S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Hks supercharger power lose

Old 04-10-2018, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hks supercharger power lose

so I was driving home yesterday and all of a sudden I stopped getting boost. No weird noises or pops. Belt still spins and so does the system. Just no power. Can’t even hear any whine or blow off sound anymore. I’m stumped as everything sounds good and seems to be running. Any thoughts or opinions as I’m not super knowledgeable on boost applications. Also motor seems to be a little loud at 7k rpm. Could be the extra load on it though. Was thinking of taking off the belt and putting a stock tune back in for now.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:05 AM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

If the blower is indeed still spinning but no boost is confirmed, then only thing that can be happening really is a leak, and it would have to be a big one like from a coupler blowing off.
Old 04-10-2018, 11:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pde27
so I was driving home yesterday and all of a sudden I stopped getting boost. No weird noises or pops. Belt still spins and so does the system. Just no power. Can’t even hear any whine or blow off sound anymore. I’m stumped as everything sounds good and seems to be running. Any thoughts or opinions as I’m not super knowledgeable on boost applications. Also motor seems to be a little loud at 7k rpm. Could be the extra load on it though. Was thinking of taking off the belt and putting a stock tune back in for now.
You sure the blower is turning and not just the pulley? Sounds like the two sides have gotten a divorce.

Last edited by Boosted04S2K; 04-10-2018 at 02:40 PM.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:01 PM
Community Organizer

Agreed, its suspect. Id pull the belt and spin the blower and see if its actually rotating the internal prop/assy. Rotrex blowers have a lot more going on internally with their planetary gear drive and aren't as resilient as the Novi/Vortec units. It wouldn't totally surprise me if something internally is wrong. Blown coupler off the fmic should be easy enough to verify/rule out. The BOV even in open dump isnt large enough area to overcome all the boost pressure and would still read some level of psi on gauge. Assuming you have verified you are not making any boost on your gauge. If you have not, and just going off of feel, then its still possible you are making some amount of boost and the BOV has failed/staying open, or the obvious first thing to check on a non cogged blower is that the belt isn't slipping. There is only so many reasons why you lose boost on a supercharger, and I just listed all of them. Good luck. Keep us posted.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:30 AM

Thanks for all the help. Will check over once I wake up lol. Will report back when/if I find the issue.
Old 04-11-2018, 05:37 AM

Received 119 Likes on 98 Posts

No boost would mean propeller shaft snapped... Typically from a crap BOV not opening when it should causing surge.

Compressor wheel sucked something in causing big time damage.

Key sheered off that your pulley is bolted too, and pulley just spins on the shaft, most likely tearing the shaft up more.

OR you popped a charge pipe or Weld.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:25 AM

Pulled belt off and intake pipe off. The fins aren’t spinning at all when I turn the pulley. I don’t have time to pull the unit off right now. Could I put a stockish tune back in and drive with just the belt off of the charger and the larger fuel system? It’s my only car at the moment.
Old 04-11-2018, 09:53 AM
Community Organizer

Pulled belt off and intake pipe off. The fins aren’t spinning at all when I turn the pulley. I don’t have time to pull the unit off right now. Could I put a stockish tune back in and drive with just the belt off of the charger and the larger fuel system? It’s my only car at the moment.
Yes, that's the nice thing about a supercharger. Just bypass the blower for now. Even the supercharger tune could work decent enough since its effectively a NA tune up until the boost map comes into play, so probably best to leave as is. You would need to put stock injectors back in and re calibrate/tune to those otherwise.
Old 04-11-2018, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Yes, that's the nice thing about a supercharger. Just bypass the blower for now. Even the supercharger tune could work decent enough since its effectively a NA tune up until the boost map comes into play, so probably best to leave as is. You would need to put stock injectors back in and re calibrate/tune to those otherwise.
so your saying I would only need to put the stock injectors back in if I change the tune? Or should put them back in now? Been driving carefully and under 6k it seems okay. Started to get loud and doesn’t seem right above that rpm. I could be wrong though. Been used to the power for 2yrs now. Thanks for all the help. Fun part is finding the stock components when I take the charger off. I have them somewhere just not sure where lol.
Old 04-11-2018, 11:23 AM
Community Organizer

so your saying I would only need to put the stock injectors back in if I change the tune? Or should put them back in now? Been driving carefully and under 6k it seems okay. Started to get loud and doesn’t seem right above that rpm. I could be wrong though. Been used to the power for 2yrs now. Thanks for all the help. Fun part is finding the stock components when I take the charger off. I have them somewhere just not sure where lol.

No, just leave it as is. Its going to feel worse then stock power wise because your sucking air through a supercharger /obstruction that isn't spinning, but at least its filtered air. You could bypass the charge pipe and maybe have enough room to get a stock intake tube crammed in there for now, I don't know.

But yeah, you would need to change the tune if you put the stock injectors in. Since I assume you are running larger cc injectors and a aftermarket ecu.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 04-11-2018 at 11:27 AM.

Quick Reply: Hks supercharger power lose