S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

My overactive imagination

Old 08-23-2005, 12:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My overactive imagination

Okay. So for all the guys who run mulitple pulleys on the SCs this is for us. What if anything would make it unfeasible to use a 12 or 14# pulley on and SC with an electronicly controled waste gate so that all you had to do was disable the boost limit and swap maps with your laptop to run on whatever race gas you use instead of getting out of the car and chaning the pulley and changing the maps and so on etc. PLUS you would get the cool wastegate sound as your 14# pulley passed 7psi ( or whatever you daily drive at). Someone shoot this down before I try it.

2nd idea.

Has anyone ever tried to use the spearco front mount aftercooler peice with one of those Ntercooler kits that spray C02 onto the intercooler to cool the charge air? would it freeze the water with enough duration?

Never seen either of these done but I got the wastegate idea while reading and old article on twin charging.

let the flame begin.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:11 PM

Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

You could also use an 18 psi pulley and have some type of wastegate that would open at say 12 psi. This would give you a lot more low end torque and hp because you would see 12 psi from say 4500 rpm all the way to redline.

It would be more like what a turbo would give you.
Old 08-23-2005, 02:21 PM

Two things-

-A wastegate is from a turbo's exhaust side to "waste" exhaust gas so it does not continue to build boost pressure. A blowoff valve is used with superchargers and turbos to "blow off" pressure in the charge piping when the throttle shuts (The Whoosh or whistle sound is the blowoff valve)

-You have a strange imagination.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:07 PM

So what you are saying is that it would work right?

But don't all the pulleys for the Comptech blower 10,11,14, etc. still make boost in the same manner. ie after vtech. (the same power curve on a dyno just shifted upwards). so there would still only be enough boost to compensate for the drag lose on the sub6k rpm side of the power band. ie. streetable on road gas. it just seems like a relativly inexpensive way for people to have that option without changing pulleys all the time. I personally got the SC so there wouldn't be all that boost and torque on the low end and it would feel very much like a stock motor BUT when i want to get on it another story all together. the 500$ some odd dollars it would cost someone might be worth it if they are used to getting under the hood everytime they want to up the power.
Old 08-23-2005, 03:10 PM

"-A wastegate is from a turbo's exhaust side to "waste" exhaust gas so it does not continue to build boost pressure."

exactly the point maximize the effeciency of the SC with a smaller pulley and just hit 2 buttons to swap maps and turn the boost controller off, pour in some race fuel and bam - you went from 300hp to 375hp. or whatever the numbers may be.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:26 PM

You will be seeing this soon . I am already working on this with a front mount option for the S .

commercial content removed by Slows2k
Old 08-23-2005, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by spoiled@21,Aug 23 2005, 06:10 PM
"-A wastegate is from a turbo's exhaust side to "waste" exhaust gas so it does not continue to build boost pressure."

exactly the point maximize the effeciency of the SC with a smaller pulley and just hit 2 buttons to swap maps and turn the boost controller off, pour in some race fuel and bam - you went from 300hp to 375hp. or whatever the numbers may be.
You will only be able to change peek power from where boost was previously set ,and up.

Max pulley size will be set by what the max impeller speed is for given supercharger.

But yes the whole piont is to bring on boost in the lower RPM range.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:15 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Spaceman's point (and a valid one it is) is that you can't use a 'wastegate' on an SC because it is not exhaust driven.

A turbo is driven by the exhaust. A wastegate diverts the exhaust flow from the turbine when the desired pressure is reached hence limiting the turbo speed.

An SC is crank driven. It has nothing to do with the exhaust so a wastegate is irrelevant.

There are two ways to control the pressure output of an SC. One is to control the speed of the compressor using either an infinitely variable gearbox (see DAF, Honda CVT, or even Paxton's planetary ball bearing system) between the crank and compressor, or an electronic clutch (like on the AC compressor). The other is to generate the airflow as usual but using a blow off valve to bleed off pressure above a certain level. The problem with any of these methods is that they either cost more power (drivng a gearbox) or waste power (generating and then venting airflow).

Either way, a 'wastegate' doesn't come into it.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:27 PM

I see you mean a wastegate bleeds off straight from the exhaust to maintain a certain impeller speed? That makes perfect sense. I thought it was an electronic bov of sorts. damn foiled again.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:33 PM

so the C02 will not freeze the water?

Quick Reply: My overactive imagination