S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Misc Build Questions

Old 01-30-2011, 08:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Misc Build Questions

Here I will post misc questions that I don't know the answer too, lol.

#1. The misc grounds that come off the motor/etc. Do they have to go to the same point, or can they just go anywhere? I think there is one or 2 that was supposed to go to the back of the block/head? I didn't re-attach that when I dropped the motor in, and now it seems impossible to put back in that place, thoughts?

#2. I didn't tighten the crank pulley bolt before I put the tranny back on...I don't have the shifter back on yet, so I'm not sure with it in gear if it will turn, maybe with e-brake. What do you all use? It takes 181 ft lbs.

I think there are more, but I will update this when I remember, lol.

Thoughts/flames/comments welcome.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=siadam,Jan 30 2011, 09:08 PM]

#2.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:30 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Put the crank pulley on with an impact, I've NEVER torqued a crank pulley on....haha. But as said above, the correct way to do it is with the crank pulley tool.

As far as the grounds, specifically the one you are talking about on the back of the head, I would attach to the motor somewhere. Those are sensor/logic grounds for the engine sensors. I just built a new harness and if you chase those back in the harness, they eventually tie into the shield wires for the knock, cam and crank sensors, then tie into the ECU and chassis ground as well. I wouldn't mess with those, it's not that bad getting them bolted back on the head. Will it work grounded somewhere else?? Probably/maybe, but I would just bolt in back where it was intended. Unless of course you decide to build your own harness and have your motor solidly mounted to the chassis.

The other grounds in the car don't really matter though, as long as they are tied to a good clean chassis ground..
Old 01-31-2011, 07:54 AM

The service manual says specifically to NOT use an impact wrench, lol.

I've used them in the past on my other motors, just figured I'd ask here. I don't have a crank tool, I wonder if it's easy to pickup one, I hate to pay $$ for something I'll only use 1 or 2 times.

As for the grounds, I'll look into trying to figure it out, just doesn't seem like much room to work back there.

I've got 3 grounds, and I'm not sure what goes where to be honest.

One or 2 of them come off the main harness, and another one I have setting on the work bench, forget where it went, lol.

I never have had people help me in the past, and I let a few friends help me pull the motor, so I didn't see where some of this stuff came apart
Old 01-31-2011, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

usually rent the crank tool at autozone just have to put a deposit down
Old 01-31-2011, 08:09 AM

Originally Posted by siadam,Jan 31 2011, 10:54 AM
The service manual says specifically to NOT use an impact wrench, lol.
All the service manuals say that. Most people still use impacts.

Do you have any friends who work at a Honda dealership? If not, you could probably make your own tool. Its a 50mm nut and just make sure you can get a socket through the middle.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:46 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

[QUOTE=siadam,Jan 31 2011, 12:54 PM] The service manual says specifically to NOT use an impact wrench, lol.

I've used them in the past on my other motors, just figured I'd ask here.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:52 AM
3en

Every tech at each dealership I work at just uses a impact wrench to pull that crank pulley bolt.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by PsykotiK,Jan 31 2011, 08:58 AM
usually rent the crank tool at autozone just have to put a deposit down
I called @ lunch, both auto zone and advanced said they do not have them.

Impact it is!!
Old 01-31-2011, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by boostedf22c,Jan 31 2011, 09:46 AM
Is the ground a bigger gauge wire. If so, that's probably the engine ground. It goes on the back side of the engine (intake manifold side) down by the oil pan, near where the bellhousing bolts up. It attaches to a spot right by the motor mount on the driver side. You should see (2) 6mm holes for bolts. That's where it goes.

For some reason I thought I remember there being 2 grounds on the engine block on that side, and I thought the other one went up around the brake lines somewhere (on the frame rail), but that's just going off of memory, which isn't all that great.

The ones that come off the main harness by the firewall up high go to the head. A ratchet wrench makes pretty easy work of those two. They attach to the head with 6mm bolts as well.

Hope that helps.
If I remember tonight, I'll take pics.

I have those 3 grounds, and a couple other misc things I'm not sure where they go.

The one ground that I can remember comes right off teh harness. The other one looks to come from the drivers side fender, which might bolt to the intake manifold or something??

The last one, which is the one that is completely off the car, I have both of the bolts and is the longest of the 3. I beleive there are 2 places on the back of the block/head that it is supposed to go.

You are saying it bolts from the motor to the frame, or to the bell housing on the tranny?

Quick Reply: Misc Build Questions