S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Kraftwerks SC inbound, advice would be helpful.

Old 03-14-2019, 09:53 AM

Received 426 Likes on 362 Posts

Less voltage drop from the thicker gauge wires which translates to higher flow from the pump.
Old 03-15-2019, 03:20 PM

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Code
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Spectre Performance 97290 3" 100° Aluminum Elbow with 6" Leg

by Spectre Performance
Be the first to review this item
List Price:$49.99 Price:$26.83 Free Shipping for Prime MembersYou Save:$23.16 (46%)
its actually cheaper than I remember!
i ordered this from amazon and it showed up at 4 inch piping, so the sent me another one... same problem... reached out to spectre and they say that part number 97290 is a 4 inch pipe and that amazons listing is wrong. searching through spectre website i cant find anything similar in a 3 inch so im prolly going to get something customer built
Old 03-16-2019, 04:13 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Damn, same ended up happening to me, the one i show in the pictures is actually https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009M9990W?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_pd_title

I'm so sorry man I had ordered a couple and forgot to update my last post I'll edit it right now. This one is the right one though and works perfect.
Old 03-16-2019, 04:22 AM

I have been texting back and forth with another member here who has the new revision kit from KW and just had the main pulley bolt fail it broke. Given all of the modifications we have made, I think I've singled out my biggest single fear at this point to simply that center main bolt that goes between the pulley connection and the supercharger itself. We've seen a number of these other failures. I won't name this individual they're more than welcome to comment if they want, but they had mentioned that they had even called to speak with LHT and seem to have really done their homework calling around to verify belt tension. But they were told is that you keep it loose you start the car and you listen for a rattle and then you start to tighten it until the rattle goes away. He felt the belt was very loose when it was cold and it tightened up a fair bit when it got warm. I had asked him why he thought it broke he had felt that the tension was still too loose and that when giving it gas it could actually almost create what sounded like kind of maybe rubber band effect or snap pressure from a loose belt going very tight and maybe that was a culprit. With all of these updates I think we will have eliminated all potential failure points except for that single damn bolt. Unfortunately that thing is a bear to try to take out on your own without potentially damaging the unit. I think it's time we should all comment on belt tension and get the input from people that have had very successful kits.
Old 03-16-2019, 02:44 PM

Damn, same ended up happening to me, the one i show in the pictures is actually https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B009M...mob_b_pd_title

I'm so sorry man I had ordered a couple and forgot to update my last post I'll edit it right now. This one is the right one though and works perfect.
appreciate the update!

I have been texting back and forth with another member here who has the new revision kit from KW and just had the main pulley bolt fail it broke. Given all of the modifications we have made, I think I've singled out my biggest single fear at this point to simply that center main bolt that goes between the pulley connection and the supercharger itself. We've seen a number of these other failures. I won't name this individual they're more than welcome to comment if they want, but they had mentioned that they had even called to speak with LHT and seem to have really done their homework calling around to verify belt tension. But they were told is that you keep it loose you start the car and you listen for a rattle and then you start to tighten it until the rattle goes away. He felt the belt was very loose when it was cold and it tightened up a fair bit when it got warm. I had asked him why he thought it broke he had felt that the tension was still too loose and that when giving it gas it could actually almost create what sounded like kind of maybe rubber band effect or snap pressure from a loose belt going very tight and maybe that was a culprit. With all of these updates I think we will have eliminated all potential failure points except for that single damn bolt. Unfortunately that thing is a bear to try to take out on your own without potentially damaging the unit. I think it's time we should all comment on belt tension and get the input from people that have had very successful kits.
so ive had good success with belt tension and im pretty sure my method found me a sweet spot, on first install i def over tightened the belt. as far as the pulley on the supercharger, mine is held on by 6 allen head bolts unless im missing something, don't know if they revised it or if im thinking of something different but i dont have any fear of bolts breaking, simply a fear of the belt breaking because the belt actually grazes the serpentine belt tensioner until everything warms up and the belt tightens. Im debating grinding down the tensioner bolt it makes contact with as i dont want any long term damage to the belt
Old 03-16-2019, 09:56 PM

Received 616 Likes on 422 Posts

Oh goddamnit....What size blower? I've heard reports of the -91 & 92 head units having this issue, but not the smaller -81s....I could be wrong though. Some have even reported multiple failures in a row of this bolt. I vividly remember seeing this exact issue while I was reading up on KWs for some time, and it happened on here, I linked the thread below. Unfortunately there appears to be a few people with that issue, and one of them had a hell of time with KW getting it sorted....In the case of one of them the impeller actually seized inside of the unit and caused the shaft or bolt to snap in half.

Originally Posted by outeiroj

so ive had good success with belt tension and im pretty sure my method found me a sweet spot, on first install i def over tightened the belt. as far as the pulley on the supercharger, mine is held on by 6 allen head bolts unless im missing something, don't know if they revised it or if im thinking of something different but i dont have any fear of bolts breaking, simply a fear of the belt breaking because the belt actually grazes the serpentine belt tensioner until everything warms up and the belt tightens. Im debating grinding down the tensioner bolt it makes contact with as i dont want any long term damage to the belt
The 6 allen bolts are actually going into an adapter ring that's held into the actual supercharger by one large allen bolt; that's what's connecting the supercharger pulley to the planetary rollers which drive the compressor shaft. LHT actually has a pretty good video of them dissecting a Rotrex headunit.

