sensors. It does not include the Honda parts - see mechanical modifications below. All user supplied ECUs must be PRB A01-A12 and in perfect working order. We will not use any other ECUs for the S2000.

Warning

Within the USA this product is legal only for racing vehicles which may never be used upon a public highway.
ECUs that are not road legal should not be expected to pass smog tests. This what you're trying to do? In what state?

Notes here seem to indicate you have to replace the OEM ECU every time before smog tests.

Hope I'm wrong.

-- Chuck
Old 04-06-2019, 04:38 AM

I see what you all are saying. I bought the car like this several months ago, but did not inspect it then because it was winter. I am in NY. If I end up needing to switch back to the original ECU, I am assuming that I need to revert the the sensors and other items required by the Hondata KPro. Right?

If this is the case, I'll probably just revert back to the stock ECU for good to avoid the hassle. I just have a catback exhaust.
Old 04-06-2019, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by flanders
Only place to change that I know of is under notes https://www.hondata.com/help/kmanage...parameters.htm
Not sure if this will actually be the VIN that the inspection reads, might need a dealer or similar to rewrite that.
Thanks. I found this and updated it. Let's see what happens.
Old 11-23-2019, 06:59 AM

Just to follow-up since I got a private message asking about it. I updated the VIN under the KPro KManager software and I had no problems during inspection after that. The VIN can be found under "Notes Parameters". Attachedis an example from the Hondata website.

Old 12-04-2019, 05:25 PM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

There is a video on youtube that shows you how to access your Kpro and make initial changes to the info like pictured above. On newer cars the system will look for the Vin of the car during state inspection. On older cars to the best of my knowledge it will not pick up the vin. You failed most likely due to some sensors could have been removed causing the state inspection machine to not pick up the sensor signal. There are ways around it in the settings on some stuff I think but I too am fairly new to hondata. When I got my car it too came with kpro v3 but the vin entered was wrong yet my car passed state inspection no issue. So I am not sure of your situation. As long its not password protected you can access it and transfer all the information into your name
Old 12-04-2019, 06:56 PM

Originally Posted by datsrboi
There is a video on youtube that shows you how to access your Kpro and make initial changes to the info like pictured above. On newer cars the system will look for the Vin of the car during state inspection. On older cars to the best of my knowledge it will not pick up the vin. You failed most likely due to some sensors could have been removed causing the state inspection machine to not pick up the sensor signal. There are ways around it in the settings on some stuff I think but I too am fairly new to hondata. When I got my car it too came with kpro v3 but the vin entered was wrong yet my car passed state inspection no issue. So I am not sure of your situation. As long its not password protected you can access it and transfer all the information into your name
I am 100% sure my issue was incorrect VIN on the Hondata. In New York state, the inspection machine reads the VIN from the ECU. If it does not match the VIN of the vehicle it is an automatic fail.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:59 PM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Thanks for the update, but are you 100% sure they really did read the VIN when you passed the test?
I don't think the kpro board writes that information to the ecu, it would be pretty cool if it did though.
Old 12-05-2019, 01:47 AM

Originally Posted by flanders
Thanks for the update, but are you 100% sure they really did read the VIN when you passed the test?
I don't think the kpro board writes that information to the ecu, it would be pretty cool if it did though.
Yes, I confirmed with my Tuner. That's how I figured out what was wrong when I had the issue during my first inspection.
The following users liked this post:
flanders (12-05-2019)