S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

BR Performance Supercharger

Old 07-29-2006, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BR Performance Supercharger

Is this thing going to become a reality or is it just a pipe dream??? I've been lurking around their site and not much info there either. They released a spy pic of a non intercooled system but no pic of the intercooled system yet.

Here's a link to the photo: Non Intercooled system

Has anyone even gotten the kit installed on their car yet???

Inquiring minds want to know!!!
Old 07-29-2006, 08:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think eventually it will come out.....but who knows how long it will take. Those guys have had an S2000 SC in development for about 2 years (maybe more than that) now. it started life as a cold side SC integrated into the intake, then about a year after anyone heard anything about that idea this video pops up of a black 2 with a functional hot side SC. The hot side (charger over the exhaust) has went through a bunch of changes setting the release date back a couple of times. I used to keep up with it but I lost interest.
Old 07-29-2006, 10:35 PM

Actually, Brant, owner of BRP, emailed me on 11/4/2004 to tell me they were going to be working on a roots type SC kit for the S2000, so it's a little less than 2 years since the *proposal*. I am a former Miata owner (their specialty) and he wound up finding me on S2ki after I got the S.

Since then I believe a lot has happened within the company. Partners have gone their separate ways and they have recently gone through some realignments, expanding their product line (S2000's and Mini's, as well as a blower kit for the new Miata). So, lots going on. How long did it take Comptech to develop their SC kit? How about the aftercooler option that everyone was waiting for? I ask this to prove a point because I know for a fact it was a LONG time for both of them and they're a larger company. I'm as anxious as anyone else. I've had a $1,200 deposit into it since Feb, but what are the options? I'm not interested in a centrifugal unit or turbo for this car, so I wait.

There is a "beta" forum over there that not everyone can see (only beta users). Sometimes BR posts stuff in there that probably should be made public. Here is some info that was posted about a month ago:

[QUOTE]Well, there is a lot to tell you guys so buckle up.

For starters, I'm going to take over the S2000 project from Brant. He is getting busy with a bunch of other things, and since I'm going to be doing a lot on the S2000 products for the website, I'm going to help finish up the kit. Parts are already starting to arrive, and we'll keep you updated as more comes in. The first 5 superchargers are already here waiting.

The kit itself has changed forms a bit. We've had some trouble getting some key components for the intercoolers. Combine that with the recent success we've had with Stage One Tuning and we've decided to split the kit up into a non-intercooled version, and an intercooler upgrade. The plus side is you'll end up paying $500 less than before.

The basic kit will now retail for $3995 without the intercooler. The intercooler upgrade kit will list for $1495. Total you're now looking at $5490 for the same kit that was expected to cost $5995. On top of that, the early adopters will still get the $500 off the new price.

In the next few days I will be finishing up the bill of materials with our production team. We are expecting the non-intercooled kits to be available in 4-6 weeks, depending on how fast our various suppliers come through. Intercooler upgrades will probably be ready 2-4 weeks after that.

So now, you guys have a choice. Your $500 credit will apply to the basic kit, and you can now choose to intercool the car or not. The intercooler upgrade is a full kit complete with pulley and belt. Everything you'll need to make more power. The other option is simply to not purchase the intercooler and you'll have an MP62 kit for $3495.
Old 07-30-2006, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by PilotKD,Jul 30 2006, 12:35 AM
So it will be reality. It just depends on how much patience you have.
OK pilot, you just keep telling yourself that. I hope you haven't already given these con men your money!

Just Kidding! That's some good news with the price drop! What kind of intercooler are they using now? Last I heard they were talking about air to water, which is about the time I started losing interest/patience.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:12 PM

I think a lot of people have lost interest or patience. That's why updates are important. It keeps us up to date on the progress and more forgiving when snags or set backs occur. This is exactly the type of supercharger I've been wanting for the S2k so it would be a real let down if this was to go bust.
Old 07-30-2006, 06:41 PM
Former Moderator

They have my deposit and I know I will have to wait a little bit longer for the IC kits to ship.

Last real update was that they had all the production parts in but are working on the bill of materials, installation guide (which means they need to install the kit on a car), etc.. Mid-August was the expected date when non-IC kits would begin shipping with the IC kits to be a week or four behind that.

The IC will be an A/W barrel type similar to this one:

I hope they provide the kit with a quality proper sized radiator to hook up to the thing or I will be sourcing a spearco repacement.

For me the wiat just means I do not have to feel compelled to install my kit in 110F heat.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:43 AM
mts

This kit will likely become a reality, but who knows when. Based on my recent experience with them, I wouldn't think a production version would be ready until well into 2007 if not much later.

I ordered a roots SC kit for my wife's Miata from them earlier this year and it took 3 1/2 months to get it (just last week). I got it only after bugging them quite a bit. Even then it had some missing/wrong parts, and no instructions for the IC set-up (per a phone call those instructions don't even exist yet though Rob was able to email me some pictures). I *think* they used to source their A/A IC's from another company (Track Dog Racing) and must have decided to develop their own.......just a guess as to why no instructions?

They have always had a good reputation as a company in the Miata world and I am sure they will get things fixed, but the reason I posted my experience with a Miata kit is that the Miata kit I ordered is a kit they've been selling for years (my understanding is they've sold over 800 units similar to the one I ordered). If they are having that many issues delivering a kit they've already sold 800+ times, how long do you really think it will be before they can ACCURATELY deliver a newly developed kit? Me thinks it might be a while. Good luck to PilotKD and others doing the Beta testing.....I hope it works out because this would be a lovely unit for the S2k.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:29 PM

[QUOTE=ROLLINS,Jul 30 2006, 06:44 PM]OK pilot, you just keep telling yourself that.
Old 08-01-2006, 04:43 PM

This news is rather disturbing
Old 08-01-2006, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by slimjim8201,Aug 1 2006, 06:43 PM
This news is rather disturbing
I agree. I had high hopes regarding this kit and was excited not only by the kit but by the prospect of purchasing it from a company that delivered for the customer. My experience at this point is that the company has delivered neither the kit nor the customer service and they don't care to let others know why/why not

Quick Reply: BR Performance Supercharger