S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Comptech/SOS Stage 1 SC Kit IATs on track

Old 05-30-2017, 08:34 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Comptech/SOS Stage 1 SC Kit IATs on track

Looking some feedback from people who track their S2000s with either the SOS Stage 1 or Comptech SC kits.

1.What kind of IATs are you guys seeing during a 20-25 mins open track session and are you running the heat exchanger that came with the kit or a larger one?
2. Have you experienced any reliability issues?

I have a Comptech SC kit laying around that I'm considering throwing on my car but I'm hesitant given that I live in South Florida and don't want to deal with heating issues. I already have a 19row oil cooler and upgraded radiator, but I'm concerned with increased IATs from the blower. I will only be running the stock pulley size, so 7 psi.
Old 05-31-2017, 02:16 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

So last year I ran the Comptech Novi 1000 blower at 7psi with the SoS upgraded Heat Exchanger and Bosch Cobra water pump, IAT's in 95* day were in the 150's at the end of a session. With that being said the car still ran strong, but was probably producing 20-30 less HP due to the ECU pulling timing to compensate for the higher IAT's. I have not had any reliability issues running the supercharger at the track or on the street. The key is getting a good tune and not trying to push the envelope to get the highest HP numbers, the car will be reliable.
Old 05-31-2017, 09:51 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

What were you tuned on? I was planning on using the piggyback that's included in the kit.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:29 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

This is a two fold issue really. You need to find out whats the issue when on track

- You need to know the temperature of the coolant when it comes out of the chargecooler and whether its saturated to the point it cant cool the intake charge anymore.
- If the coolant temperature isn't excessively high then the chargecooler itself isnt large enough to cool the intake charge so you might need to opt for a larger one.

I would imagine between sessions the engine will sit and get very warm and you are probably saturating the heat exchange radiator. It might be an idea to fit some slim fans so that you can leave the car idling between runs with fresh air blowing across the radiator so that when it gets called into use its as cool as possible, likewise you could leave it idling before you go out on track with the fans running pulling plenty of fresh air across it.

Water injection is another option and works great, especially when inlet temperatures get high because the cooling effect is even more pronounced.
Old 05-31-2017, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by tut4u2
What were you tuned on? I was planning on using the piggyback that's included in the kit.
Tuned on FlashPro, I would not be comfortable trusting the piggyback tune on the track.
Old 05-31-2017, 03:03 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

The FVM supplied piggy back works plenty good if your running the proper psi pulley and you adjust the fuel pressure to run a proper afr, it can run all day. The bigger issue is keeping that IAT in check. 150F is too high and very likely getting some engine detonation. I am honestly surprised to hear the kit running that high on just 7psi with the upgraded racing heat exchanger. I suspect something was up and it wasn't working 100%. I got up to 150F once when my pump quit working and I was pushing a hell of a lot more pressure then 7psi, more like 17. FI is tough to cope with on the track though. Probably an FMIC is the one time it makes sense with a supercharger. Problem is you lose a lot of boost efficiency, and in order to get any to the engine you need to run a smaller pulley to offset the boost loss. That also means your spinning your charger faster, which means it produces more heat. There is an efficiency range for the blower, so if you can fall within that with the proper size pulley, it will help. With the NV1000/NV1220 its between 6-9psi. With the larger NV12000 I was running its 10psi+

Flashpro is great, your lucky.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 05-31-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
The FVM supplied piggy back works plenty good if your running the proper psi pulley and you adjust the fuel pressure to run a proper afr, it can run all day. The bigger issue is keeping that IAT in check. 150F is too high and very likely getting some engine detonation. I am honestly surprised to hear the kit running that high on just 7psi with the upgraded racing heat exchanger. I suspect something was up and it wasn't working 100%. I got up to 150F once when my pump quit working and I was pushing a hell of a lot more pressure then 7psi, more like 17. FI is tough to cope with on the track though. Probably an FMIC is the one time it makes sense with a supercharger. Problem is you lose a lot of boost efficiency, and in order to get any to the engine you need to run a smaller pulley to offset the boost loss. That also means your spinning your charger faster, which means it produces more heat. There is an efficiency range for the blower, so if you can fall within that with the proper size pulley, it will help. With the NV1000/NV1220 its between 6-9psi. With the larger NV12000 I was running its 10psi+

Flashpro is great, your lucky.
My experience here tracking in the Texas summer (ambient 95+ and track temps well above that) is that the Aftercooler works good for about 10-15 minutes into a session, then as it becomes heat soaked the IAT's start to climb and don't go down. This is with a fully functional cooling system with distilled water and water wetter.

My concern with the piggy back unit is exacly as you said, you have no control over knock/detonation control and pulling additional timing when your IAT's climb high. In my current tune I have it set very conservatively, and the car never detonates even with very high IAT's (I pull a lot of timing and sacrifice power for safety). With that being said, I will be adding an AEM Meth Kit to help control the IAT's at the track, and eventually will go with a V-Mount setup.