S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Supercharger or Turbo?

Old 01-17-2013, 07:43 PM
Spotter

Received 277 Likes on 232 Posts

To be honest, my decision to go SC was purely a financially based decision. Turbocharged vehicles are more likely to give you issues. All the turbo guys are gonna chime in and say not if its installed right blah blah but at the end of the day you read the posts on these boards and you can see for yourself.

Turbocharged cars give you a much better range of usable power but at the same time you need to value what exactly you want out of the vehicle.

Im shooting for ~400whp/ 250tq I feel like those numbers keep my costs down to avoid replacing transmissions and diffs as the number of times I really hit those big numbers will be minimal.

Superchargers imo are a bit more of a bolt on solution in the sense that come emissions time, you're not stuck swapping back the entire intake and exhaust side of things.

Anyway I don't think I've seen anyone give a good breakdown of pricepoint

For my build at least

Vortech V2 - ~2500 used to 4000new
1000cc injectors ~$450
EMS (AEM - AEMv2) - $700-1200
Fuel Pump - $100-150 depending on whether you go with a walbro 255 or a fullblown/aeromotive 340
Smaller pulley - $120 from ASP racing (they make a great pulley)

Essentially you're looking at ~4000-6000 depending on if you go new or used.

You can always opt for an SOS kit, and essentially add $1000 to both those numbers to get you a used and new total.

Generally for a decent used Turbo set up (I don't speak from experience but observation) you're looking at around the 7-8k mark post everything
Old 01-18-2013, 04:02 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Price will be a bit more than that. Don't forget clutch and gauges. Plus most will need a tune and some will need install labor for clutch and sc. So that there adds another couple grand.
Old 01-18-2013, 04:40 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

See if you remember way back, I said either way it was going to cost you money...now since you have decided you want to be able to smoke a Vette (guessing a buddy has one) you are stepping in, not just dipping a toe in the boost pool. So now you need a kit, injectors, smaller pulley, engine management system, probably want to get a test pipe, possible exhaust change, gauges ( boost, afr and oil pressure for sure). Then you will need to get it all installed, if you cant do it yourself, and then you will need to get it tuned...the later being the most important, all the money you spend on your set up isn't worth $1 if you don't get it tuned by someone who understands our cars and how to tune them. In fact, looking back, I would find the tuner first and work my way back. Have conversations with them about what you want to be able to do, what you don't want to do and then let them help you pick the correct set up. Then all you have to do is find the tuner, there are several on here who are pretty famous and some who are a bit more laid back, but still very knowledgeable. Good luck with your search.
Old 01-18-2013, 08:54 AM
Spotter

Received 277 Likes on 232 Posts

Originally Posted by starrman
In fact, looking back, I would find the tuner first and work my way back. Have conversations with them about what you want to be able to do, what you don't want to do and then let them help you pick the correct set up. Then all you have to do is find the tuner, there are several on here who are pretty famous and some who are a bit more laid back, but still very knowledgeable. Good luck with your search.
Well said
Old 01-21-2013, 01:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm really just wondering how reliable the 12psi blower kit really is on the s.
Old 01-21-2013, 01:51 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I've been at 12 psi for a couple of years now without a single issue from the sc. Only issues at all have been 2 blown coil packs over the last two years.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:49 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000 Cabrio
Dont listen to all of them! Go Turbo!

Evan
Old 01-21-2013, 08:25 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by S2000 Cabrio
Dont listen to all of them! Go Turbo!
Yeah, but go turbo on an AWD car. Match made in heaven. Low end, mid-range, and massive top end combined with the ability to actually use the power in corners. 420 wtq at 4200 RPM with no wheel spin is a beautiful thing.

Keep the S as a beautiful, fun NA roadster, buy an Evo for turbo thrills.
Old 01-21-2013, 09:43 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by Excalibur
I'm really just wondering how reliable the 12psi blower kit really is on the s.
Pretty bullet proof believe it or not. Daily drive it just like a non modded NA S, no other maintenance other then checking/replacing sc belt once in a wile. Increase your oil change intervals typically.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:43 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Turbo, belts are for accessories.

Quick Reply: Supercharger or Turbo?