S2KI Honda S2000 Forums

S2KI Honda S2000 Forums (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/)
-   S2000 Forced Induction (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-forced-induction-142/)
-   -   Probably Time to Part Ways With my S2000. Endless Problems. Manifold Cracked. (https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-forced-induction-142/probably-time-part-ways-my-s2000-endless-problems-manifold-cracked-1142433/)

Brutus 01-18-2016 06:31 AM

Do they all Crack at the welded joints? What about additional supports for the turbo assembly?

Steven622 01-18-2016 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by CRVRX (Post 23855402)
Correct, The cast elbows used for this cost around $6 each and manufactured for everything except'Turbo manifolds'

We use 321 Stainless with rigid mount turbos and double slip collectors.(See our K-Sight AWD) But like I mentioned...They all crack..It's the one thing you can bet on.

Your 321 parts cracked? Schedule 40 or 10? What filler rod were you using and what did you use for supports? I've found that using some grade 5 titanium is the best to mount turbos since it'll stand up to the vibration and heat.

Never had a problem, ever. Of course I can always get inconel 625, but then we're talking money.

NWDyno 01-18-2016 09:32 AM

Mine is 321 tubing (16 gauge), no issues

TUKES2k 03-18-2016 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Chance S2K

I said numerous times in this thread that I realize all of my problems are sourced from some form of my own shortcomings. I should have waited until other areas in my life were quieter to start this build since I knew there would be a learning curve, and waited until I had the money to do it properly.

I'm also not bitching that my top ripped. I'm saying it's unfortunate because I knew my top was in abnormally good condition for being 15 years old . The cloth was immaculate, it was just the rear plastic window had finally had enough.

Get over yourself.

Lol!! I got the same response in my post with the "high power s2000".. reading through this made me feel better about what I'm going through... it could be way worse and I haven't even gotten my car up and running yet

Chance S2K 03-19-2016 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by Steven622 (Post 23855220)

Originally Posted by CRVRX' timestamp='1452973238' post='23854117
The biggest problem of turbo builds is cracking manifolds. They all crack. Some last for weeks and some last for years...But they all crack.

It's because literally every vendor outside of Killer B Motorsports, MPFab and a few of the boutiques use garbage 304L which just plain isn't meant for high heat turbo applications....

Originally Posted by NWDyno (Post 23855677)
Mine is 321 tubing (16 gauge), no issues

Are there any turbo manifolds on the market for S2000s that you guys think would be more reliable? I can't possibly imagine that every turbo user on these forums has cracked a manifold at some point, even the 304. I feel like a lot of these manifolds should at least last for a couple years of daily use, even with the occasional romp on the throttle. I'd imagine I'd see a lot more broken manifold posts if that wasn't the case.

Update on my status: The initial cracks on my manifold were re-welded. Funny enough, when I took everything apart I mentioned to my shop that it seemed like the wastegate (which they first put on after welding on an adapter for the flange) was making contact with the motor mount. They assured me that when they put everything together there was a small gap. I now have everything re-assembled, and the manifold cracked AGAIN. I can feel with my finger that there is absolutely no gap and no space between the wastegate and the motor mount. I think when the engine torques it's pushing upward on that wastegate and pushing the manifold so it cracks.

Going to try replacing the manifold under warranty again (really don't want to re-weld a manifold for a second time, seems like I'd be asking for trouble) and having a word with my shop. If the wastegate isn't making contact with that motor mount, I'd like to imagine that the manifold would hold up for some time but now the conversation above about 304 vs 321 steel is making me worry regardless.

Suprdave 03-19-2016 03:11 PM

Full-Race don't crack.

Chance S2K 03-19-2016 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Suprdave (Post 23913705)
Full-Race don't crack.

Full Race only offers their "ProStreet" ram horn T3 manifold and their forward facing manifold. I absolutely would not want to risk buying the ProStreet manifold as I'm already aware of the MASSIVE issue of fitment with bottom mount ram horns on our cars. The forward facing looks good however would require me to relocate my catch can and also fabricate new hot side intercooler pipes.

If I ever swapped out my King Performance log manifold I was hoping to get a Pfab ELT twin scroll here: http://www.pfabrications.com/inc/sdetail/2724/2486. That should require minimal modification to my current pipes.

I suppose I could always call Pang and ask him to fabricate it custom with 321 steel?

Anyway, definitely not writing off forward facing manifolds entirely yet and keeping my option open. I'm curious to hear from CRVRX, Steven, or NWDyno if they have any opinions on manifold manufacturers.

riceball777 03-19-2016 09:21 PM

What it comes to turbo manifolds nohing beats the quality of full race. It's very rare for their manifolds to crack and if it does you know they will be around for the warrantee. Most manifold makers even though they offer life time warrentee they typically don't stay in business for very long. My full race t4 twin scroll manifold for my lancer evo8 has over 80,000 miles on it and has never has any issues.

You really want a manifold that uses schedule 40 piping and not the typical schedule 10. Scheduled 10 is just not thick enough to last and always ends up cracking. Pfab is scheduled 10 and I have seen there manifolds crack many times. Full race uses nice thick schedule 40.

Also it's very important that everything clears the manifold. When the motor moves and if the manifold hits something. It will crack. My track forged sidewinder manifold is made of schedual 40. The manifold weights a ton. But the manifold wastegate elbow was too close to the subframe and every hard brake the engine would rock forward and the wastegate would touch the subframe and I could heard it vibrate. It lasted about a year at 10,000 miles before it cracked from that spot. Track forged warrenteed it and made me a new manifold and it has no clearance problems. And it's been good for the past few years at over 15,000 miles. But I suspect track forged is out of business now since they are not active on the forums and their website is gone.

Moral of the story is buy a good manifold made from thick schedule 40 pipe from a repetiable company that will be around for a long time. I recommend full race.

herecomesboost 03-20-2016 03:37 AM

Just wanted to add that Full Blown also use schedule 40 on their manifolds. OP, which mounts are you using?

camuman 03-20-2016 04:23 AM

Originally Posted by herecomesboost (Post 23913973)
Just wanted to add that Full Blown also use schedule 40 on their manifolds. OP, which mounts are you using?

Full race sidewinder twin scroll here for years. Manifold never cracked. Now the dump tubes is another story. But once they were braced to the block zero problems.