Here's a few pics, taken from a thread started by @The Machine who had the same failure as noted by Code above. Also, here's the link to the thread: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-fo...ience-1124189/

In the case of this particular failure that Code is talking about I think the theory holds up that too slack of a belt can lead to a rubber banding effect which could place acute shock lateral loading onto the bolt, and we definitely know that higher grade bolts are much more brittle when it comes to side-loading. I'm assuming that's undoubtedly a grade 12.9 bolt. Unfortunately unless you can get a bolt extractor to get that broken bolt out you'll need to send the blower back to Rotrex for them to open it up; if you do your warranty is toast.

Last edited by Kyle; 03-16-2019 at 10:16 PM.
Old 03-17-2019, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Kyle

Oh goddamnit....What size blower? I've heard reports of the -91 & 92 head units having this issue, but not the smaller -81s....I could be wrong though. Some have even reported multiple failures in a row of this bolt. I vividly remember seeing this exact issue while I was reading up on KWs for some time, and it happened on here, I linked the thread below. Unfortunately there appears to be a few people with that issue, and one of them had a hell of time with KW getting it sorted....In the case of one of them the impeller actually seized inside of the unit and caused the shaft or bolt to snap in half.

The 6 allen bolts are actually going into an adapter ring that's held into the actual supercharger by one large allen bolt; that's what's connecting the supercharger pulley to the planetary rollers which drive the compressor shaft. LHT actually has a pretty good video of them dissecting a Rotrex headunit.

Here's a few pics, taken from a thread started by @The Machine who had the same failure as noted by Code above. Also, here's the link to the thread: https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-fo...ience-1124189/

In the case of this particular failure that Code is talking about I think the theory holds up that too slack of a belt can lead to a rubber banding effect which could place acute shock lateral loading onto the bolt, and we definitely know that higher grade bolts are much more brittle when it comes to side-loading. I'm assuming that's undoubtedly a grade 12.9 bolt. Unfortunately unless you can get a bolt extractor to get that broken bolt out you'll need to send the blower back to Rotrex for them to open it up; if you do your warranty is toast.
hmm odd... how many failures like this have occured? this is the first im hearing about it and curious if it might be a one off thing?
Old 03-18-2019, 12:18 AM

Received 616 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by outeiroj
hmm odd... how many failures like this have occured? this is the first im hearing about it and curious if it might be a one off thing?
It seems to be quite prevalent across all platforms, and mainly an issue with the Rotrex itself, although all cars experiencing failures are running a KW kit. Keep in mind though, I think the s2000 is the only platform that utilizes a cogged setup; the K20 guys have ribbed belts and are still breaking hubs, so I don't think you can blame the cog belt exclusively. The rev limiter scare is also hard to make out to be fact or myth. Some people report banging off the rev limiter all day every day with no issues on a Rotrex charger, others go white at the mere mention of Rotrex and rev limiter in the same sentence. I haven't done a ton of digging, but here's threads with broken shafts/bolts:

https://www.k20a.org/forum/showthread.php?t=182546

https://www.8thcivic.com/forums/supe...-c38-81-a.html

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-forced-induction-142/my-overall-bad-experience-kraftwerks-1135337/

I believe @NIKS2K had an issue with broken hub bolts on here, he supposedly made a stronger bolt for that, and then ended up buying a TTS kit instead lol.

Here's some pics from the FB group. The breaking bolt isn't just limited to the main hub, but also the other pulleys as well, which is why we upgrade the tensioner pulley bolt as well as the ARP stud for the other pulley. These pics are all separate occurrences. Check out the "Kraftwerks Supercharged S2000 Owners" group if you're not already a part of it on FB and search "broken bolt".

EDIT: So it seems that these hub bolt failures occur the most on the C38 line (-81, -91, and -92) according to my quick research, so I retract my statement about just the -91 & 92s, it encompasses -81s as well. The Miata guys report almost zero to no failures running the smaller C30 series. From all the talk (might be just hearsay) the C30 seems to be much more robust in comparison to the C38 when it comes to the hub bolt / impeller shaft

Last edited by Kyle; 03-18-2019 at 12:25 AM.
Old 03-18-2019, 01:29 AM

Received 187 Likes on 161 Posts

All things considered, the KW kit sounds more and more like an expensive disaster waiting to happen... with all the changes required to strengthen the kit, it defeats the purpose of simply bolt-on and go...
Yeah mileage varies and some have had good experiences but it seems like failure is more prevalent than not.
Old 03-18-2019, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
All things considered, the KW kit sounds more and more like an expensive disaster waiting to happen... with all the changes required to strengthen the kit, it defeats the purpose of simply bolt-on and go...
Yeah mileage varies and some have had good experiences but it seems like failure is more prevalent than not.
While I'm scared because I do feel like agreeing, I've worked in this industry years ago and remember a certain part we sold had a similar feedback string of failures, I actually saw how many orders went out the door though and it was 100 units with no complaints to every one failure. We are potentially in an echo chamber. Kyle may have seen more but I've only seen a good 20 some cases of failures, and many have been solved quite easily with better bolts/ loctite. Lht is not seeing consistent major failures and they have done 60 kits alone. They don't have any super special installation anymore that we can't do here, in fact between kw updates and our bolt updates the only thing that separates us now is belt tension. I'd also be curious to see how many failures are just taking the kit and slapping it on. There are so many factors. The only thing I'm worried about is the main hub bolt shearing.

Quick Reply: Kraftwerks SC inbound, advice would be helpful.