S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Greddy Turbo Kit vs InlinePro Turbo Kit?

Old 01-24-2008, 07:02 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Plov - your point is quite valid, but I bet after you install the Greddy you'll drive it for a month and say to yourself, man, this car will be perfect with about 80 more whp.

Also, it helps not to be so critical of others choices. I have a custom kit based on LoveFab's V1 manifold and a GT3071. I would swear this is an ideal turbo for this car and it has plenty of scope for improvement.
Old 01-24-2008, 08:09 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

plokivos, Some people don't want their turbo to spool at 2k rpms....

I rather get some DD without sucking through the worlds gasoline supply becuase my turbo spools at basically idle
Old 01-24-2008, 08:10 PM

Received 95 Likes on 64 Posts

Like plokivos said, it really depends on what you want/like to do w/ the car, drag or autox/RR. Almost everytime there is a thread of someone asking what turbo kit they should get, someone always says, you'll get used to the power and always want more. If you are a drag racer, or just like to go fast in a straight line (and street race a lot) you will probably get greedy and want more power once you start loosing to cars.

For me, and a lot of other people, 300 whp is MORE than enough. AutoX and RR require more skill and car setup than power. For whoever is shopping around for a turbo kit, decide what kind of driver you are, then buy the kit that suits you. If you are the kind of person that hates loosing at a stoplight race, on the drag strip, or down the highway, then you are probably the kind of person that will continuously want more and more power.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:20 AM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Spec_Ops2087,Jan 25 2008, 03:09 PM
plokivos, Some people don't want their turbo to spool at 2k rpms....
Hmm, I disagree with this. You control the power and boost with your foot not your stop watch.
Old 01-25-2008, 05:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ah yes, more slams to the Greddy kit - why all the Greddy hatin' ?

* $3900
* OBDII compliant
* CARB legal
* It's fully spooled at 3900 rpms, not 2K
* You can easily drive all day long at any speed without going into boost
* Not a re-flash, so you are not stuck with a fixed tune

With the base tune, std boost, and OEM cat, the power is nice. The kit fills in low/mid range power that the F20C lacks. This is where it really shines, much better than centrifugal SC IMO- which I did not care for (I almost went with BRP).
Since more is always better, I added an AEM boost controller, Berk high flow cat, and did minor touch-ups to the timing and fuel - puts me at $4,325.

Granted, I need to get dyno'd to see where the car is at - but the power is more than enough for this little car - NO WAY do I want or need more - speaking here from a long line of fast cars. I'm not out to kill Z06's.
Old 01-25-2008, 06:33 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

2 questions for you. First did you have any issues with the base tune that came with the kit? A lot of people seem to be having issues with it, especially if you don't have a stock cat.

Second, how did you do "minor touch-ups" to the timing and fuel? The map is locked, and if you get it unlocked by having your tuner call Greddy, then you have to start from scratch.

So lets say $3900 for kit, $200 for aem boost (cheapest brand new I saw online) and $250 for the Berk high flow cat (from their site). That puts you are $4350 which is above what you posted.

So then I guess we'll have to assume that you re-tuned the kit from scratch by yourself?
Old 01-25-2008, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by AssassinJN,Jan 25 2008, 07:33 AM
2 questions for you. First did you have any issues with the base tune that came with the kit? A lot of people seem to be having issues with it, especially if you don't have a stock cat.

Second, how did you do "minor touch-ups" to the timing and fuel? The map is locked, and if you get it unlocked by having your tuner call Greddy, then you have to start from scratch.

So lets say $3900 for kit, $200 for aem boost (cheapest brand new I saw online) and $250 for the Berk high flow car (from their site). That puts you are $4350 which is above what you posted.

So then I guess we'll have to assume that you re-tuned the kit from scratch by yourself?
You get a copy of the base tune, and once you load it from your PC to the E-Manage ULT, it essentially erases the locked pre-loaded base tune. All parameters, timing & injector maps are already set up. After that you can edit the tune real-time in the ULT or you can make new tunes on your PC w/o being connected to the ULT. You just copy via "save as". You can download to the ULT any time, just need a USB cable.

I didn't have any problems with the base tune with the stock cat or the Berk high flow cat. Here's some history:
1. Ran the base tune that came with the kit at the standard ~7psi boost and at 10psi with both cats - no issues at all.
2. Ran the base tune that Karno gave me (for comparison), ran fine.
3. Ran the re-tune that Karno got, also ran fine, although that tune was almost identical to the base tune.
4. Added 2 degrees timing to the base tune.
5. Trimmed 10% injector duty in the high zones, essentially scaled back some spots proportianately. AFR is fine, 10.5 - 11.2 throughout boost, so still some fine tuning to be done here I'd say, but still not bad right now.
Disclaimer : *Plan to get your car dyno tuned, Its cheap insurance*
I was sure I would need to port the wastgate to run 10psi with the high-flow cat, but I didn't. Looking at the turbo pictures someone posted recently, you can see that the WG is large already.
Cost= $3900+$200+$225: I paid $225 for the Berk high-flow cat, not $250.
Old 01-25-2008, 12:59 PM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by AusS2000,Jan 25 2008, 05:20 AM
Hmm, I disagree with this. You control the power and boost with your foot not your stop watch.
Yes but with a smaller turbo comes less TP required to "initiate" boost.
Old 01-25-2008, 01:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry

Wait a sec...........you guys are telling me that with my cat-back Spugen Exhaust, High-flow Cat, and the Greddy Turbo kit I will still lose to E46's and the newer 335i's................?

Also, Can I get the Greddy EMS that comes with the system even tuned???????????? or is it as is and not re-programmable?
Old 01-25-2008, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by JoeyBalls,Jan 25 2008, 05:26 PM
Wait a sec...........you guys are telling me that with my cat-back Spugen Exhaust, High-flow Cat, and the Greddy Turbo kit I will still lose to E46's and the newer 335i's................?

Also, Can I get the Greddy EMS that comes with the system even tuned???????????? or is it as is and not re-programmable?
S2Kart just posted exactly what he did to tune the E-Manage Ultimate that comes with the kit, since he has not had the chance to get it on a dyno yet. Read that post and do a search on this site for E-Manage Ultimate tuning threads.

As far as beating the cars you mentioned, its all about weight, balance, hp to the wheels, aerodynamics and whether or not you are racing in a straight line.

I just did a quick google search and found these times for the 335i and M3.

LeftLane News real world times

335 does 5.1/13.6(0-60,1/4) and the M3 does 4.8/13.4 in a straight line. Obviously faster than a stock S2k, but you will have ~286whp in a 2800lb s2k.

Quick Reply: Greddy Turbo Kit vs InlinePro Turbo Kit?