S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

Questions before first start on AEM infinity. Ignition Sync?

Old 09-05-2021, 07:46 PM

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Questions before first start on AEM infinity. Ignition Sync?

Hi All,

I just installed my turbo kit and my Science of Speed AEM infinity. I am ready to start the car for the first time to check for leaks and bleed the cooling system.

I have been following the instructions from SoS, which are good for the most part, but I ran into a part that wasn't clear to me.

The step says -
"Click Ignition Sync. Lock to 0, with a timing light on cylinder 1, adjust timing sync until white line (or 0 degrees BDC) on camshaft pulley is synchronized"

I have a few questions about this step-

1. I'm assuming they meant crank pulley and not cam pulley right?
2. I'm assuming this doesn't matter just for the initial start up/bleeding of the system as you have to start the engine to check the timing (with a timing light)... unless I'm missing something here.
3. I'm also under the assumption that this will need to be done before my e-tuning session. I'm not even 100% sure what they are asking me to do. Below is the "Ignition Sync" screen. So I'm assuming what needs done is I check the "lock ignition timing" box and enter 0 in the "degrees BTDC" box. While the car is running? Then I verify/adjust with a timing light? at idle?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance

The following users liked this post:
tunermt (12-26-2022)
Old 09-08-2021, 06:59 AM

Received 55 Likes on 41 Posts

I figured it out. This was an oversight on my part, I'm a noob to aftermarket ECUs and didn't realize the timing had to be synced to the ECU (makes sense, I just assumed that was built into the cam/crank signals). The basemap is close enough to get the car started and I plan on checking it with a timing light before my etuning session.
The following users liked this post:
tunermt (12-26-2022)
Old 12-26-2022, 06:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dustin02rsx
I figured it out. This was an oversight on my part, I'm a noob to aftermarket ECUs and didn't realize the timing had to be synced to the ECU (makes sense, I just assumed that was built into the cam/crank signals). The basemap is close enough to get the car started and I plan on checking it with a timing light before my etuning session.
For the F20 or F22 you in theory should not need to make any adjustments to sync the ignition timing. (ALLWAYS good to check/verify timing matches though). Because the F series does not have any movement on the cam or crank sensor there is no "mechanical adjustment point" like there is on say an older D or B series where the cam/crank sensors are both spun off the cam shaft and the distributor has room to rotate/move to "set timing".
Here is a little video that should help others through the process if there is any confusion. (no an F series in the video BUT process is identical non the less).