S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Clevite rod bearings?

Old 04-28-2009, 06:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clevite rod bearings?

Hey guys-

Well, Bobby down at S&R found out what was wrong with the motor. The head was not straight afterall. Damn half-ass machine shop up here told me it was within spec. Explains the milkshake.

Bobby did affirmatively tell me that the bearings in the motor are the WRONG bearings. He said that they were "Clevite" bearings. That they work GREAT in small block chevy's, but horrible in Honda's...

So, either Laskey Racing used the wrong bearings for the assembly, or the individual I purchased the motor from did work on it he did not tell me about. Not sure what to think...

Has anyone else used these bearings with success in an s2k application?

Dropping the s2k off for re-install this weekend. Hopefully this soap-opera will now be over!

John
Old 04-28-2009, 06:36 AM

you mean clevite bearings? those are actually very good bearings, yes mostly used in domestic motors, and is the bearing that is used in NASCAR, but in my opinion nothing beats OEM honda bearings for a honda..
Old 04-28-2009, 07:50 AM
Former Sponsor

never had prob running clevite bearings here. im running acl race bearing on my s though.... usually bearing failure is due to clearance issues or bad oiling.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Clevite 77s on a 3SGTE (MR2Turbo) that revs to 8k RPMs ... never a problem.

J
Old 04-28-2009, 08:07 AM

yeah clevites are very good... like peter said, it was poor tolerances or an oiling issue
Old 04-28-2009, 09:23 AM

Interesting. S&R is putting OEM bearings back in there.

Yeah, they are Clevite's (wasn't sure how to spell it). It most definitely was an oiling issue, as my oil light came one.

Question is why did it come on... whether it be due to lifted head mixed/thinned oil (it was NEW oil, and the coolant system was holding pressure) or because the bearings were worn and were chewing oil...

I think it was a combo of the two... Lifted head weakened / wore the bearings down a bit. When the HG was fixed, they just started chewing oil til the light came on.

There was definitely coolant mixing, but the oil was NEW and there were NO overheating issues, heater worked fine, coolant system pressurized, etc. I think it was coolant running into the crank case / other areas, as I had good compression, just leaky as hell with coolant.

John
Old 04-28-2009, 09:33 AM
Former Sponsor

make sure your motor and all the oil lines are completely clean before installing new bearings. also check if there are any score marks on the crank. if so change them
Old 04-28-2009, 11:24 AM

Peter - Thanks for the advise. The shop did note that there was copper in the oil passages throughout the block, so they went ahead and flushed everything out. Only thing remaining to be flushed is the turbo itself...

John
Old 04-28-2009, 11:47 AM
Former Sponsor

no prob john. make sure your motor is CLEAN or same thing will happen again.
peter
Old 04-28-2009, 04:52 PM

Clevites are great bearings, like everyone here already said. They work well, people just use OEM honda bearings a lot in honda race motors just because the OEMs are already so damn good, there's not much reason to use an aftermarket bearing.

Milkshake oil will kill your bearings pretty much immediately. That's probably where the problem started.

Quick Reply: Clevite rod bearings?