S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

KPRO - High Speed Low Speed Switch Over

Old 10-24-2010, 07:53 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default KPRO - High Speed Low Speed Switch Over

Is the High/Low Speed switch over done by activating VTEC?
Old 10-25-2010, 07:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you talking about closed and open loop fueling? What are you referring to?
Old 10-25-2010, 07:46 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

There are (2) Spark and Fuel tables, the base cal has the same load values but the RPM is different. Hondata calls them the Low and High speed tables. I have scoured the manual quite a few times and cannot find what activates the secondary map. In the Options Tab there is selection that says “Tables Follow VTEC” or “Tables Follow Cam Angle”, based on this I was under the assumption that if “Tables Follow VTEC” then the switch from Low Speed to High Speed Tables will follow the VTEC engagement.

Also what is the deal with the pressure breakpoints not saving to a calibration? KManager always defaults to the last setting that was selected. So if I am working on a N/A car then open a file for boosted car I have to guess what the original tuner or person used for pressure setting. The problem is if the original tuner selected the wrong setting one would potentially have to try and interpolate and retune.

I have spent a lot of time with other systems I am working on getting more familiar with the Hondata software and the above are the only (2) things I am struggling with.
Old 10-25-2010, 09:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ECU sends a signal to the VTEC solenoid so that oil pressure can activate the VTEC system.
Simultaneously, the oil pressure of the VTEC system activates another switch, which gives a return signal to the ECU to use the high speed maps.

This is a recall system, that VTEC has engaged
Old 10-25-2010, 09:59 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Yes, when Hondata talks about high speed / low speed, they are referring to the low and high cam proviles. You will tune the low speed fuel and ignition tables by setting VTEC engagement high (~6500 RPMs), then tune the high speed fuel and ignition tables by setting VTEC engagement low (~3K RPMs). Once the tables are tuned, set the new WOT VTEC engagement where the torque or fuel curves would cross, and set part throttle VTEC engagement at some RPM at or above that, depending on your preferences.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:23 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by bpaspi,Oct 25 2010, 01:26 PM
The ECU sends a signal to the VTEC solenoid so that oil pressure can activate the VTEC system.
Simultaneously, the oil pressure of the VTEC system activates another switch, which gives a return signal to the ECU to use the high speed maps.

This is a recall system, that VTEC has engaged
yes but 100% correct. You don't need the vtec pressure switch for vtec to engage. Mine is removed and it works perfectly fine.

As for the switching from low to high tables, I think the "tables follow vtec" option is simply for following alongside the tune in an active datalog playback. If you deselect it and try to playback a log, you'll stay in the table you have actively selected. In other words, when you hit vtec in a log playback it automatically shows you the high cam table to follow along with.
Old 10-25-2010, 10:34 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

But to answer you question more directly, I believe VTEC is the switch that alternates between the two maps