S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Forced Induction (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-forced-induction-142/)
-   -   Probably Time to Part Ways With my S2000. Endless Problems. Manifold Cracked. (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-forced-induction-142/probably-time-part-ways-my-s2000-endless-problems-manifold-cracked-1142433/)

Chance S2K 12-31-2015 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by JUSTINTHECOASTIE (Post 23840933)

Originally Posted by Chance S2K' timestamp='1451598425' post='23840903
[quote name='Spoolin' timestamp='1451598039' post='23840896']
I'd listen to these guys. Go back stock or sc and enjoy the car and revisit later. If you need a new top, I'll be removing mine with a glass window off my original 16k mile s2k that has been garage kept since new in 02 and never sat in the sun. The top is perfect but not off the car yet and not sure what to price it at. Just an option if you want a glass window top to replace the plastic window unit.

For the time/cash it'd take to go back to stock or SC I'd be better off just selling the car. I'll hold onto the car at least for a couple months more to see if it was just bad luck with the manifold; Nothing much to lose there since worst case scenario (theoretically) I'd just have to go through the warranty process again in the event of another failure. My tuner can also do a ride along with me and monitor things on the EMS and with the car and we can see if there's an issue there.... There may still be hope I guess lol.

I'd definitely be interested in the top depending on if I decide to keep the car and how much you want for it.

I was planning on getting a new Robbins glass top for like $650.

Another option is fixing it and then not touching it until you have a usable budget for it in case it breaks. It's cheap to go back to stock, all you would need is intake and header and street tune :) Me personally, I would fix it, then reduce the amount of boost you're currently running by 25-50% until a budget is developed or another route you want to take becomes clear.
[/quote]
These are good ideas. I honestly hate to admit it but for some reason I didn't think about just doing something like that to go back to N/A. For some reason I kept thinking I'd have to completely replace the stock vacuum system so I could run the stock ECU again, but it'd actually just be a lot easier to leave in the AEM and tune around it. Most expensive cost of that would just be a retune, that could all get done really cheap.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

s2k manic 01-01-2016 12:37 AM

where in Texas are you i am redoing my supercharger kit i have about 40k miles boosted and have built several turbo cars maybe the guys around dfw can help sort some of youre problems. It sounds like your running lean at part throttle or too much timing causing excessive egt's that's what usually kills the manifold. i run a pyrometer on all the turbo vehicles i have built with that and an afr gauge you can get reliability https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/public/st...t-tip-wink.gif

riceball777 01-01-2016 12:50 AM

I love my 600whp turbo s2000. And I simply cannot stand driving a NA or supercharged s2000. The issue is not the car it's YOU. You don't have the time money and the mechanical know how as well as the patience to own and opperiate a high power turbo s2000. You also need a second car with a high power s2000. I love my s2000 I do try to alway keep it running and I try to put a good amount of miles on it but generally I do work on the car on average of at least once a week at least for a few hours always fixing things here and there.
Most of your issues were either a bad choice on parts or improperly installed parts.

Also it's normally for a turbo and manifold to glow red. If I pop my hood at night after driver my turbo s2000 normally with out even boosting the turbo is glowing red. Turbos and tubular manifold get extreamely hot and proper heat shielding and relocations of important parts close to the heat is very important.

I also can't even believe you still have your original 2000-2001 plastic window top. Your bitching cuz your top ripped. Are u kidding me. I'm on my 3rd top already. You can normally only expect the top to last 5-8 years before its needs to be replaced. I normally just but a ex on top on eBay for $450 on eBay and spend a day to change it.

umair 01-01-2016 05:48 AM

Hey sorry for your hard times. I had a similar issue with my civic but at the end of the day i stuck through it and i enjoyed it while i could. One thing i learned is not to worry about future loss when you build your car. I love my s2k and i may take a hit on it but the joy i get everytime i get in it makes me forget about that.
Im gonna be switching out my log manifold this winter and if you want ill give you a great deal on the manifold and downpipe. Its a kings stage 1. Its not gonna crack.

Chance S2K 01-01-2016 06:44 AM

Originally Posted by riceball777 (Post 23841168)
I love my 600whp turbo s2000. And I simply cannot stand driving a NA or supercharged s2000. The issue is not the car it's YOU. You don't have the time money and the mechanical know how as well as the patience to own and opperiate a high power turbo s2000....

....Most of your issues were either a bad choice on parts or improperly installed parts.

....Your bitching cuz your top ripped. Are u kidding me. I'm on my 3rd top already.....

I said numerous times in this thread that I realize all of my problems are sourced from some form of my own shortcomings. I should have waited until other areas in my life were quieter to start this build since I knew there would be a learning curve, and waited until I had the money to do it properly.

I'm also not bitching that my top ripped. I'm saying it's unfortunate because I knew my top was in abnormally good condition for being 15 years old . The cloth was immaculate, it was just the rear plastic window had finally had enough.

Get over yourself.

pwrinxs 01-01-2016 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by riceball777 (Post 23841168)
I love my 600whp turbo s2000. And I simply cannot stand driving a NA or supercharged s2000.

I do work on the car on average of at least once a week at least for a few hours always fixing things here and there.

I couldn't stand driving a turbo that I had to work on at least once a week or always fixing things here and there. My supercharger was installed 3 years and 40,000 miles ago and all I've done is oil changes and basic maintenance. In my opinion thats what the OP needs because like me, his life seems to be super busy in other areas. Don't underestimate 340 to 380 rwhp on this car that will still maintain the original characteristics of the motor and be factory reliable.

umair 01-01-2016 07:18 AM

My car has been pretty reliable while its been boosted.

pwrinxs 01-01-2016 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by umair (Post 23841270)
My car has been pretty reliable while its been boosted.

Turbos are reliable with proper setup, know how, and maintenance. It shouldn't need to be fixed or worked on weekly. But my point was a sc is probably easier to take care of for people like me who don't necessarily have the time or detailed knowledge like others on this forum.

Chuck S 01-01-2016 07:34 AM

Selling a troublesome car will be difficult unless you misrepresent it...

-- Chuck

KaNgArOo 01-01-2016 07:34 AM

Sorry to hear. I also peiced togeather my kit, but half of it was brand new. The only thing i bought used was the manifold and down pipe. I definitely learned a lot from this site to not take the "cheap/short" route to building a reliable turbo s2000. I didnt build my car myself,but i made sure everything that was going on would be the best of the best (that i could afford, and that i thought nessasary.) Ive only had my car turboed for 1 year so far, and its been flawless other than a leaky fpr that has been on the car before since 2006. I hope my car will be perfect for a while longer, but you never know. I believe being turbo really makes this car a lot more fun. Ive been supercharged, and its not nearly as fun, but thats probably because i had the old comptech kit and only made 350whp.