S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

ECT Too High

Old 08-28-2017, 09:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey everyone!

sorry for the late update but we are battling hurricane harvey down here in Houston. Fortunately we are still dry.

in between the 25+ inches of rainfall I was able to get out and fab up some makeshift vmount brackets for the oil cooler. I was able to get everything bolted in and while theres a little overlap between the oil cooler and heat exchanger, i am happy with the setup.

However, while i was doing this exercise I noticed that my water pump for the hear exchanger has failed/is failing. Before it would move the water very forcefully through the aftercooler, now it is a slow trickle. Also, it was very audible before with accessory power on, now, it is quiet. My IATs were higher than normal (140-150) but i chocked it to high ambient and high engine bay temps. Now i am considering that as an additional contributing factor to ect and oil temps. I ordered a new cobra unit and will be installing before putting the bumper back on. I am also kicking around the idea of getting a duct for the bumper, i always liked the look of the kings duct. I also need to do additional shielding for the intake. I

While i wait, i may go ahead and wrap the header as well. As soon as this hurricane blows through and the parts are delivered, i will update with some
hard data!

Old 08-28-2017, 11:41 AM

Received 56 Likes on 44 Posts

Glad to hear you are staying mostly dry with all the Harvey mess, I know many down there haven't been as lucky.

The new mount should definitely help, and if the water in your heat exchanger was heating up quickly due to a bad pump, the air flowing through it would have been even warmer and would certainly contribute to the issue with your radiator/coolant temps as well. Look forward to see what results you get.
Old 08-28-2017, 04:12 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Cery cool, nice job on the setup. Glad your ok!
Old 08-28-2017, 07:01 PM

Received 70 Likes on 56 Posts

A have a bunch of friends around Houston, fortunately everyone is safe. Kids getting a bit stir crazy though. Stay dry!

While you have the opportunity, I'd get a fin straightener and clean up the fins on the heat exchanger. It looks like about 20%-25% of the fins are bent which could be a significant source of your cooling issues.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:21 PM

Make sure to check your radiator hose clams..... I was having heating problems and ended up 1 hose clamp wasn't staying tight.

I just got a 13in Spal fan (175 dollar one) too as I thought that was my problem.... it moves a tone of air and I would think it would definitely help. 2 13 inch fans would be perfect.
Also....does only 1 fan run your ac and 1 fan handles ect's???? Both of my fans turn on At the same time rather it's for cooling or for the ac!
Old 08-29-2017, 07:22 PM

What are you seeing for intake temps since that was in front of your oil cooler???
Old 09-07-2017, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by spdracerut
A have a bunch of friends around Houston, fortunately everyone is safe. Kids getting a bit stir crazy though. Stay dry!

While you have the opportunity, I'd get a fin straightener and clean up the fins on the heat exchanger. It looks like about 20%-25% of the fins are bent which could be a significant source of your cooling issues.
Good point, i will do that before i put the bumper on. I hear it's a little bit of a PITA but if it means more efficiency so be it.

Originally Posted by volcomboy390
Make sure to check your radiator hose clams..... I was having heating problems and ended up 1 hose clamp wasn't staying tight.

I just got a 13in Spal fan (175 dollar one) too as I thought that was my problem.... it moves a tone of air and I would think it would definitely help. 2 13 inch fans would be perfect.
Also....does only 1 fan run your ac and 1 fan handles ect's???? Both of my fans turn on At the same time rather it's for cooling or for the ac!
Originally Posted by volcomboy390
What are you seeing for intake temps since that was in front of your oil cooler???
What type of radiator hose clamps were you using? I am using the OEM ones when i installed the radiator I had leaking from the lower hose. I took it back off and re-aligned it and no more leaking. Correct me if im wrong but if the OEM ones are not seated and air can get in, then shouldn't water be able to get out? (Especially when the system is hot and under pressure/running).

My IATs were about 140-160ish when i was doing my testing. At the time i chalked it up to 100F ambient and heat soak under the hood. However, i realize now that those temps could absolutely have impacted everything behind it as almost all of the air going into the bumper opening had to pass through there and was heated up even more than ambient.
Old 09-08-2017, 10:13 PM

I was using t clamps that looked liked they worked but actually were bottomed out and not allowing the system to stay pressurized. With out pressure ur water boils quicker. I could smell coolant but couldn't find the spot for some time.

I would suggest 1 or 2 Spal fans heavy duty or the extreme ones,
make a cold air intake (4in).... haven't made mine yet, waiting for parts to arrive.
add some water wetter to your coolant and aftercooler

my intake temps are around 120-130 in 100+* heat, the fans do turn on often in that heat but the mishimoto/Spal fan combo handles it no problem. It will even drop intake temps when the fans click on.
Old 09-09-2017, 01:14 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

I'd get a radiator comb off Amazon. Think of it like this. You are trying to force as much air as possible through these vents/ribs. You are doing all these little things with blocking air escaping around the edges, etc.

Yet, a huge percetage of the ribs are bent and blocking airflow. Every little bit helps.

https://www.amazon.com/SUPCO-FCR6-Heating-Fin-Comb/dp/B004XS1SHY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1504948267&sr=8-2&keywords=radiator+comb https://www.amazon.com/SUPCO-FCR6-Heating-Fin-Comb/dp/B004XS1SHY/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1504948267&sr=8-2&keywords=radiator+comb

Also, would a Derale oil cooler work? You could literally put it anywhere.

https://derale.com/products/fluid-co...8an-744-detail

Last edited by davidc1; 09-09-2017 at 01:20 AM.