S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Fuel Pump Wiring Question

Old 04-02-2010, 08:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fuel Pump Wiring Question

I haven't seen a diagram, so I took this picture...

I am "assuming the thicker yellow wire (2nd one from left) is the Positive wire.

There is also 2 black wires, which one is the ground?

Picture for reference.

Thanks guys.

Btw, I'm using 10ga for the relay and BAP, I'm assuming that should be plenty...which I really don't understand the 10ga going into the 16g wire (Im guessing on size, but it's small by comparison) on the fuel pump wire, lol.

Seems like it defeats the purpose..
Old 04-03-2010, 12:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both? One ground for pump and one for fuel level? Just a guess, haven´t seen the assembly.
Old 04-03-2010, 12:41 AM

Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts

You only need to use the ground from the fuel level sensor and can cap off the other ground. One of the yellow wires goes to the fuel level sensor and the other you will use to switch the relay on, thats all the other yellow factory wire will be used for. I cant remember which is which but if you look at how the plug plugs in, you can trace back which one is which.
Old 04-03-2010, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by Spoolin,Apr 3 2010, 12:41 AM
You only need to use the ground from the fuel level sensor and can cap off the other ground. One of the yellow wires goes to the fuel level sensor and the other you will use to switch the relay on, thats all the other yellow factory wire will be used for. I cant remember which is which but if you look at how the plug plugs in, you can trace back which one is which.
Well it says cut the power wire. Take the end that isn't connected to the plug and run that into the relay to switch it on. Then take the plug end and connect that to 10ga from the relay for power. Just seems funny to see a 10g wire connecting to a tiny wire. Seems like it wouldn't be as effective.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:51 AM

Oh, I see what youre saying. Yeah, you will want to use the power cable/plug that came with the Walbro pump and ditch the stock wiring all together for it after the relay. Going from the 10 ga wire down to that 18 or 20 ga stock wire back to the pump from the relay will choke the power down and defeat the purpose. You do have that plug/wire assembly that came with the Walbro dont you? If not, I have an extra.
Old 04-03-2010, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Spoolin,Apr 3 2010, 07:51 AM
Oh, I see what youre saying. Yeah, you will want to use the power cable/plug that came with the Walbro pump and ditch the stock wiring all together for it after the relay. Going from the 10 ga wire down to that 18 or 20 ga stock wire back to the pump from the relay will choke the power down and defeat the purpose. You do have that plug/wire assembly that came with the Walbro dont you? If not, I have an extra.
Now I'm lost lol. All I got from Tony when I bought my pump was the pump iirc. So to answer your question no I don't have anything else. The pump fits on the stock plastc hanger assembly and fits down inside the tank and then the stock plug connects to it.

??
Old 04-03-2010, 12:44 PM

I drew a couple of diagrams, check them out here.
Hope these help, just make sure you check your connections with a multimeter or at least a voltage tester. You should get into the habit of testing each wire for voltage. Always good to know what source each wire is. If you tap into the yellow/green wire and you turn on the ignition, you would see +12v for about a second, then it will drop to 0v until you crank the engine. That is a safety feature in all vehicles. Allows for the pump to shut off if the engine is not running.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showt...post&p=16368692
Old 04-03-2010, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by siadam,Apr 3 2010, 01:18 PM
Now I'm lost lol. All I got from Tony when I bought my pump was the pump iirc. So to answer your question no I don't have anything else. The pump fits on the stock plastc hanger assembly and fits down inside the tank and then the stock plug connects to it.

??
Sorry. LOL

Your Walbro pump should have come with this plug harness. I believe it's 12ga wires and is what you will want to do to get the maximum benifits of wiring the relay up from the battery source for more voltage.

I didnt use it when I first bought my Walbro pump way back because I plugged it into my stock wire harness as you described with my old setup but you can have it if you want to use it. Just pay the shiiping of about $10 and it's yours. Or, you may be able to get ahold of Tony and see if he will just ship you one for free but I do believe you will want to do it this way.
Old 04-03-2010, 03:35 PM

EngineerX, the diagram helps, and is basically what I have drawn up in my mind, lol.

Nice to see it on paper though, thanks.

Spoolin,

Name:  FUEL-PUMP-REWIRE-BAPs.jpg
Views: 20996
Size:  67.0 KB

Where it shows from relay to Fuel Pump +12v, thats my hangup. The fuel pump wire in the picture I showed above is small gauge wire.

How is that plug going to help me? The fuel pump assembly "carrier" is enclosed in the tank, I'd have to drill out the top of it, to run a wire down to where the pump is and splice it, no?

Thats what confuses me.

Old 04-03-2010, 06:56 PM

The OEM yel/grn pump wire may be good enough.A 18-gauge wire will handle up to 16A, more than enough for what a Walbro draws. Amperage capacity it's what you need to worry about in a wire. The pump will still see the higher voltage with the BAP and the OEM wire should support the amperage (current) that the Walbro needs. If you were to use dual pumps or a Bosch 044, then for sure you would need to change the wire to a thicker gauge. Give it a try, and if you notice the pump is not flowing as needed, then change the OEM wire.

To change the wire, I would guess you do have to drill out the pin and guide in the larger wire. You'd have to seal it well, JB Weld may do the trick.

Walbro pumps draw about 10.5A @ 75psi (~ 20psi boost on a turbo)

These are some charts I found online
Name:  WIREGAUGEAMPACITY.jpg
Views: 5570
Size:  170.3 KB

Name:  Walbrocurrent.jpg
Views: 2296
Size:  58.6 KB

Quick Reply: Fuel Pump Wiring Question