S2000 Forced Induction S2000 Turbocharging and S2000 supercharging, for that extra kick.

Supercharging in 2018-19; best option?

Old 01-10-2019, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello All, I've been following this post with some interest, as the time is soon coming when I'll have to revise my current S/C setup. I have the "old" kW kit with the c30-94 Rotrex. When the car was in good running order, I loved this kit. I was making about 370 rwhp / 242tq. In the 4 years I've had the car with this kit, I've had two failed belt tensioners, and one failed S/C unit that was thankfully replaced under warranty by Rotrex. As I type this post, my car is currently in the shop for routine maintenance and an odd noise from the S/C (which I'm sure is going to yield bad news).

So at this point, as I revisit having a S/C kit, I'm also thinking about whether or not to go for SOS reliability, or whether to figure out a way to get my car to LHT for a new kW kit.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I recommend SOS Stage 2. Had the stage 1 with a bunch of issues with fueling. I haven't had one worry about anything failing yet after a couple of years.
Old 06-23-2019, 01:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Facebook Post

IMT supercharger on dyno, perfect setup.
Old 06-25-2019, 02:28 PM

Received 71 Likes on 57 Posts

This is a really intresting topic to me;

There are a few heavy hitters for the ap1/ap2 S2000

https://vortechsuperchargers.com/
https://vortechsuperchargers.com/pro...harger-systems
They now sell the CT engineering model; these are sold as CARB legal kit and make around 300 to 330whp.

You have your Science of Speed kit [SOS]
https://www.scienceofspeed.com/index...omponents.html

I hear a lot of praise for these kits and how well made they are. Still sounds like a coffee grinder

You have your kraftwerks supercharger kit

https://kraftwerksusa.com/supercharg...t-compact.html

Know for having to cut your rack a bit for them to fit; the facebook page has good information but you hear issue with installs and reliability from some.
Bolts braking, vtec sil issues; belts coming apart or pulleys braking coming off.
This kit comes down to a good install and setup.

HKS Supercharger kit also know for making less power without upgrades. Needs a smaller battery for install.
https://www.evasivemotorsports.com/s...a-s2000-00-09/

You have your TTS performance kit; people who have it love to mod it hear good things about this
https://www.tts-performance.co.uk/si...Mount-Race-Kit

Now we have the Whipple Kid that just came to market see thread here
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-fo...0-kit-1190276/
Still waiting on more cars and dyno's and videos on this kit.

I am in the market for my 2001 ap1 for a Supercharger and I'm still researching trying to figure out what I want do; you have alot of choices to pick from.
Just make sure you have enough $$ and buy quality parts
Upgraded Clutch for your power needs
Upgraded Injectors to fit your power needs [ID 1000 or better for most]
It's also a good idea to get a Fuel Pressure regulator this will depend on your pump
Upgraded Fuel Pump [If you are going E85 a pump that supports that]
Gauges for safety
A Good EMS and a great Turner to ensure you car is running correctly. [Hondata, AEM, HallTech, Doc, Whatever] Something your tuner knows and can help with.
The great thing about tuning now is we have E tunes so you don't have to drive your car to a remote place; just another option to think about.

These are just a few of the many things to think about when wanting to go Supercharger. I really like this thread as I'm doing all of this right now.

If others who have done the same process could give us some insight on there currently install kit; I would love to hear it.
Old 06-25-2019, 09:37 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

As far as I'm concerned there is no sc kit worth having if it isnt reliable first! Upgraded perfromance comes with any forced induction, just depends how much you want to boost it. But if the kit and how it integrates with the stock car isnt very good then its shit not worth having. I put way too many miles on my S every day to have hedaches and reliability issues. Im in the middle of a 2000 mile round trip West coast 101 adventure in my sos supercharged (stage 1.5) as im writing this. Left Seattle 3 days ago and am in northern California right now. If I have parts on my car that are prone to breaking or failing in some manner then I can't relax and enjoy the car, and i sure as hell would never think of taking it on a 2000 mile road trip!

Last edited by s2000Junky; 06-25-2019 at 09:39 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by s2000Junky:
gotembro (06-26-2019), Lex (06-29-2019)
Old 06-25-2019, 11:09 PM

Received 616 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
As far as I'm concerned there is no sc kit worth having if it isnt reliable first! Upgraded perfromance comes with any forced induction, just depends how much you want to boost it. But if the kit and how it integrates with the stock car isnt very good then its shit not worth having. I put way too many miles on my S every day to have hedaches and reliability issues. Im in the middle of a 2000 mile round trip West coast 101 adventure in my sos supercharged (stage 1.5) as im writing this. Left Seattle 3 days ago and am in northern California right now. If I have parts on my car that are prone to breaking or failing in some manner then I can't relax and enjoy the car, and i sure as hell would never think of taking it on a 2000 mile road trip!

