S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

I need help on solving 2 problems

Old 04-22-2008, 03:01 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I need help on solving 2 problems

As the title says..i have 2 thing to solve with my AEM EMS and the reason to post is that since i started working (steady job) I havent had the time to dig around this Forum or at least spend time working around my car...just have time driveing it and thats it..
I wanted to look for help first by posting than doing some digging if no help by this..
Maybe the forum experts in this area can help me pretty quick.

So to get to the point...
1. I get a Loud BOOM when i turn the key to IGN and the pump Primes (nothing to dowith the pump)...
The boom(Sort of some kind of Compression burst) is from the Engine and i suspect its from maybe the injectors primeing (spit small amout of fuel before cranking the car) and that fuel explodes and creates this boom. the boom isnt that loud when the throttle plate is closed and when i press the Throttle before i Turn the key to IGN the boom is 5 times louder and i leterarry Scared my girl 10 times and my brother 5 and inoccent people 100 times.. This happends 60-70% of the time when i turn the key to IGN and 90% when the car is Warm or hot.(ie driven) I can get a video of this and you can hear it for your self..
I havent put much tought on it by now but i want to solve it...
Probably something wrong with settings in the AEM EMS
2. When my car gets Pretty hot from few WOTs around town the car just dies when i am at a stop light and try to start from standstill.It doesnt die in idle just dies when i push on the gas and i hear the fans working and when this happends i have hard time starting it it looks like the battery is drained and it cranks 10-20 seconds i suspect that probably the fans are drawing the battery too much and when i push the throttle to move from standstill it dies.( i think the WB meter is showing LEAN when i blip it)
The battery is NEW and its a pretty big Optima RED TOP i managed to put a bigger battery in the Battery compartment..maybe 30% stronger. It cranks great when cold or car not hot from WOT.
This happends 20% of the time and normaly starts after it dies with cranking but i have had 20 times not starting right away and been sitting on a green light for 20 seconds cranking the car.
its Worse when you are sitting on a red light,it turns Green you push the gas and the car dies and than you cant start it...and than everybodys horn goes off and you are pretty embaressed with this nice car jamming traffic....

If some of you guys suggests what should i look in to i will and i value your input.
Please no BS on this tread,no remarks off topic and no smart ass suggestions..
No tuner in my country FYI.Only boosted honda ....
Thanks guys.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I get that same sound (#1) when I turn the ignition on sometimes.. I thought it had something to do with my bypass valve or something of the sort.. sounds like a loud puff of air, right? usually, it only happens to me after i drive the car for a while and park it, and then turn the ignition on a day or two later.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:09 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That god damn boom. Pisses me off. I had a tuner that tried to tell me it was an air pocket in the cooler and even though I called BS, get the air out and there's no more air pocket, they still stuck to it.

Can't be an air pocket either because it makes the damn car move, take off your parking brake, put it in gear and turn the ignition, the car will move when it booms.

I don't get it as much as I used to though, if you figure it out, let me know what it is.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got the same Puff problem.
After I installed the TT supra PCV help out alot,Now It's rarely happened.
I asked Church's Tuner,Says It's causing by the AEM EMS and His car did the SAME.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:58 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MY guess is there is some residual fuel in one or more cylinders and when you turn on the IGN you get a spark discharge that ignites the fuel.
Old 04-22-2008, 04:18 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

WOW...I tought i was the only one..
We need to solve this..Its embarasing at one point..i never know when it will happend...Imagine this... u have people around the car admireing the car and you decide to leave and than BOOm...you dont know what it is and when they give you that look and you dont know what to say...Exept...all powerful cars do this ,....hehehe... and you think to yourself..god damn..

Yup the car moves when this happends if its in gear..
I know that it wont brake anything( the boom Itself) but it seems that this is some powerful combustion since the car moves......
another plausable expination is that what WLAURENT said that it might be a spark plug discharge but than this would be a common thing on all AEM users.. and ultimately AEM would have solved this by now.

Guys try pushing the THROTTLE open when you put it in IGN and you will see how loud it is.
No way it can be an airpocket.
hope this tread solves this problem...
Old 04-22-2008, 04:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

did you check the AEM forums?

I have been there in over a year...
Old 04-22-2008, 05:41 PM

I had this problem with the emanage blue. I also had 550cc injectors and a 255 walbro pump. The first time it happened it scared the crap out of me. I thought something was wrong.
Old 04-22-2008, 05:57 PM

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts

I think it is related to the earlier AEM EMS. It is a backfire and I have experienced it many times. I don't like it and will switch out for a newer AEM EMS eventually before N2O time.
Old 04-22-2008, 06:54 PM

there are a few threads about that puff/boom. it is mainly with AEM users. I have it also.

Quick Reply: I need help on solving 2 problems