S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Cam Timing with Supercharger

Old 05-10-2012, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would adjustable cam gears be a more precise/effective means of doing what the cam keys do? I understand that the cam keys cost not shit, but adj camgears allow more precise tuning.

Cam key settings are win or fail. While adj cam gears have infanit settings. On the dyno, I would rather pull the valve cover off and make adjustments to the camgears rather than removing the stock camgears to install win or fail cam keys. I would imagine adj camgears would allow you to optimize ones individual setup alot better. Though who am I to start blabbering, I dont have neither adj cam gear or cam keys.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:48 PM

Received 102 Likes on 71 Posts

answer to your statement^^

Adjustable cam gears= $800 doll hairs

Cam keys = $100 for two of them.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:54 PM

Daaaaymmm! Im used to $2-300 adj cam gears for nissans. Never looked at whats available or price for the s2000. Cam keys seem like a valid attempt at worst.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:23 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yeah not the best result for me and they were installed correctly - as said previously they did 'very' little for me.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:32 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RAIN H8R
I still feel we installed the keys right, but regardless the plan as of now is to take the keys out and reverse what they are at and re-dyno the car, and see what that gets us.

blah, its been a long two weeks with this car!

i am also considering ditching the keys in my car.

Damn that sucks to hear... guess Ill hold out till you report success with these.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by 06S2k07Si
So...

RAINH8R picked up my car from King Motorsports today for me because it was done (he lives pretty close to King). Trans back in and new Competition Clutch Stage2 clutch and pp replacement (due to the failed piece) and also I decided to replace my 11.5lb CC FW with the AP1 14lb OEM piece. I was tired of the slight chattering when trying to back up or just slightly move forward in traffic. Hopefully I'll be happy with this set up now!

Disappointing news...Well, it looks like we may have accidentally installed the keys wrong as well! I don't have any numbers or dyno charts in front of me at this time, but according to my very recent phone call to RAINH8R (he talked with the tuner at King), I have lost about 20whp (fully tuned) (perhaps indicating the same initial situation as watch0bak). Chances are that I will get more info soon, but probably not till Tuesday due to the fact that Mike (at King) is out till then. Being that this is MY first time doing this and that we did NOT take any pics I cannot be sure of anything at this time. When we re-install them we'll be certain to take lots of pics.

Unfortunately...more to come.

Brian
This reminds me of exactly what happened to me the first time. The first time we did it, I completely forgot to take pictures like I planned to so I couldn't be sure of anything. The second time around, I made sure to take all the pictures I can to prove/disprove that keys actually make power.

Good luck with everything! Looking forward to the numbers!

- Sung
Old 05-14-2012, 12:07 PM

Got re-tuned yesterday with the cam keys installed exactly as watch0bak did, with the numbers facing outwards (+2 exhaust, -1 intake). I also went from a 4.25" pulley to a 3.8" pulley on my V3 SCi setup which increased boost from 8.5psi to a tad under 11psi.

I gained 25whp/20wtq corrected at 8500rpm. Comparing the before and after graphs, it looks like the gains were all from boost (very linear gains). My tuner agreed and didn't think the cam timing change did much (+/-). He said +1psi = +10whp, so netting +25whp from +2.5psi is expected. I ended up at 375whp/235wtq @ 8500rpm.

Sorry that this isn't clear evidence of the keys helping or not. I do know they were installed correctly though. I was hoping to be above 12psi but I guess I didn't get a small enough pulley. Does dropping the pulley by .25" = +1psi usually?

Thoughts?
Old 05-14-2012, 12:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cheehee
Got re-tuned yesterday with the cam keys installed exactly as watch0bak did, with the numbers facing outwards (+2 exhaust, -1 intake). I also went from a 4.25" pulley to a 3.8" pulley on my V3 SCi setup which increased boost from 8.5psi to a tad under 11psi.

I gained 25whp/20wtq corrected at 8500rpm. Comparing the before and after graphs, it looks like the gains were all from boost (very linear gains). My tuner agreed and didn't think the cam timing change did much (+/-). He said +1psi = +10whp, so netting +25whp from +2.5psi is expected. I ended up at 375whp/235wtq @ 8500rpm.

Sorry that this isn't clear evidence of the keys helping or not. I do know they were installed correctly though. I was hoping to be above 12psi but I guess I didn't get a small enough pulley. Does dropping the pulley by .25" = +1psi usually?

Thoughts?

what sucks is more then one variable was changed, and its hard to figure out where the power increase came from. best way to do this.

dyno that day
raise boost
dyno again
install keys
dyno again.

all on same day if possible. oh well, 25 whp gain is nothing to sneeze at.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:10 PM

Hey guys

I've installed the cam key but dont know if install correctly or not, the problem now with my car is after 8000rpm the boost start droping really bad.

Feels like the engine is holding the air to go in. Just wondering if in the case i really install it wrong will such a thing happen?

I've look at the belt doesnt look like its slipping.

I've tried on full throttle 80% 50% and even 20% as long as it hits 8000 the boost drop.

any idea guys??

Thanks

Fung
Old 07-21-2012, 04:23 AM

Received 102 Likes on 71 Posts

I doubt its the cam keys. Probably a vacuum/boost leak. Retrace your steps. What did you all remove to do the key insyall?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk 2

Quick Reply: Cam Timing with Supercharger