If after all of my research, compiling, etc the KW kit doesn't work out for me then I will definitively know, and I think it will be the bottom line on the kit. I know it has a bad enough rap already, but if care and attention is paid to every detail and it still shits the bed? **** the kit....I know LHT has had great success, and I took most of my info from their install videos. But if this kit fails after I've taken every precaution in a DIY type install then it simply isn't worth the masses bothering with it. If you wanna run it just send your car to LHT as far as I'm concerned. So far I know that Code and Dethred haven't had any mechanical failures yet, no belt breakages etc....But they haven't really racked up the miles either.

Like I said, if this ****s up on me we'll all know SOS is the way to go. It basically already is, but it will 100% take the KW off the table for future runnings for my most people after that. I'll just cut my losses and go SOS if I encounter any major issues. My key reason for going KW over SOS was the sound of the cog drive (I like it, that's subjective) and the simplicity of a FMIC. It's nice to have options.
Old 06-26-2019, 05:39 AM

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle
If after all of my research, compiling, etc the KW kit doesn't work out for me then I will definitively know, and I think it will be the bottom line on the kit. I know it has a bad enough rap already, but if care and attention is paid to every detail and it still shits the bed? **** the kit....I know LHT has had great success, and I took most of my info from their install videos. But if this kit fails after I've taken every precaution in a DIY type install then it simply isn't worth the masses bothering with it. If you wanna run it just send your car to LHT as far as I'm concerned. So far I know that Code and Dethred haven't had any mechanical failures yet, no belt breakages etc....But they haven't really racked up the miles either.

Like I said, if this ****s up on me we'll all know SOS is the way to go. It basically already is, but it will 100% take the KW off the table for future runnings for my most people after that. I'll just cut my losses and go SOS if I encounter any major issues. My key reason for going KW over SOS was the sound of the cog drive (I like it, that's subjective) and the simplicity of a FMIC. It's nice to have options.
I’ve had my kw kit installed since 2016 and other than missing hardware when the kit arrived I haven’t had any issues with the kit. Their customer service was dumb as rocks but adequate to get me my missing hardware and other than replacing some of their bolts with arp stuff right away I’m running a relatively stock setup. The trickiest part of those kit by far is belt tension as excessive belt tension can not only cause premature unit failure but also crankwalk. Evans got me tuned to 451 @ the wheels on 93 octane and it’s been running mint since. I have the updated bracket sitting on my toolbox but haven’t had the time to install it yet.

i don’t remember his username but there is someone on this forum who does competitive racing with his kw kit and hasn’t had any issues

as these kits become older and more information is out there I can see them becoming more reliable with updates and additional r&d
The following users liked this post:
gotembro (06-26-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 10:09 AM

I would love to even setup a new thread with a poll

What Supercharger kit do you have, how long any issues
Pro's and Con's

It's good to get user input when I'm itching to do this to my S.
Old 06-26-2019, 10:56 AM

Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Quad-Damage
I would love to even setup a new thread with a poll

What Supercharger kit do you have, how long any issues
Pro's and Con's

It's good to get user input when I'm itching to do this to my S.
At the end of the day there is considerably more information with the SOS kit and I will never deny that it is a very well engineered kit. However i am if fan of the kw style belt system as well as how complete the kit is, and all said and done it is considerably cheaper than the SOS kit. Also despite the fact there are more people running SOS it’s seems like everyone is running over 400whp on the kw kit out of the box. So if the kit can be made reliable, either by correcting the imperfections of the kit or with proper install, the bang for the buck is there with the kw kit
The following users liked this post:
gotembro (06-26-2019)
Old 06-26-2019, 01:50 PM

^^ I agree I also don't like the coffee grinder sounder of the SOS and the lower whp compared to what I have seen on the KW; and lets be honest the the KW kit look super bad ass.
LTH are months out of KW install they really got the corner of the market but they are accross the USA for me. I did look into shipping back and forth I'm not a big enough baller for that.
Would love to hear from more KW users and SOS users on the topic tho.

Quick Reply: Supercharging in 2018-19; best option?