S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Crazy to consider a Supercharger?

Old 11-12-2016, 06:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crazy to consider a Supercharger?

Hey Guys:
Well after almost 17 years of ownership and a completely stock AP1 the modding has begun. New Ohlins DFV shocks transformed the ride. A new clutch got rid of the horrible clutch rattle. Just over 21k on this sweetie (I know, I have a lot of vehicles to ride and drive) and I'm considering a CT Supercharger (as it is CARB compliant.)
Am I crazy? Are there owners out there with reliable installs? Am I opening a can of worms that will cause me scores of reliability issues?
Thanks for your feedback.
Roadie
Old 11-12-2016, 08:45 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

I used to own a vortech SC'd s2000. I had it on for over 13 years. I loved power it made and how fast it accelerated. Cost of ownership does go up. And it will vary depends on what you do with it. Just out of box and installed by reliable mechanic will reduce cost of ownership. However, if you start modifying it - pulley, injector, fuel pump, ECU, & ETC - it can cause more headache. And again, if it is done right by mechanic, cost can be minimal.

If you you are going to do it right, I'd say go for it but in your case with original year with only 21K, I'd say you are crazy. Keep it as stock as possible and clean as possible. It will keep better value and not worth investing about 5K or more.
Old 11-12-2016, 08:55 AM

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Your crazy for having a s2000 for that long and not boosting it. Once a s2000 is boosted it really becomes the perfect car. The biggest weakness of this car is how slow and under power it is stock.

Last edited by riceball777; 11-12-2016 at 12:01 PM.
Old 11-13-2016, 08:00 AM

Received 187 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Roadie
Hey Guys:
Well after almost 17 years of ownership and a completely stock AP1 the modding has begun. New Ohlins DFV shocks transformed the ride. A new clutch got rid of the horrible clutch rattle. Just over 21k on this sweetie (I know, I have a lot of vehicles to ride and drive) and I'm considering a CT Supercharger (as it is CARB compliant.)
Am I crazy? Are there owners out there with reliable installs? Am I opening a can of worms that will cause me scores of reliability issues?
Thanks for your feedback.
Roadie
I own a Vortech SC'd AP1. 2001 model all original except for AP2 rims and the bolt on supercharger. Very reliable setup. The only drawback is belt slip. If you use the kit provided by Vortech you shouldn't have any issues. I have a 4" maybe slightly larger pulley and it's making 8psi boost. Could go considerably higher if I wanted but it makes great power already and the speed is immense (around 380HP). I need to get the ECU retuned soon. I am also going to fit a better exhaust system. That will increase power too.
I say go for it! It makes a very fast car much faster
Old 11-13-2016, 12:14 PM

Crazy? No, a CT S/C is just what the S needs without being to high risk for issues
Old 11-15-2016, 06:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies everyone! Still on the fence.

Anyone know of a good tuner in Northern California?
Old 11-15-2016, 07:09 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Only 21k miles in 17 years?? You are crazy!
Old 11-15-2016, 08:10 AM

Received 1,134 Likes on 997 Posts

Supercharger is easy to restore to OEM condition for that collector 20 years from now. Assuming you don't wreck the car before then.

These projects can be a cash pit. I think $5,000 is a low estimate, the tune alone will probably be close to $2,000 once you include the cost of the aftermarket ECU and the dyno time.

-- Chuck
Old 11-15-2016, 09:23 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Supercharger is easy to restore to OEM condition for that collector 20 years from now. Assuming you don't wreck the car before then.

These projects can be a cash pit. I think $5,000 is a low estimate, the tune alone will probably be close to $2,000 once you include the cost of the aftermarket ECU and the dyno time.

-- Chuck
The base kit negates this as a factor.
Plenty of Comptech 6psi rising rate fuel pressure "tuned" kits that have been on the car for 100k+ miles in my local club which guys have put on in a weekend and street tuned themselves with a wideband. Just depends what level you want to take it. from the sounds of it, the OP is just looking for a basic stage 1 set up. The CT-Engineeing (revised Comptech) has improved tuning measures with their base 6psi kit, which still utilizes the stock injectors with rising rate fuel regulator, but now includes a pnp non programmable piggy back which incorporates the old splice in ESM/map correction, but lowers vtec and shapes the fuel curve, so they have essentially taken what we used to do with these kits back in the day with incorporating a vafc to program in a lower vtec and trim the less desirable rich areas of the tune the rrfpr made pronounced, and did it all for you in a easy plug in and go.

If going with a base kit and relying on the rrfpr to tune fuel, I would steer away from the Vortech kit, as there rrfpr was not externally adjustable and ran notoriously lean, there was also some fussy issues with their old black box that played with timing correction, which created a lot of disappointment and headaches for many that decided this over the Comptech/CT-Engineering counterpart. SOS makes a terrific base kit utilizing the same equipment/features as the CT, but its not smog legal.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 11-15-2016 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11-16-2016, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Chuck S

-- Chuck
Your numbers are way off.... CT kits can range from 2.5k used to 4.7k new, with tuning ranging from $300-500 if you use the provided unit with the kit

Quick Reply: Crazy to consider a Supercharger?