S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Crazy to consider a Supercharger?

Old 11-16-2016, 07:03 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I know this is a unpopular opinion but spending $5000 for CARB legal small horsepower supercharger setup is insane on a low mileage car. Eventually a S with 310 horsepower just becomes normal. It is not a game changer. It is the car mod equivalent to a using a boob job to solve a broken relationship.

I suggest staying stock and enjoying the car, committing to the negatives of turboing/SCing to 450+, or selling it while it is valuable and get a C5 Z06 for $19k and maintaining CARB compliance, have more power, and tons of reliability.
Old 11-16-2016, 07:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great Advice. Thanks everyone.

I have really been enjoying my car since the clutch was replaced. Rock solid reliability is paramount.

I'm going to keep that sweet AP1 engine stock.

Thanks for all of the input guys!
Old 11-17-2016, 04:36 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just do not get caught with more power, more power. Basic kit and it does not turn into a money pit.
Old 11-17-2016, 04:55 PM

Received 1,138 Likes on 1,001 Posts

Dyno time and tuning must be cheap somewhere else.

Labor? Or are we considering this will be free?

-- Chuck
Old 11-17-2016, 05:18 PM

Received 352 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
The base kit negates this as a factor.
Plenty of Comptech 6psi rising rate fuel pressure "tuned" kits that have been on the car for 100k+ miles in my local club which guys have put on in a weekend and street tuned themselves with a wideband. Just depends what level you want to take it. from the sounds of it, the OP is just looking for a basic stage 1 set up. The CT-Engineeing (revised Comptech) has improved tuning measures with their base 6psi kit, which still utilizes the stock injectors with rising rate fuel regulator, but now includes a pnp non programmable piggy back which incorporates the old splice in ESM/map correction, but lowers vtec and shapes the fuel curve, so they have essentially taken what we used to do with these kits back in the day with incorporating a vafc to program in a lower vtec and trim the less desirable rich areas of the tune the rrfpr made pronounced, and did it all for you in a easy plug in and go.

If going with a base kit and relying on the rrfpr to tune fuel, I would steer away from the Vortech kit, as there rrfpr was not externally adjustable and ran notoriously lean, there was also some fussy issues with their old black box that played with timing correction, which created a lot of disappointment and headaches for many that decided this over the Comptech/CT-Engineering counterpart. SOS makes a terrific base kit utilizing the same equipment/features as the CT, but its not smog legal.
What he said.
Old 11-19-2016, 05:38 AM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S

-- Chuck
To educate you, dyno tuning ranges from $300-500, pending on who and what you're tuning for. Labor is included on my price ranges. Those prices are accurate as I have ACTUALLY had it DONE and speaking from EXPERIENCE.
Old 11-29-2016, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Chuck S

-- Chuck
If you have average skills you can install the supercharger yourself in a weekend. For the basic kit you can get a reflash from SOS but I would prefer a dyno tune. The tune should be a one time deal(from some one who has been tuned six times). $300 to $500 is a good range. Tuning can get expensive if you continue to make changes chasing that more power monkey.
Old 11-30-2016, 10:25 AM
Jtt

I'm in the same boat. Currently piecing together a supercharger setup for my 02 AP1 leveraging a vortech v2 I picked up used. I'm aiming for about 350-400 WHP in a, track reliable (ha!) FI setup.. What has been taking a bit of my time / $$$ is figuring out the ECU, tuning solutions (talking to Jei @ Blactrax) and any other upgrades I should do along the way.

If I had to do it again, I would prolly pick up a used CT setup (there is a guy in socal selling a full kit for $4500 btw) that does a reliable, bolt on setup that doesn't require additional tuning.
Old 11-30-2016, 11:08 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

A base/stage 1 6psi kit does not require "dyno tuning" It requires you to have a wideband and manually adjust the fuel pressure to get a proper/safe amount of fuel. The SOS/Comptech have instruction to set up the fuel pressure calibration at home without even a wideband, but that is based around a bone stock catted s2000, and most have at least a TP which warrants those directions incorrect, so a widenad for street tuning is highly recommended. But its easy and was the whole point in developing a stage 1 kit, for the DIY guy to install and run from his garage, trouble free and reliably. Many have done it. These kits have been around as long as the S2k along with some revisions depending on the company. Going used can present some issues if the seller is not 100% up front and you are not educated enough on what to look for if the kit is complete for the stage your expecting to run.

If your going to move into a Stage 2/ more boost then what the stock injectors and rrfpr can supply, then your looking at tuning cost along with a tunable ECU and injectors. Its a whole different set of standards.
The following users liked this post:
Gogs376 (12-06-2018)
Old 11-30-2016, 03:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey all,

Can a comptech SC be added to an AP1 without needing stand alone engine management and still be reliable? How exactly does the tuning from comp tech work without a stand alone engine management system? Does comptech reflash your stock ECU?

Last edited by klapamos; 11-30-2016 at 04:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Crazy to consider a Supercharger?