S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Engine running hotter than normal

Old 04-06-2018, 09:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just checked my aftercooler, and first thing I saw is the ‘water’ looked pretty murky and brown, It is my understanding that they used water wetter last time they filled it up. The next thing I found is that the water pump seems to not be working, I first checked it just with the switch on ‘on’ and didn’t see any movement, and then turned the ignition on and found the only movement in the water to be from the engine’s vibrations, I still need to remove my left fender and see what the waterpump itself looks like.

Old 04-06-2018, 09:34 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by calerouxz
I just checked my aftercooler, and first thing I saw is the ‘water’ looked pretty murky and brown, It is my understanding that they used water wetter last time they filled it up. The next thing I found is that the water pump seems to not be working, I first checked it just with the switch on ‘on’ and didn’t see any movement, and then turned the ignition on and found the only movement in the water to be from the engine’s vibrations, I still need to remove my left fender and see what the waterpump itself looks like.

Based on the color id say redline water wetter was used. And it looks a bit on the low level side, but doesn't matter since it sounds like your pump isn't coming on or you have a kinked line. I think we figured out the source of your problem. If not, you have two different issues, and a non working aftercooler on a supercharger is a big one. Keep us posted.
Old 04-06-2018, 02:40 PM

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Does water wetter stop corrosion? I would defo check the pump because if its been on the car since 2006 then chances are its knackered. Sounds like it all needs a good inspection and service. Flush it out so its got clean fluid in it and then add some antifreeze or whatever other coolant will prevent corrosion but also allow good heat transfer.

I would also get some good photos of your normal engine coolant radiator because if thats an original that will also be coming to the end of its life. I opted for a Koyo which cost a few quid but sorted all of my coolant issues caused by the radiator i had and the huge intercooler blocking the airflow.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:15 AM

Originally Posted by markforrester99
Does water wetter stop corrosion? I would defo check the pump because if its been on the car since 2006 then chances are its knackered. Sounds like it all needs a good inspection and service. Flush it out so its got clean fluid in it and then add some antifreeze or whatever other coolant will prevent corrosion but also allow good heat transfer.

I would also get some good photos of your normal engine coolant radiator because if thats an original that will also be coming to the end of its life. I opted for a Koyo which cost a few quid but sorted all of my coolant issues caused by the radiator i had and the huge intercooler blocking the airflow.
Yeah, the water pump might be very well done, haven’t yet gone under the car to confirm though. If I do have to get a new water pump, anyone know which one I should get? I might as well flush all the fluid at some point and just put in honda’s own coolant instead of using water wetter. My regular engine cooling rad is alright, it’s got pretty much new fluid in, so I’m not currently worrying about it.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:25 AM
Community Organizer

and just put in honda’s own coolant instead of using water wetter.
No, I advise against this. You will reduce the effectiveness of your after cooler. Coolant is meant to keep water from freezing. All water works better at extracting heat, but is not needed or advisable in an engine cooling system due to the broad weather conditions its under as well as having cooling fans to aid. Water wetter actually raises the boiling point and increases the cooling performance of the system, so there is good reason why water wetter is supposed to be used in the after cooler system. Any local parts store will have a water wetter, either redline or other brand, either is fine to use.

Make sure when you get to the refilling stage that you replace with the correct ratio of water wetter to water. Its been a long time since ive looked up the spec but believe its 50/50, you should look up to verify, and as mentioned make sure you fill to the proper level. Right now you look a bit low as I can see the heat exchanger riffles, which should be submerged. Should fill about 1.5" from the top. About half your pinky finger should be wet sticking it down the hole. That's what she said

Last edited by s2000Junky; 04-08-2018 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-08-2018, 11:39 AM
Community Organizer

Yeah, the water pump might be very well done, haven’t yet gone under the car to confirm though. If I do have to get a new water pump, anyone know which one I should get?
These pumps are rated for a particular flow rate and should be matched to the size of your heat exchanger. Cobra pump is a typical one used for the larger racing heat exchnager to push the volume of water needed in that size exchanger, but you have the stock small one looks like so I would stay with something close to that, maybe slightly higher capacity is ok but only slightly. If the pump pushes too had for your little exchanger, the water will flow too fast and not have as long a duration in the heat exchanger to get cooled effectively, so there is a proper rate range, dont deviate too far form that. Id look up what pump you have on Amazon see if you can order another as it will be cheaper then going through Comptech.

Welcome
Old 04-08-2018, 02:22 PM

So, I just had a look under the bumper, and didn’t find anything particularly wrong (other than a good amount of dirt...). The hoses don’t seem pinched/damaged, so I’m going to assume it’s still something electrical or the pump itself.

Old 04-08-2018, 07:29 PM
Community Organizer

It could also be a blown fuse or that relay, which is the small black box looking thing with the 4 wires plugged into it. Those are a less then $5 part at radio shack. Check for any blown fuses tied to that power circuit for that pump first off if you have already established that you hear no noise/not working. You should be able to turn on the ignition and confirm your getting voltage to the pump though, if your savvy with a basic meter. Shouldn't have to randomly start replacing things.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:36 AM

Update: I just swapped relays and checked all my wires, they appear to be alright, I might double check them again later today. As I'm preparing to order a new pump, (and I might as well, even if it isn't bad, as I hate waiting for parts to arrive after their inevitable doom), would anyone know the water pump I'm supposed to be getting? I wouldn't want to order from CT as I know that can get very expensive, I know my pump is Jabsco, but I don't know which one it should be, or if I can get another one with similar ratings like a Bosch.
Old 04-19-2018, 08:10 AM
Community Organizer

See if you can find an identifier like the gpm on the existing pump, or serial number.

Quick Reply: Engine running hotter than normal