S2000 Naturally Aspirated Forum Discussions about N/A motor projects, builds and technology.

extreamly high idol...

Old 10-25-2011, 05:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default extreamly high idol...

hey everyone,

i just finished installing my new skunk2 70mm throttle body. everything is hooked back up and hooked up correctly. once i went to start my car, from a cold start, my idle was at about 3,100rpm. not sure why, but i didnt leave it on long enough to warm up cuz i wasnt sure if something was actaully wrong. i thought about readjusting my throttle cable, because i had to tighten it. there was to much slack after the install. maybe i should losen it, do you think the TB is partially open more than it should be? any and all advice is welcome. thanks all.

tim
Old 10-25-2011, 08:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Put it back on and let it warm up. Then try adjusting the idle screw. Do the skunk2 throttles have a stop for the throttle plate? If so, then it might not allow it to close all the way. Those are my 2 queses.
Old 10-26-2011, 04:45 AM

i drove it to work this morning, couldnt fix the problem last night. still idleing very very high. the TB does have a set screw, but i backed it off completely and still same problem. tightened it up more, same problem. going to take the TPS off and start it up, if thats the problem, it will continue to do the same thing. if its not it, it will continue to rev till i cut it off (tps not being the problem). if anyone, ANYONE has any info on what i can or should do, please let me know. thanks again yall
Old 10-26-2011, 05:08 AM

you took the TB off,meaning you also removed the tps, i would try resetting the ecu and let it relearn the new set up, let the car warm up be for you do so, so that the ecu relearns at normal driveing temp, and not cold start.
Old 10-26-2011, 05:18 AM

AAAAHHHHHH, gotcha. i remember doing that when i put the 70mm exhaust on, as well as the intake. put those on at same time and my CEL came on. reset the ecu, and CEL went away, as well as a slightly higher idle. then, it was only like 300 or so higher than normal. but good idea. thanks so much. will do that at lunch!!
Old 10-26-2011, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by americansailor89
AAAAHHHHHH, gotcha. i remember doing that when i put the 70mm exhaust on, as well as the intake. put those on at same time and my CEL came on. reset the ecu, and CEL went away, as well as a slightly higher idle. then, it was only like 300 or so higher than normal. but good idea. thanks so much. will do that at lunch!!

Old 10-26-2011, 06:17 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

You always need to have some slack in the throttle cable.
Old 10-26-2011, 06:18 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

If you add slack to the cable, and that still doesn't fix it, then try covering the TB with your hand to see if you can make it stall. If you can't make it stall, then you have a vacuum leak.
Old 10-26-2011, 09:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you removed the TPS from the throttle body you will need to make sure it is reading the correct voltage. if it is not, it will read that the throttle is partially opena and add more fuel than is necessary (causing high idle/undesirable performance).

I dont remember if the S2000's TPS is adjustable (but I dont think it is), if it is you will have to loosen and turn it once you get the throttle cable properly adjusted. you will turn it until it reads the proper voltage (less than .5 volts closed). You can check this with a multimeter at the wires going into the TPS connector (unless you have a HDS at which point I will poke you in the eye and run away with it) or Flashpro/KPro/AEM.

Originally Posted by Honda
"Make sure the accelerator pedal is not pressed, then check the TP SENSOR voltage in HDS. If it is below 0.5 V, the throttle position sensor is OK... If it is above 0.5 V, adjust the throttle cable... *repeat* If it is above 0.5 V, substitute a known-good ECM... *repeat* If it is above 0.5 V, replace the throttle body"
Adjusting the throttle cable: when the throttle is closed there should be 4-6mm of movement between the throttle cable bracket and the throttle plate. if there is not loosen the adjuster nuts on the throttle cable bracket and adjust until there is. DO NOT ADJUST THE STOPPER FOR THE THROTTLE PLATE. The manufacturer of your throttle body should have adjusted it to where it sits properly closed and wont stick. Honda states that the bolt on the oem throttle body should never be adjusted, and if it is required replace the throttle body instead.

Originally Posted by Honda
"Check the cable free play (A) at the throttle linkage. It should be 4-6 mm (0.2-0.3 in.)... With the cable properly adjusted, check the throttle valve to be sure it opens fully when you push the accelerator pedal to the floor. Also check the throttle valve to be sure it returns to the idle position whenever you release the accelerator pedal.
Old 10-26-2011, 10:44 AM
Community Organizer

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I just put this exact one on my car. You need to verify the TPS voltage. I measured ohms and got .660. I actually had to remove the metal rings out of the bolt holes on the TPS sensor to get it to the right spot. PM if you need help on this.