S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

pro and cons of turbos

Old 12-08-2013, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pro and cons of turbos

so im writing an argumentative paper on why i think turbos are better than naturally aspirated engines. my main focuses are on power in comparison to non turbo engines (the supra is a good example since they have na, turbo and twin turbo options on the same motor), mpg (which iv heard is better with a turbo but then iv heard the opposite), and reliability.

what im asking of the s2ki community is for:
-another factor worth arguing about that i have missed
-opinion on all 3 of my main focuses
-your personal figures before and after installing a turbo(if you have any) if possible power gains and mpg
-any good sources, on turbos, you know about
-personal experiences with reliability

any input will be helpful, thank you in advanced
Old 12-08-2013, 06:35 PM

Received 63 Likes on 24 Posts

i could write that paper in my sleep after having a turbo s2k for 4 years... too much to type. lol
Old 12-08-2013, 07:39 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wrote a paper on the same topic a few years ago . I will see if I can find it tomorrow and look over it.

To be honest, the research is in redo my easy. The main focus of my paper was the fact that smaller, and more fuel efficient turbocharged engines could replace less efficient, and larger naturally aspirated ones and both would perform the same.
Old 12-09-2013, 04:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Compared to a supercharger, a turbo generates ''free power''. The exhaust gas that normally goes to waste, now is being put to good use. A supercharger costs power to generate more.

I would look in to the history of turbochargers too. It was a pretty new way of producing more power back in the 80's (bmw 745i for example. That's a turbocharged 5/6/735 engine) but such models were not really reliable, and turbo's never became really popular.
Nowadays, cars in Europe that produce little emission, cost less to buy and own. So every car manufacturer tries to produce cars with as little emission as possible, but still powerful enough. Therefore, since a few years the turbo has become really popular in the car industry. Because now pretty much every manufacturer uses them, they become more and more realiable by developing newer and better turbochargers.

So yes, long story short: when put to good use, a turbo is capable of making your car more fuel efficient and more powerful. I just don't think this is the right place to ask such questions, because people here are in the search for power. Simply burning more fuel means more power... therefore you need more air, so a turbo comes in handy. When you ask someone who drives a 500hp s2000 about what his setup has done to his fuel efficienty, I don't think you will get the awnsers you're looking for

Sorry for my bad english, it's not my native language. Hope you understand anyway.
cheers
Old 12-09-2013, 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by Jaspah
Compared to a supercharger, a turbo generates ''free power''. The exhaust gas that normally goes to waste, now is being put to good use. A supercharger costs power to generate more.

I would look in to the history of turbochargers too. It was a pretty new way of producing more power back in the 80's (bmw 745i for example. That's a turbocharged 5/6/735 engine) but such models were not really reliable, and turbo's never became really popular.
Cars in Europe that produce little emission, cost less to buy and own. So every car manufacturer tries to produce cars with as little emission as possible, but still powerful enough. Therefore, since a few years the turbo has become really popular in the car industry. Because now pretty much every manufacturer uses them, they become more and more realiable by developing newer and better turbochargers.

So yes, long story short: when put to good use, a turbo is capable of making your car more fuel efficient and more powerful. I just don't think this is the right place to ask such questions, because people here are in the search for power. Simply burning more fuel means more power... therefore you need more air, so a turbo comes in handy. When you ask someone who drives a 500hp s2000 about what his setup has done to his fuel efficienty, I don't think you will get the awnsers you're looking for

Sorry for my bad english, it's not my native language. Hope you understand anyway.
cheers
Your english was very good.

And yes, asking here about pros and cons of turbos, your going to get that "I beat a Z06 corvette, but a month later I broke an axle". I like the above mentioned thesis, comparing na to turbo, and you can cite F1's return to turbos as an example.
Old 12-09-2013, 02:54 PM

its not that i haven't done my own research but nothing beats real life experience! i can say that my s is making 240hp (which is what Honda has on paper) but is my car really pushing 240hp??? i dont think so! in reality its probably closer to 200hp (i researched!)
also no one seems to talk reliability so why not ask a community where some people have lived with a turbo car and probably drove it hard for their opinion?
to all the people who did leave helpful information; the greatest of thanks to you
(if i use quotes from you ill ask how to give you credit in my paper)
Old 12-09-2013, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Jaspah

Nowadays, cars in Europe that produce little emission, cost less to buy and own. So every car manufacturer tries to produce cars with as little emission as possible, but still powerful enough. Therefore, since a few years the turbo has become really popular in the car industry. Because now pretty much every manufacturer uses them, they become more and more realiable by developing newer and better turbochargers.

cheers
super helpful info. its exactly in line with what im writing. would you say that manufacturers are "cheating" by using turbos? are they making less efficient engines cause they expect the turbo to pick up the slack??? (those question are for my personal interest)(your English is fine btw)
Old 12-09-2013, 02:59 PM

Received 72 Likes on 63 Posts

There are no real cons of turbos, only pros. For the most part there's nothing to argue. Turbos make car more powerful and more fuel efficent. The only real con is price.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by Suzuka_Joe
i could write that paper in my sleep after having a turbo s2k for 4 years... too much to type. lol
can you tell me about the reliability of your car. that subject is the one im lacking the most in.
Old 12-09-2013, 03:38 PM

Cons are more karts involved. More parts involved the more likely things to go wrong if not done correct

*parts

Quick Reply: pro and cons of turbos