S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Is My Turbo Healthy? Wheel Making Contact With Compressor Housing

Old 07-09-2014, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I THINK these light scratches can occur when you start the car or on a engine shutdown. You need the oil pressure to stabiliZe the wheel.

Im not an expert but as long as it isnt smoking and is operating normally then i THINK its good. Especially since you mentioned you are still in that acceptable range of shaft play.

Anyone chime in with some good turbo knowledge? Im sure lots of people just write down what they THINK but that surely doesnt mean they are right
Old 07-09-2014, 05:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nyther
I THINK these light scratches can occur when you start the car or on a engine shutdown. You need the oil pressure to stabiliZe the wheel.

Im not an expert but as long as it isnt smoking and is operating normally then i THINK its good. Especially since you mentioned you are still in that acceptable range of shaft play.

Anyone chime in with some good turbo knowledge? Im sure lots of people just write down what they THINK but that surely doesnt mean they are right
Thanks for the response. It'd be great if you're right, but I really have no idea lol.

Anyone else want to chime in?
Old 07-09-2014, 05:24 PM

Chance, I will shoot you a pm. Just saw this. This turbo from what i was told only has 2000-2500 miles on it. Its d-bo's old setup. And as far as I know he never had issues nor did James the guy I got it from. Both of them seemed to be really good guys! I checked the wheel play when I got it and nothing looked out of the normal.
Old 07-09-2014, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by lude92_si
Chance, I will shoot you a pm. Just saw this. This turbo from what i was told only has 2000-2500 miles on it. Its d-bo's old setup. And as far as I know he never had issues nor did James the guy I got it from. Both of them seemed to be really good guys! I checked the wheel play when I got it and nothing looked out of the normal.
Thanks for the PM, I appreciate it! I guess I'll just have to see what happens.

If anyone else has any opinions feel free to post. I'm considering calling/emailing BW and seeing what their opinion on this is.
Old 07-09-2014, 08:54 PM

whatever you do, STOP driving the car with that turbo NOW. i had a turbo just like that ( but precision 6262) and eventually fragments went inside my engine and took the crank, damage the head too. luckily my sleves were good.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by s2guru
whatever you do, STOP driving the car with that turbo NOW. i had a turbo just like that ( but precision 6262) and eventually fragments went inside my engine and took the crank, damage the head too. luckily my sleves were good.
Was your 6262 journal or ball bearing?
Old 07-11-2014, 04:23 AM

I'm going to go ahead and bump this up; I'd really like to get a few more opinions (although general consensus is definitely to get it re-balanced). I'm really hoping Nyther is right but I may be clinging to false hope

I'll go ahead and call Borg sometime soon.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:50 AM

To send the turbo out to get re-balance is two weeks at most lead time and 100-150 bucks depending on the shop.

150 dollars or a new engine honestly man don't risk it. If you keeping thinking this way you've got a long haul down the road with a turbo on the S2k!

Good luck.
Old 07-11-2014, 05:14 AM

Originally Posted by Em2jdm
To send the turbo out to get re-balance is two weeks at most lead time and 100-150 bucks depending on the shop.

150 dollars or a new engine honestly man don't risk it. If you keeping thinking this way you've got a long haul down the road with a turbo on the S2k!

Good luck.
Very true! I was going to see what price it would cost to get it re-balanced, (once again, I'm pretty sure I can still re-use the compressor wheel/turbine/etc) and if it was under the low end of $200 it's definitely just worthwhile to get it done.
Old 07-11-2014, 04:59 PM
Community Organizer

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

majestic turbo Waco texas they rebuilt my top turbo on my compound setup on my dodge cummins they do good work look em up and no a journal bearing turbo should not have contact between the turbine and housing. I would think to much drive pressure to little oil pressure or it was shut off to many times with the wheel still spinning. turbo timers are great

Quick Reply: Is My Turbo Healthy? Wheel Making Contact With Compressor Housing