S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Comptech Novi 1200 build plan advice needed

Old 04-12-2018, 07:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Comptech Novi 1200 build plan advice needed

So as the title states, I just picked up a used Comptech Supercharger Novi 1200 with a front mount intercooler. I was wanting to bounce my gameplan off of you guys to see if I can head off any potential mistakes that I may encounter.

I have a 2006 Ap2 with hfc, flashpro and stock everything else.

My plan is to install an fx350 clutch kit with ap1 flywheel, id1050x with plug and play connectors and use the guage art guage listed here https://www.scienceofspeed.com/index...0-2000-09.html to use as my only guage.

My goal is a 375rwhp from a 3.2" pulley.

My main concerns are getting the car to the tuning shop that is 4 hours away and if I actually need to buy additional sensors and gauges. I really wanted a single gauge setup that was out of sight of other cars / drivers. I am on the fence about buying a fuel pump. I have read of others running stock fuel pump with same injectors and higher hp without issue. I also heard the stock map sensor is good up to 10 - 11psi and I only plan to be running about 8.3 psi.

As for transportation, I read that I can just leave the belt disconnected so that I wouldn't be making any boost and can drive the car like that to the tuner. I would have to make an adjustment in flashpro to let the car know about the bigger injectors but I believe I would be able to get there.

Please let me know what you think of my tentative gameplan.
Old 04-12-2018, 08:36 AM

Old 04-12-2018, 10:34 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Where did you get your information from how much power and boost you will make with a 3.2" pulley on that blower? Its not accurate at all.

Assuming the typical 5.45" crank pulley with the 3.2" pulley on a Novi 1200 at 8500rpm, I saw 17psi average. Now you have a fmic which will rob a couple psi typically, so expect around 14-15psi at that rpm, give or take 1psi if you decide to rev to 8k or push to 9k.

8psi isn't even at that blowers efficiency range yet, and wont see 375whp, more typical is about 325whp. If you want to make 375whp on that blower you need at least 10psi. 3.6" pulley would be closer to what you need there.

The 8.5lb act prolight flywheel is a fantastic option, especially since you are adding rotating mass to your engine via SC. I would go with this option since its the lightest on the market wile being a one piece bullet proof design. The 14lb ap1 flywheel is a noticeable/nice improvement over the 22lb boat anchor you are used to, but as mentioned you are adding rotational mass to the engine here, and you would appreciate offsetting that with the lighter option. I love the prolight with the F22, the motor just loves to rev with it and feels most natural/smooth for rev matching and heel toe work. Not as much with he ap1, as the revs are still a bit slow to fall. This will be magnified with a SC attached.

I haven't heard much about the clutch option you are going with. I went with the science of speed street clutch which held all 17psi/450whp of my set up.

ID 1000 are great injectors. As long as you have a base calibration tune to run those, you should be able to drive to your tuner. You can run with or without the SC belt, your choice. If you run with the belt, just be mindful to drive normal/lighter on the foot so you aren't boosting.

So as far as a new fuel pump or returnless kit and map sensor, id say all depends on your boost plans. Id say you have up to 10-11psi before you need to worry about those things.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 04-12-2018 at 10:39 AM.
The following users liked this post:
CTRLFRK (04-12-2018)
Old 04-12-2018, 11:55 AM

That helps a lot! I think in my head I was planning on running a different pulley other than the 3.2" and that's why I had these weird numbers in my head, but I'll have to play around with different options Since I have 2 pulleys and 2 crank pulleys to choose from. I have a different crank pulley option that I may be able to use with the 4.2" pulley that I have and maybe achieve the ~8lbs of boost that I was looking for. My real target is ~400 - 410rwhp but I only have a 3.2" and 4.2" pulley to choose from and I forgot to measure my second crank pulley to see what that combination would give me psi wise.

Is there a way to wire in the stock map sensor to a aftermarket boost guage?
Old 04-12-2018, 12:02 PM

Well, I just saw how cheap pulleys are from science of speed so I think I will get the 3.6 that you were recommending.
Old 04-12-2018, 01:00 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by CTRLFRK
Well, I just saw how cheap pulleys are from science of speed so I think I will get the 3.6 that you were recommending.
There is only 2 pulley sizes that come on these style of kits, the 5.45" as mentioned and then Vortech uses a 6". The larger crank pulley yields more boost with the same size SC pulley FYI. Some have had custom size crank pulleys made beyond 6" and I suppose its possible you ended up with one of those, so its important that you measure and factor this into your boost expectation when selecting a sc pulley. Ballpark for reference, the 6" pulley if you were to run means you should increase the diameter of the sc pulley to get the same boost by at least 2 sizes, and could be 3, you would need to do the math to verify which it is. But for example. 5.45'/3.2" = 6"/3.6" Same boost yield. And for this reason not only can you get more over spool/boost with the larger crank pulley if you choose, its also helpful in allowing you to run a larger sc pulley to help mitigate belt slip issues which some people report when you start getting down into that 3.2" or smaller range.
CTRLFRK (04-12-2018)
Old 04-12-2018, 01:05 PM
Community Organizer

Originally Posted by CTRLFRK
That helps a lot! I think in my head I was planning on running a different pulley other than the 3.2" and that's why I had these weird numbers in my head, but I'll have to play around with different options Since I have 2 pulleys and 2 crank pulleys to choose from. I have a different crank pulley option that I may be able to use with the 4.2" pulley that I have and maybe achieve the ~8lbs of boost that I was looking for. My real target is ~400 - 410rwhp but I only have a 3.2" and 4.2" pulley to choose from and I forgot to measure my second crank pulley to see what that combination would give me psi wise.

Is there a way to wire in the stock map sensor to a aftermarket boost guage?
Yes, it wont matter the map sensor as long as the new EMS intercepts the map harness provisions, which any typical EMS will standard for data logging reference. You can also of course run a standalone gauge as a reference monitor on the fly simply by installing direct to your manifold vac source. You wont get data logging this way, but you will still see boost on gauge.
CTRLFRK (04-12-2018)
Old 04-12-2018, 02:09 PM

I was planning on running the stock ecu / flashpro. I wasn't going to do a standalone ems. Not sure what the best way to do it is with the stock ecu.
Old 04-12-2018, 04:31 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Comptech offers a larger crank pulley. It's 6", you just have to ask for it. I'm running it and whatever their "9psi" pulley is. I see ~11 psi at 8600 on my f22. 350s on a dynapack. I picked up about 10whp everywhere with a return fuel system, I had basically maxed my id1000s and the stock setup.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:05 PM

What would I need boost wise and pulley wise to get Z06 acceleration?

Quick Reply: Comptech Novi 1200 build plan advice needed