S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

Software Dyno for FlashPro users (and maybe KPro)

Old 12-09-2011, 09:37 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Very impressive. Looking forward to the new thread!
Old 12-16-2011, 07:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

I apologize to those that have sent me PMs for updates. I've been adding new functionality so fast that it wouldn't make sense to post the new thread yet. I've just now added some of the tuning functionality that has been in the Excel Soft Dyno for a long time (hidden), and it works VERY well. I've also added some functionality to suggest ignition timing based on the fuel maps. It does help find the dips and bumps in timing that will generate a smooth torque curve, but I don't know how safe it would be to use on other cars.

I still don't know when or if I'll be able to give this to anyone, since Hondata doesn't seem interested in it. It's a shame, since I hate all this going to waste. If any of you are REALLY interested in using this, and are willing to buy a CAN dongle (I don't sell them), I'll give you the software for free. Aside from a CAN dongle, all you need is a "good" laptop with a multicore processor, and you'll be tuning like a MO-FO! The multicore processor is important due to the multi-threading that's required to get everything done in a non-Real Time OS (Windows).

Anyway, here are some screenshots from tonight's testing. The dyno plots aren't as consistent as usual due to the extreme heat soaking that occurred between some runs while I was debuging something. Multithreaded applications can be a bitch...

BTW, the top lines in the picture below are torque, and the bottom lines are the fuel injector pulse width.
Name:  CANDynoIIMain.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  85.2 KBName:  CANDynoIIAFREFF.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  71.1 KBName:  CANDynoIIKnock.jpg
Views: 164
Size:  78.7 KBName:  CANDynoIIIGNMAP.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  71.6 KBName:  CANDynoIIFuelChg2.jpg
Views: 198
Size:  155.2 KBName:  CANDynoIIIGN.jpg
Views: 200
Size:  171.3 KB
Old 12-17-2011, 03:03 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What is this CAN Dyno program you have screen-shots of. Is this a supplement tool to your Softdyno?
Old 12-29-2011, 04:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

genius! when will it be available for download?
Old 12-29-2011, 05:03 AM
Former Sponsor

I'll post a new thread soon with a link to download the new CAN Dyno / Soft Dyno. I recently added functionality to read in the FlashPro CSV files, but wasn't able to improve the torque plots all that much over the original Excel Soft Dyno. The best torque plots require a CAN Dongle in order to access the high resolution VSS data. Honestly, when using a CAN dongle, the torque plots are "better" than any DynoJet plots I've ever received. If any of you own DynoJet stock ... sell it.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:11 AM
Former Sponsor

I think I'm ready to allow one or two people to download the new application. However, it really needs to be someone that has used the OLD Excel based soft dyno quite a bit, and is pretty good with computers, since I'm sure there are going to be some bugs to work through, and I need to reduce "operator error" as much as possible. Please send me a PM if you think you would be a good candidate for testing it out.

Below is a sample output using the FlashPro datalogs in the Old and New Soft Dynos. All of the screen shots were generated using the same Datalog. Some may prefer the Excel version, since it has less "noise" in the plots, but I prefer the detail that the new version offers. It's amazing how much better of a tune you can get with the added detail.

Excel-based Soft Dyno:
Name:  SoftDyno1-1.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  51.6 KB
Name:  SoftDyno2-1.jpg
Views: 192
Size:  69.0 KB
Name:  SoftDyno4-1.jpg
Views: 196
Size:  68.4 KB
Name:  SoftDyno3-1.jpg
Views: 188
Size:  75.6 KB

.Net Standalone Soft Dyno:
Name:  CANDyno1.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  129.5 KB
Name:  CANDyno2.jpg
Views: 214
Size:  98.4 KB
Name:  CANDyno3.jpg
Views: 182
Size:  30.0 KB
Old 01-02-2012, 11:54 AM
Former Sponsor

I forgot to post this other screen shot that shows the torque plot from the same 3 pulls when using the CAN dongle instead of the FlashPro datalog. The torque plot is very similar, but the resolution is about twice as good. However, the biggest benefit of using the CAN dongle is that everything is LIVE, which means you don't have to export the FlashPro datalogs to text files in order to see the plots. You actually see the graphs rendered as you drive!

Name:  CANDynoTorque.jpg
Views: 183
Size:  119.0 KB
Old 02-04-2012, 05:56 PM

Hey Gernby! Thanks for helping me with my testpipe questions a couple weeks back! Happy to tell you I've installed the TP and getting the car tuned by Evans as we speak! The car is night and day different vs. stock.. it's awesome.

No onto the real reason why i'm posting. I'm having some issues using your Softdyno.. whenever I try to import the datalog I get a formula error for Average ECT, Average MAP, and SAE Correction. I'm emailing you my csv file to your yahoo. Any idea what I did wrong?
Old 02-06-2012, 10:20 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by sfrederiksen
Hey Gernby! Thanks for helping me with my testpipe questions a couple weeks back! Happy to tell you I've installed the TP and getting the car tuned by Evans as we speak! The car is night and day different vs. stock.. it's awesome.

No onto the real reason why i'm posting. I'm having some issues using your Softdyno.. whenever I try to import the datalog I get a formula error for Average ECT, Average MAP, and SAE Correction. I'm emailing you my csv file to your yahoo. Any idea what I did wrong?

The 2 obvious issues with the datalog you sent is that the filename doesn't end with the relative humitdity (i.e. "3rd gear pull 40%.csv"), and and it also doesn't begin below 3000 RPMs. The thing that I use to "trigger" the beginning of a pull is a transition to WOT in 3rd gear below 3K RPMs that continues to at least 6K RPMs. This filters out all the WOT that I do between pulls.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:34 PM

Thanks Gernby. Yeah, the datalog I sent you didn't include humidity, but I caught my error and did include it in my 2nd pass.

Also, Evans Tuning is having me "slowly go to WOT" starting from 2000 RPM, which is probably why we're not seeing WOT #'s until 4000ish RPM. I'll try another run and WOT starting at 2000RPM!

Also, do the two above issues you mention explain why I'm seeing this?

Quick Reply: Software Dyno for FlashPro users (and maybe KPro)