S2000 Engine Management Engine management topics, map and advice.

Software Dyno for FlashPro users (and maybe KPro)

Old 03-05-2012, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the update. Unfortunately, I am still having two problems
  1. The "Knock Level" and "Knock Retard" lines are swapped to the wrong plots. "Knock Retard" is drawn on the "Knock Level" plot and then "Knock Level" is drawn on the "Ignition and Knock Retard" plot
  2. It uses Uncorrected AFR and the check box to use AFR Corrected is gone which means I cant use the Suggested Fuel Adjustment plot
Old 03-05-2012, 04:57 PM

Did you update the link in post 1 or post 74? I tried post 1 as suggested and still had the problems above but I just tried the link from post 74 and it seems to work fine!
Old 03-05-2012, 11:36 PM

it would be nice to try Net Standalone Soft Dyno instead of Excel-based one
Old 03-06-2012, 07:27 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Vaikis_
After seeing so little interest about the .NET version, I lost interest in posting it for download. There's also some functionality that I has been added that I think would be too risky for many people to use. I would have to create another "public version" like I did with the Excel version, which was a PITA to maintain.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by gernby
Originally Posted by Vaikis_' timestamp='1331022998' post='21480998
After seeing so little interest about the .NET version, I lost interest in posting it for download. There's also some functionality that I has been added that I think would be too risky for many people to use. I would have to create another "public version" like I did with the Excel version, which was a PITA to maintain.
That's a shame I came back to this thread about a week ago and saw all the progress you've made on that new .net version, and was very much looking forward to what was to come. I would have offered to test myself, but even though I've used the Excel version in the past, I've never had enough time to play with my car to say that I'm an extensive user of it, and therefore I don't think I'd be a helpful tester. But I did use it when I went out to do a little street tuning when I had the time. If you were to release the .net version, I'd definitely hop on the right CAN adapters and stuff right away. It'd be especially awesome to use once I get my new tp in
Old 03-07-2012, 05:45 AM
Former Sponsor

I'll consider the options. I don't know if I mentioed it, but the .NET version only requires an external CAN dongle in order to do real-time dyno plots. It will also process CSV datalogs just like the Excel version.

Old 03-12-2012, 01:27 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Are you using the standard CAN PIDs or sniffing the Hondata requests for your .NET application?
Old 03-13-2012, 07:24 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by imstimpy
Are you using the standard CAN PIDs or sniffing the Hondata requests for your .NET application?
I started out by simply sniffing the live traffic on the CAN bus, which uses proprietary ID's. That data contains high frame rates for everything needed for an excellent torque curve. However, there were a couple other items that aren't available live, so I queried for them using the standard OBDII PID's. This works very well when the FlashPro is disconnected, but not when it is connected. If the FlashPro is connected (for live tuning), then I quit querying anything, and just listen.

Honestly, it would be SO NICE if Hondata would open up some sort of interface for me to access the CAN data directly from the FlashPro instead of using the external CAN dongle. I really think it would be a huge benefit, even if you have a conventional dyno. Honestly, if I had a DynoJet, I would still use this software instead of WinPep! I can't imagine a better way to tune than to show torque, fuel, AFR, efficiency, ignition timing, and knock level all on the same "page".
Old 03-13-2012, 09:14 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by gernby
Originally Posted by imstimpy' timestamp='1331587677' post='21502106
I started out by simply sniffing the live traffic on the CAN bus, which uses proprietary ID's. That data contains high frame rates for everything needed for an excellent torque curve. However, there were a couple other items that aren't available live, so I queried for them using the standard OBDII PID's. This works very well when the FlashPro is disconnected, but not when it is connected. If the FlashPro is connected (for live tuning), then I quit querying anything, and just listen.

Honestly, it would be SO NICE if Hondata would open up some sort of interface for me to access the CAN data directly from the FlashPro instead of using the external CAN dongle. I really think it would be a huge benefit, even if you have a conventional dyno. Honestly, if I had a DynoJet, I would still use this software instead of WinPep! I can't imagine a better way to tune than to show torque, fuel, AFR, efficiency, ignition timing, and knock level all on the same "page".
The issue with all standalone dyno systems is that you typically guess the RPM into the dyno. From there on out, each run will be shifted from the dyno to the logging tools. The next time the car goes on the dyno, the RPM pickup will be different once again. A few hundred RPM shift will be the difference between one breakpoint and another so consistent correlation of data saves time.

If you are lucky, you can integrate the wideband output into the logging tools. Since dynos and widebands vary as much as cars do, you are will be lucky to be able to take your tuning tools and actually integrate with a dyno. More often than not, the dyno will log its inputs, the tuner will log the cars inputs, then the tuner must correlate the two.

I'd love to play with the Excel dyno, but I'm using my own logging tools and didn't see a list of required monitors. Do you have that list handy? I haven't had a chance to look through the macros to determine them yet. Similarly, I am quite excited about your .NET application, however my CAN stream is coming through a proprietary dongle that doesn't support VCP.
Old 03-14-2012, 10:42 AM
Former Sponsor

I use the CAN dongle from canusb.com, but don't use VCP. The driver I use is the FTDI D2XX, which gives better bit rates.

I'm not sure what you are asking about "monitors". My software just looks for the specific data it needs to generate the graphs from the datastreem OR FlashPro CSV datalog. I don't know if it would work with anything other than an '06+ S2000, but I look forward to the opportunity to try it out on other platforms.

Quick Reply: Software Dyno for FlashPro users (and maybe KPro)