S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Precision Turbo Restrictor Question

Old 05-07-2012, 02:07 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Precision Turbo Restrictor Question

Typically, only ball bearing turbos use oil restrictors, but I vaguely recall some of the JB Precision users on this board running them. If you're running an JB Precision turbo, what size restrictor did you use (if any). TIA

fwiw, I'll be using a JB Precision 6262

-Kyle
Old 05-07-2012, 02:46 PM

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

Ball bearing turbos run a .035 restrictor
Not ball bearing turbos run a .060 restrictor
Old 05-07-2012, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by herecomesboost
Typically, only ball bearing turbos use oil restrictors, but I vaguely recall some of the JB Precision users on this board running them. If you're running an JB Precision turbo, what size restrictor did you use (if any). TIA

fwiw, I'll be using a JB Precision 6262

-Kyle
I wanna say mine is a .06 something. If you have a good return line and the turbo still smokes, I would use a restictor. I have my timing cover tapped and I run one on my a journal pt6262.
Old 05-07-2012, 04:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I appreciate the responses. Found a .060 restrictor to use with my -3AN feed
Old 05-07-2012, 05:21 PM

I was told by precision to NOT use a restrictor even when I told them it was going on a S2000.

Still put a .060 (or maybe .065) on my JB PT6262 with -3AN feed
Old 05-07-2012, 05:30 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

The geniuses at precision only told me that they don't need a lot of pressure... just a lot of volume. Whatever the f that means.

I'd get either a forced performance or Peterson inline oil filter to drop the pressure a little.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:59 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by wadzii
The geniuses at precision only told me that they don't need a lot of pressure... just a lot of volume. Whatever the f that means.

I'd get either a forced performance or Peterson inline oil filter to drop the pressure a little.
I have the forced performance one on my BB 6262 works great! Still haven't had to clean any contaminants off the screen but I guess that's a good thing
Old 05-08-2012, 10:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by H4RD ON
I was told by precision to NOT use a restrictor even when I told them it was going on a S2000.

Still put a .060 (or maybe .065) on my JB PT6262 with -3AN feed

That's ridiculous! I've got a restrictor and had no problems, the only person I know first hand who didn't had his turbo fail just a few thousand miles in.

Was the person you spoke to aware of the oil pressure the S2K operates at? I assume not, or he's simply a complete moron. It'll cause a oil leak without a doubt after a bit.

I've got a ball-bearing setup so mine is greatly restricted of course. I should be honest and mention I've a fair bit of shaft play but I also had a BOV that wasn't doing it's job for a bit due to a small tear in the bladder which I didn't catch as soon as I should have.

-Greg
Old 05-08-2012, 10:18 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by wadzii

OK, I've seen your other posts (which I regard quite highly) but are you joking here? Certainly you know what they mean right? They want a lot of volume, meaning the outlet size of the turbo is rather large thus it takes a lot of volume to keep pressure on the journal proper, though the pressure itself doesn't need to be high.

Restricting the oil as we do is actually not the best solution as it's quite inconsistent but it's effective since our oil pressure and the inlet/outlet sizes are pretty consistent. Certainly you know abouve CFM vs PSI, they essentially want a lot of volume of oil to move through the turbo but they want it at low pressure as the seals don't appreciate high pressure. By restricting the oil inlet size we're limiting flow which equates in this case due to large outlet to rather low pressure and solves the problem.

Again, from your other posts I gather you know your shit, so idk if you just didn't think this through or I missed some sarcasm.
Old 05-09-2012, 12:40 AM

Ok I am lost.. Is it ok to just run a 0.35 restrictor on the turbo? Or do we need to buy an inline filter?

If it's recommended that I buy an additional filter can you guys drop some info on them. With the forced performance one can it only be used with -4an lines. Do they inline filters require any additional parts for installation?

Quick Reply: Precision Turbo Restrictor Question