S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

extremely high idle

Old 10-25-2011, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default extremely high idle

hey everyone,

i just finished installing my new skunk2 70mm throttle body. everything is hooked back up and hooked up correctly. once i went to start my car, from a cold start, my idle was at about 3,100rpm. not sure why, but i didnt leave it on long enough to warm up cuz i wasnt sure if something was actaully wrong. i thought about readjusting my throttle cable, because i had to tighten it. there was to much slack after the install. maybe i should losen it, do you think the TB is partially open more than it should be? any and all advice is welcome. thanks all.

tim
Old 10-25-2011, 05:44 PM

It could possibly be too tight. It also could be an idle set screw put in too far. Or it could be that the throttle body is much larger now and needs to relearn proper idle.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:44 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

do you have a vacuum gauge? Check to see what vacuum you get. More than likely you have a vacuum leak, but it could also be a misaligned TPS sensor. Check to see if you put the TB gasket the wrong way around or the butterfly stop bolt isn't adjusted correctly.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:58 PM

ok, so hears what i did. now before yall make fun of me lol, there is going to be a dumb question at the end of this. i tightened the cable up to where there is no slack. the more i think about it, i need slack in the cable because once you start it, its going to open the TB up more, right? so do i just keep messing with it untill i get the proper idle? what is ideal for a cold start on an AP1?

i dont have a vacuum gauge so no luck there, but i just double checked to make sure all my lines were hooked up and they are. as far as the gasket goes, it is on there correct as well. after this change in the cable tightness, im just going to have to assume that it is that the sensor isnt used to a bigger throttle body. ill let yall know how i fare. thanks for the help
Old 10-25-2011, 06:02 PM

The throttle cable needs a little slack, but not sagging. if you tighten it too far the throttle plate will open quite a bit...haha. Loosen a little and it should be ok.
Old 10-25-2011, 07:10 PM

alrighty then. i give up for the night. i had my roomate go out there with me, he looked over everything, and he cant even find anything that is wrong. i started it up one more time after adjusting the cable again, now with a little slack, but not hanging down, and he watched the cable as it cranked over. it didnt pull at all. i was afraid of hitting the gas that for some reason it wouldnt stop revving, so im not sure about that. but once again, all my gaskets are good, new ones went on when i changed it out, all lines hooked up, all couplings secured, all clamps clamped. i head to work in the morning but wont be doing anything all day, so im going to tinker with it some more then. ill try to put updates if anything happens. thanks again for the help everyone
Old 10-25-2011, 08:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Adjust TPS sensor?
Old 10-26-2011, 04:22 AM

ok, update time. i made it to work safely this morning, but had to pretty much ride the brakes the entire time here. it dosent sound like im pulling air from anything but the intake, but it is louder. also, would this make the exhaust a bit more loud cuz it def was lol. if i get some free time today, or just after i get out of work, im going to leave the TB all hooked up, just take the TPS off, and see if that is the issue. please correct me if im worng but, if i start it without it attached, it should continue to do whats its doing right? and that will tell me if its the TPS. if it is that, take everything off, and re put on the sensor. should i try anything else?
Old 10-26-2011, 06:21 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First, try adjusting the idle screw on the throttle body if yours has one. Here's a link to a thread with pics:

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/854...l__adjust+idle

Second, if your new TB has a different design than the OEM one, it's possible that your throttle position sensor (TPS) needs to be recalibrated so that it knows what position corresponds to what readings. If you have an aftermarket EMS like AEM, that's easy to do in the software.